Outlook Email Send problems
captainron19

I have an email address on my website and I have used outlook express to view and send emails. 

Recently I cannot send email any longer but instead receive the outlook error

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.storksnmore.net', Server: 'mail.storksnmore.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 26, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

A friend of mine also using Verizon (Fios) (I am using DSL) had the same problem but his error code is 0x80042109

I called the company I have the website through and they informed me Verizon must be blocking my outgoing mail server -

Anyone have an idea on a fix?

0 Likes
Re: Outlook Email Send problems
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This has been discussed on a number of threads here ... Verizon has started to block outbound SMTP (port 25) on residential user's machines (because it is one of the most frequently exploited vulnerability by malware and bots to unknowingly send SPAM to users).   This is consistent with efforts that many large ISP's are utilizing to help combat this problem.  

What this means to you is that you can not use the standard SMTP port (port 25) to transmit data to a third party mail server for relay (which is essentially what you're mail client is doing).

Most hosting providers are aware of this initiative and have enabled the usage of an "alternate SMTP" port for their clients to use to send outgoing messages.   The standard port defined for this is port 587, but there are a substantial number of providers which have also chosen to use port 26.   Some sites have chosen a different port entirely.  

In your case, provided the domain you provided is correct, you are hosted by hostican.com -- a quick check of their knowledge base says that if you're using their VPS service, you can go into your control panel and enable outbound mail on an alternate port (they recommend port 26).   I could not find any indication for shared hosting customers on what their outbound port might be (and neither 26 or 587 works).   So, what you need to do is open a support ticket with your hosting provider and ask them what their "alternate SMTP port" is for customers whose ISP is blocking outbound SMTP on port 25.   Whatever port they tell you -- you should then go into your mail client config and replace the number "25" wherever you see it with the port number they provide.