Outlook cannot connect with Verizon (AoL) email.
SamFam
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been using verizon  (AoL) email since the migration a few years ago, now suddenly one of my accounts will no longer connect via Outlook.  I've even tried setting it up via IMAP, and that will not work either. The settings are correct for Pop download (below):

Incoming: Pop.verizon.net SSL 995

Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net SSL 465 (or 578) I've tried both

username uses the entire email address (namexxx@verizon.net)

This particular account is one of 3 email addresses on my account that I have been using for years without issue. Now suddenly, the "enter password" prompt comes up when I open Outlook, and the server times out with the following message:

"The email server rejected your login. Verify your name and password for this account in user settings. The server responded - ERR-{SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later."

I have compared the Outlook settings on this machine to the same Outlook settings on my other computer that uses one of my other email accounts, and the settings are IDENTICAL. I have NOT changed any passwords or anything, but Outlook will NOT connect! As stated above, I cannot even setup the account to use IMAP as I get a similar error. I can log in via the AoL website, but for some reason I can no longer get this particular email address to download to Outlook. 

0 Likes
Re: Outlook cannot connect with Verizon (AoL) email.
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just got today's emails  in my Outlook. Has been working for me for years.

Have you tried my answer here

I can not get my e-mail at times 

0 Likes
SamFam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I have tried everything. My settings for this account in Outlook are IDENTICAL to the settings I use for my primary email address (on my other computer)that works without issue:

Username: #####@verizon.net

POP3

Incoming: pop.verizon.net

Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net

More Settings:

Advanced tab:

Incoming ( POP3 )  : 995

SSL

Outgoing (SMTP) : 587 (or 465, I've tried both)

TLS

Two factor authentication has NEVER been turned on, & I can access the mail on the AoL website using the same credentials as I have used in Outlook for years, and the password has not changed. Out of the blue yesterday, Outlook would prompt for the password, then return the following error:

"...Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.
The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later." 

I have tried setting up the profile from scratch (and on multiple computers), but for this email address, neither Pop nor IMAP will connect through Outlook. 

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have found the Community to be very helpful.

Let us know if they solved your problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes