Outlook for e-mail
merrell1

I had a problem with my Mozilla and when I contacted Verizon I was switched to Outlook.  Everytime I open Outlook a pop up tells me my 2007 Microsoft trial is over and it wants a product key or wants me to buy the program.  I am unable to compose a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail.  I do not like Outlook at all.  When I was switched to Outlook my address book was not transferred.  I can't believe Verizon has such a messed up system.  Please tell me there is help out there to straighten this out!  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Outlook for e-mail
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

merrell wrote:

I had a problem with my Mozilla and when I contacted Verizon I was switched to Outlook ...  

MS Outlook and Mozilla are two quite distinct pieces of software.  Mozilla as the term is commonly used refers to an open source browser, the type of software folks use for "surfing the net" for example.  MS Outlook is a proprietary mail and calendar tool that is part of MS Office.  Verizon cannot actually "switch" you from one to the other;  this is a choice you make on your own.  Actually, the choice is between getting your mail online (via a web mail application), or getting it downloaded to your computer (via a "mail client").  See below.

merrell wrote:
... Everytime I open Outlook a pop up tells me my 2007 Microsoft trial is over and it wants a product key or wants me to buy the program.  I am unable to compose a new e-mail or reply to an e-mail.  I do not like Outlook at all.  When I was switched to Outlook my address book was not transferred ...

This happens because you have not actually purchased the product.  What probably happened is that you purchased a computer loaded with a trial version of MS Office or MS Outlook.  These "lite" applications are only valid for either a certain period of time, or for a certain number of uses.  In your case the trial has ended and your software is no longer valid.  Is it possible that the person you spoke to only recommended Outlook?  If you have not used Outlook before, I am afraid that the learning curve is a bit steep, and it is probably overkill if you only want to do email.

merrell wrote:
...   I can't believe Verizon has such a messed up system.  Please tell me there is help out there to straighten this out! ...

You don't have to believe this, because Verizon has nothing to do with Outlook or your choice of email methods.   First you must decide if you want to go online for your mail (i.e., use "web mail"), or download it to your own computer (i.e., use a "mail client").  Next you can choose among many versions for either setup.  I suggest you type "email client" into the search bar at the top of the page and then read through the results to learn about your options.  there are many possibilities, so some homework will be required.
Re: Outlook for e-mail
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Top 11 Free Email Programs for Windows

Here are several email programs you have to choose from, there are likely more, but these are the most popular. 

Your issue with mozilla was likely a configuration problem on your PC, and Verizon Provided you a work around.  Since the work around works, you can rest assured that Verizon is delivering the service to your house without issue. What that means is that if you really want to get mozilla working, then you can pursue it further on the mozilla forums, or even having a PC person (friend family or tech) take a look and help you out.

I like outlook myself, I use both outlook express and outlook 2010.  I also like Thunderbird.   So it's a preference issue.  You have a lot of choices for email programs, just a matter of which works best for you.