Outlook "Send/Receive" Intermittent Error Dialog Box
Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

Has anything changed recently with Verizon's POP server settings?  I've been getting intermittent Outlook "Send/Receive" errors, starting about 3 days ago.

I haven't seen a pattern to the dialog box frequency appearances.  It may appear 1-2 hours apart (my Outlook stays open when I'm at my PC.  When I poll the Verizon server (do a manual "Send/Receive" command in Outlook), it will work some of the time, same as when Outlook is automatically checking the server every 5 minutes.

Here's the screencap of the dialog box that randomly appears: (I erased my username for the screencap)

I haven't changed my Outlook account settings since the last time Verizon sent out an e-mail requesting a change in the POP servier port which was around 2-3 years ago.  Here's my Outlook acct setup screencaps.  Personal info has been erased.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Outlook "Send/Receive" Intermittent Error Dialog Box
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yes, Verizon updated their pop/smtp server settings. Below are the current settings. (Please not that your screenshots have not yet been approved, so I cannot currently see them.)

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up fictional account "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: pop.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes
Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Server: smtp.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes (You can set it to use the same settings as incoming, or manually enter the username and password.)
Port: 465

If you are given the option anywhere for Secure Password Authentication (SPA), set it to No or Normal

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the server names are: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net -and- outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

View solution in original post

Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

I found this article in the Verizon Support section which indicates that the Incoming POP3 server port # should be set to 995 and the Outgoing SMTP server # should be set to 465 .

If this article is current, then that may be the reason I'm having intermittent Send/Receive errors, assuming that Verizon made these port changes about 3 days ago.

Can somone verify the article's posting date, if it's accurate or is it outdated information?

0 Likes
tarheeljoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am getting the same errors over the last three days or so.

Yesterday I found the same document you linked and tested the port changes, but the test account settings function in Outlook 2013 account settings failed both sending and receiving with the new port numbers. Sometimes it would just time out, sometimes it would give an error such as can't connect to server or an authentication error.

I also noticed that I am setup with

POP serve:r incoming.verizon.net

SMTP server: outgoing.verizon.net

and the documentation lists these settings as

pop.verizon.net

smtp.verizon.net

I tried changing those settings as well in combination with both my old port numbers (110 incoming and 23 outgoing) and the new port numbers you linked. All these combinations failed the test account setting function in the account setup. Checking "this server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" on the advanced screen also caused the test account settings to fail.  Maybe I am missing some combination of settings that would work, but I am pretty sure I tried them all.

So I had to put everything back to the original settings and the intermittent errors are still occuring.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. Driving me crazy!

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yes, Verizon updated their pop/smtp server settings. Below are the current settings. (Please not that your screenshots have not yet been approved, so I cannot currently see them.)

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up fictional account "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: pop.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes
Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Port: 995

Outgoing Server: smtp.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes (You can set it to use the same settings as incoming, or manually enter the username and password.)
Port: 465

If you are given the option anywhere for Secure Password Authentication (SPA), set it to No or Normal

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the server names are: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net -and- outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm using Outlook 2013

Please see attachment

tarheeljoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I made the changes that somegirl listed. The setting I was missing is that on  the Outlook 2013 Advanced tab, when you set the outgoing server to 465, you have to use the dropdown under that setting to select SSL ("Use the following type of encrypted selection")

So I changed everything to match up to those settings and all accounts tested ok. Will see now if the error goes away.

Thanks!

Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

somegirl

Thanks for the info.  I changed my Outlook Acct settings and will see how it goes.  Since the problem is intermittent, I'll post back here later today with result info.

tarheeljoe

Thanks for verifying that this issue wasn't unique to my PC/Outlook, etc.  That info helps a lot for other customers that are having the same problems as can verify that a change was made on the provider's end of things.

TomH309

Thanks for the attachment info.  I noticed the date on the article was last year, 05/2013.  I wonder, if the updated Outlook settings (new ports, SSL checked, etc) were effective that date and/or if Verizon was keeping the old settings valid until about 3 days ago.

I wish Verizon would notify the customer base when they change settings with Outlook, etc.  It would help eliminate any confusion when a customer experiences intermittents such as the one that began about 3 days ago with some of us.

Perhaps they did notify customers but I haven't received any related incoming Verzion message that may have been routed to my 'net site spam folder.

0 Likes
Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

Update:  I just received another intermittent dialog box so I guess the problem's still there.  I haven't rebooted my PC yet but I wouldn't think that would be required when an Outlook Acct setting change has been made as I've changed the settings the last time Verizon notified me about a port change (about 2-3 years ago) and a PC restart wasn't necessary at that time.

I think I'll restart my (Win 7x64) PC just to eliminate that possibility.

This is why tarheeljoe's information is valuable to me as I know something's changed recently on Verizon's side of things about 3 days ago.

I'll re-check my Outlook acct settings again.

[edit]  When I rechecked my Acct settings, they had reverted back to the old setttings.  I'm not sure what happend earlier but I may not have clicked the "Finish" button after changing the settings. 

So I reset my "test clock" starting now Smiley Happy

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Scoop:

Don't know the exact date when these new settings HAD TO BE IN PLACE but VZ has been ALLOWING them since the date in my memo and maybe even sometime before that..

PLEASE POST WHEN YOU ARE UP AND RUNNING AGAIN.

73'S FOR NOW.

Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

Tom,

Thanks for the info.  So far, so good with my Outlook issue.  I'd like to give it more time before I say "all clear" with this one since the symptom had been infrequently intermittent but I think the updated settings fixed this problem.

One thing I've noticed is that the Send/Receive polling action to the Verizon server inbox is very fast now, a lot faster than with my old settings.

0 Likes