Outlook2010 Search finds non-visible email headers?
peppergrinder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear fellow Turkey-weekenders, I'm trying to help someone configure their new Outlook 2010 email client to work with their existing Verizon POP3 email account.  I believe we've jumped through most of the hoops correctly but have a minor mystery!

After following the Verizon web instructions to set up the Outlook 2010 client we have sent several test email from a completely different machine and email system.  Its apparent that our test emails are being received by the new Outlook 2010 client because outlook displays notifications of them in the lower right of the screen as they come in and we can Search all folders, find them and read them.  However, when click on the Inbox or any other visible folder of the new account within the email client there are no emails visible.  There are simply no headers whatsoever - no sender or subject or any other info.

Another interesting symptom is that the Inbox will correctly display the *number* of incoming messages we've sent or the *number* of unread messages in the Inbox (depending on a setting we found for that) but there are no actual headers visible in the Inbox.  During the client account creation we did request the the pop3 server retain a copy of the emails (for 5 days as recommended in the instructions.)

If it matters, this in a new setup of Outlook 2010 and this is the only instance of any email client set up on this computer.  The account was previously feeding an Outlook Express client on an old computer but that computer is in a different location and has not been turned on all weekend during the setup and testing of our new email client.

Is there a server or client setting that needs to be turned on?  Is there an Outlook 2010 folder that is invisible?  We've tried to look at the properties of the emails when Outlook 2010 Search finds them but there are no indications of what folder they might be in other than the Inbox, where they are certainly not visible.

peppergrinder 🙂

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Outlook2010 Search finds non-visible email headers?
peppergrinder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved! (I think :))

Sometimes the only option left for a problem is to "Sleep on it!"  Leaving our problem overnight may have helped us solve it.

I believe our problem was in overlooking a detail of the new Outlook 2010 Email Client interface.  By default, Outlook 2010 "groups" all incoming headers by Date (such as "Date: Today", "Date: Yesterday", "Date: [previous weekdays]", "Date: Last Week") and does not necessarily "Expand" the "Date: Today" group by default.  This has the unfortunate effect that a new user looking at their brand new Inbox display will see a line that says "Date: Today" with nothing visible under it.  What is not easily realized is that there is a tiny triangular arrow to the left of the "Date: Today" group heading and it is by default set to the "collapsed" state for "Today."

The "Collapse/Expand" arrows in the new Outlook 2010 interface appear as follows: Hollow white triangle pointing directly to the right indicates a collapse "group."  Solid black triangle pointing slightly down to the right indicates an expanded "group."  The "groups" such as "Date: Today" and "Date: Yesterday" can be expanded or collapsed independently of each other and by default the Outlook client starts out with Today collapsed and Yesterday and groupings beyond "expanded," I believe.

This grouping feature is nice once you get used to it and all kinds of grouping can be turned on or off but I think for all of you supporting Outlook new users, this expand/collapse feature of the email interface will be something to check on when people report that they aren't receiving email or can't see their email!

peppergrinder

View solution in original post

0 Likes
peppergrinder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved! (I think :))

Sometimes the only option left for a problem is to "Sleep on it!"  Leaving our problem overnight may have helped us solve it.

I believe our problem was in overlooking a detail of the new Outlook 2010 Email Client interface.  By default, Outlook 2010 "groups" all incoming headers by Date (such as "Date: Today", "Date: Yesterday", "Date: [previous weekdays]", "Date: Last Week") and does not necessarily "Expand" the "Date: Today" group by default.  This has the unfortunate effect that a new user looking at their brand new Inbox display will see a line that says "Date: Today" with nothing visible under it.  What is not easily realized is that there is a tiny triangular arrow to the left of the "Date: Today" group heading and it is by default set to the "collapsed" state for "Today."

The "Collapse/Expand" arrows in the new Outlook 2010 interface appear as follows: Hollow white triangle pointing directly to the right indicates a collapse "group."  Solid black triangle pointing slightly down to the right indicates an expanded "group."  The "groups" such as "Date: Today" and "Date: Yesterday" can be expanded or collapsed independently of each other and by default the Outlook client starts out with Today collapsed and Yesterday and groupings beyond "expanded," I believe.

This grouping feature is nice once you get used to it and all kinds of grouping can be turned on or off but I think for all of you supporting Outlook new users, this expand/collapse feature of the email interface will be something to check on when people report that they aren't receiving email or can't see their email!

peppergrinder

0 Likes
musicseawater
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a quick suggestion; you might want to use your VIEW option too. I'll admit to just quickly scanning your question, but I think I had a similar problem a while back and after pulling hairs for 3-4 days I clicked the VIEW tab, changed what I was viewing and found my answer there.

I hope this helps some. Smiley Wink

0 Likes