POP3 mail authorization errors
Oppie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

As of this morning, my wife's iPad which is on a Sub-account of the main account, was unable to get mail using Apple's mail app. Later in the day, I (as primary account holder) had the same problem with an iPod Touch and Windows10 laptop. All use POP3 mail and authorization is rejected with "Unable to get mail. User name or password..." 
In all cases, mail can be accessed with webmail.verizon.com as a backup. I need POP3 or IMAP access for my work.
Is anybody else seeing this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: POP3 mail authorization errors
Oppie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got the POP mail fixed today. It turned out to be an individual problem rather than a server side problem. From home, the POP mail would not authorize although we could log into webmail and My Verizon.
Got into work today and used my verizon credentials to log in through POP (windows live mail) and it worked fine. Opened a verizon support chat window and eventually got the person to do a DHCP lease termination, reset and then he had me turn off the router for 15 seconds and then back on. All was fine after that.

View solution in original post

Oppie1
Enthusiast - Level 3
After several hours back and forth with FiOS on Facebook, escalated to private messages and finally to a chat session.
Outcome was that Verizon is acknowledging an internal error and Operations will work with users individually to resolve the issue. Chat operator was unable to contact operations as this is a weekend and situation will have to wait till Monday.

#justfixit!
0 Likes
Mail app/Pop3 stopped working on all devices over wifi
Michael331
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

We have multiple iPhones, iPads, and two iMac's in the house - we all have our own e-mail address and use the Apple mail app in order to get our Verizon e-mails.  Just today, we can no longer access our e-mails through the mail app.  We all get the "Cannot Get Mail" The mail service "pop.verizon.net" is not responding message.  Now, nothing has changed in our settings and to make this even more strage, if I, for example, turn off my wifi on my iPhone - the mail comes through like it normall would.  No problem with the settings at all.  Once I turn wifi back on, I get the error message - same goes for the other iPhone in the house.  The iPads are wifi only so we can't turn cellular data for those and our iMacs run off of wifi so our mail is also offline there at this point.  

We called Verizon who stated it wasn't a Verizon problem due to the fact that we were receiving e-mail - it just wasn't going to the app.  We were advised to call Apple who stated that it was a problem with the mail server.  Of course, they both had use reset the router, delete our mail accounts, add them back, reset network settings .... but after a two hours of trying, we were told to see if we could get our e-mail connected to another wifi source - well, we'll have to out tomorrow and try it but for now our mail app no longer works as of today.

Any reasons why this might have happend?  Really a frustrating thing.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Oppie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got the POP mail fixed today. It turned out to be an individual problem rather than a server side problem. From home, the POP mail would not authorize although we could log into webmail and My Verizon.
Got into work today and used my verizon credentials to log in through POP (windows live mail) and it worked fine. Opened a verizon support chat window and eventually got the person to do a DHCP lease termination, reset and then he had me turn off the router for 15 seconds and then back on. All was fine after that.

Michael331
Enthusiast - Level 1

My problem just magically cleared up overnight....wasted about 3 hours troubleshooting....next time I'll give it a day or two.  It's just so annoying when things that worked suddenly do not and there's no explanation.  I do have to give Apple credit though for not only going the extra mile, they even called tonight as a follow up.

Oppie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It might be too soon to tell but there was another apparent benefit to fixing our POP issue. Wife was having issues on her iPad (iOS 9.3.5 which was the last update possible on this hardare). Using Apple's mail client that I had configured for her to Verizon specs, deleting mail, then emptying the trash SHOULD delete those messages from the server. It did not - at least, not until today.  Now, emptying the trash properly removes message from the server. This was verified by using webmail on another machine (Win10Pro desktop).

0 Likes
Re: Mail app/Pop3 stopped working on all devices over wifi
Oppie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Were you able to read my solution?
I was on a chat session with Verizon Tech support. The agent "broke the DHCP lease" (Got our router disconnected from their system login), reset the system (reset the ONT if I understood properly) then had me cycle power on the router. Router power has to be off longer than 15 seconds to grab a new IP address from the network. You can try just cycling your router power for a quick test before you go further.  Takes a couple of minutes for the router to come up and when you see the green light on the globe symbol, you should have internet again. Try your email again.

On ours, it was affecting both the wired desktop plugged into the router as well as the wifi connections. All services other than POP mail were working absolutely normally (phone, internet and video - the STB's guide function comes through the router).

Hope this was helpful to you Michael

0 Likes