POP3 vs IMAP for new AOL email account?
GaryinLynn

Hi,

I am transitioning from Verizon email to AOL because I want to keep my Verizon email addresses.  I have one main email account, and two sub-accounts.  I have already established the three accounts at AOL.  What I would like to do is to use Outlook 2007 as an email client.  It currently accesses the Verizon email accounts and I am trying to get it to connect to the AOL email accounts.

When I go to Tools>Account Settings>username@verizon.net, and try to change it, it is set to a POP3 server account type (pop.verizon.net for incoming, smtp.verizon.net for outgoing), and I am unable to change that to IMAP which I believe I am instructed to do to affect this change.  Right now I have three email profile names to access the three accounts, and all my emails are stored locally under those profiles.  If I create new profiles, will I be able to move those emails to the new profiles?  Or is there a way that I can create a POP3 account rather than an IMAP account?

0 Likes
Re: POP3 vs IMAP for new AOL email account?
Bullfrog20251

Hello,

I haven't migrated yet but am getting ready to do it so I can't verify the process in these links work.

You should be able to still use POP3 and the following hyperlink tells you how to update your email program:

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-updating-your-third-party-email-program-or-mo...

If you want to go to IMAP, here's the instructions:

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-setting-up-your-new-aol-account-in-a-third-pa...

Good Luck..

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Guys:

I migrated successfully early March

Use windows 10,Google Chrome,and Office 2013.

I could use Outlook correctly to send and receive emails BEFORE and AFTER migration to AOL.

Chose option to move over using POP3.

All my emails,folders and Contacts were moved properly.

The attachment below describes procedure to make sure that Office 2013 and its programs are up to date.....concept should work for Outlook 2007

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to let all of us know and click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

0 Likes
CaseyG1

I completed the migration of my Verizon email to email several months ago selecting to continue with POP format for my MacBook .  I subsequently re-established my email account on my phone and IPad using IMAP which I like because it synchronizes across the devices for read, deleted, etc.  I have tried everything to either change to IMAP or re-establish my email account using IMAP on my MacBook but to no avail.  There doesn’t appear to be an option to simply change from POP to IMAP.  When I delete the account and try to set it up fresh as an IMAP account I’ve encountered issues using 2 different approaches.  First approach was to select AOL from the menu of options in setting up the email account and entered my Verizon email address.  This approach does not recognize my email and password combination (even though I tested the combination successfully multiple times directly on AOL web based email). Second approach was to just add the Verizon email account as “other type of email” but once I enter my email address and password it automatically starts downloading my email using POP with no option to select IMAP.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes