PROBLEM: Sending/Forwarding e-mail
NetJetFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't send / forward e-mails using either OUTLOOK EXPRESS or MOZ. T-BIRD, but have NO problems receiving. Called verizon tech. help & they confirmed all of my settings are correct. They said my e-mail programs have to be uninstalled / reinstalled. I said: "YOU"RE KIDDING, RIGHT???".  I got NOWHERE!  Any advice is appreciated!!!

Re: PROBLEM: Sending/Forwarding e-mail
Justin46
Legend

@NetJetFlyer wrote:

I can't send / forward e-mails using either OUTLOOK EXPRESS or MOZ. T-BIRD, but have NO problems receiving. Called verizon tech. help & they confirmed all of my settings are correct. They said my e-mail programs have to be uninstalled / reinstalled. I said: "YOU"RE KIDDING, RIGHT???".  I got NOWHERE!  Any advice is appreciated!!!

You most certainly should not need to uninstall and reinstall the programs. I have no idea why they would think that. But you haven't told us enough to give you any advice; for example, what error message do you get from OE when you try to send? Did this just happen suddenly? If so, how many emails do you have hung up in the Outbox? The reason I asked the last question is that sometimes an email in the Outbox just won't send, for whatever reason, and until that is cleared up you cannot send anything, the solution for this problem is to delete the offending email from the Outbox which might require deleting all of them if you cannot identify the culprit.

Tell us more, somebody can probably help.

Keller, TX 76248

NetJetFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

JUSTIN:

The error message is: "The connection to the SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net timed out".

I deleted all e-mails in my outboxes - Didn't work.

In OE my original port settings were:  IN=110 / OUT=587 & I could only receive, not send.

The verizon tech. changed these settings to: IN=995 / OUT=465. Now I can't receive or send anything.

In T-BIRD my settings are:  IN=110 / OUT=587 - I can receive but not send/forward.

I know its not the e-mail programs but the server. The tech told me that I could subscribe to VERIZON"S premium tech. support for more help.

Justin46
Legend

@NetJetFlyer wrote:

JUSTIN:

The error message is: "The connection to the SMTP server outgoing.verizon.net timed out".

I deleted all e-mails in my outboxes - Didn't work.

In OE my original port settings were:  IN=110 / OUT=587 & I could only receive, not send.

The verizon tech. changed these settings to: IN=995 / OUT=465. Now I can't receive or send anything.

In T-BIRD my settings are:  IN=110 / OUT=587 - I can receive but not send/forward.

I know its not the e-mail programs but the server. The tech told me that I could subscribe to VERIZON"S premium tech. support for more help.

When you (or he/she) changed the port settings to 995 and 465, did you also check both boxes that the server requires a secure (SSL) connection? That is required to use those ports.

I know that Verizon is in the process of adding support for SSL connections. I am using ports 995 and 465 just fine, have been for several months. I previously used 110 and 587 just fine, but maybe Verizon is gradually requiring the use of SSL, I don't know.

There is absolutely no need to subscribe to premium support, we can get this working without spending those $$$$.

Keller, TX 76248

NetJetFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just tried what you suggested (secure SSL connection) with 995/465 & 110/587.

Did NOT work - getting same error message: ..."Timed Out."

Justin46
Legend

OK, lets go at it this way. I am using Windows Live Mail, I cannot use Outlook Express because I am using Windows 7. But WLM is very similar to OE, the settings are almost identical. So here are my settings, with my personal info such as name, email address, password, etc, erased.

My suggestion is to go through your settings and compare them to mine, see what differences there are, because my settings do work for me.

Now, if you can't find it there, are you using a firewall? If so, try temporarily turning it off and see if that has any impact. Or if you are using some kind of security suite, or maybe even just an anti-virus, try temporarily disabling that and see if the email now works.

If none of the above helps, I am kinda lost about what else might be the issue. But there are others here, like somegirl, who are experts, and hopefully will chime in.

Keller, TX 76248

NetJetFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I tried what you suggested, but it did NOT work.

In OE none of the port #'s work (IN 995 or 110 / OUT 587/465). I am unable to RECEIVE or SEND e-mails.

In T-BIRD only 110 works for incoming; 995 does NOT work. As for outgoing, neither 587 nor 465 works.

I'll call Verizon & try again.

I do APPRECIATE your suggestions VERY MUCH. I think patience & perseverance will be the order of the day to solve this.

With GRATITUDE!

CHICAZULMA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Guys, I am having exactly the same issue- started Tuesday night and no issues with outlook/fios email before this.

I get all the settings in, test email and the test email goes to verizon site but won't download (nor does it show in my sent box). The suggested solutions above don't work either, unfortunately.

Outlook 2010 is what I am using and verizon told me the same thing.

I am using web mail for now but not pleased with their service right now.

There's a message on the website stating that they are merging verizon.com and verizon.net so I am wondering if that has to do with it.

I am on the East Coast.

Anyway if anyone finds an answer please let us know!
Thanks

J

Justin46
Legend

@NetJetFlyer wrote:

Well, I tried what you suggested, but it did NOT work.

In OE none of the port #'s work (IN 995 or 110 / OUT 587/465). I am unable to RECEIVE or SEND e-mails.

In T-BIRD only 110 works for incoming; 995 does NOT work. As for outgoing, neither 587 nor 465 works.

I'll call Verizon & try again.

I do APPRECIATE your suggestions VERY MUCH. I think patience & perseverance will be the order of the day to solve this.

With GRATITUDE!

You are welcome, but I don't feel very good about this, we should be able to find a solution.....

I have gone back and checked my definitions over and over, in both Windows Live Mail (Microsoft's follow-on to Outllok Express) and Thunderbird. I can send and receive successfully in both using either 995/465 with the SSL box checked, or 110/587 with the box not checked, so I am at a loss on this.

I really think the issue is somewhere on your end, but obviously I don't know where. I asked earlier about temporarily disabling any firewall and anti-virus or security suite, did you try doing that? That error message really sounds like something is not letting your request get out of your PC (or home network?) to the server rather than something wrong at the server end. Oh, and what DNS are you using? Or do you perhaps have these ports blocked in your router? Maybe something there is blocking these messages.

I did send a PM to one of the regular posters here to take a look at this to see if she can help, so far she has not looked at my message, hopefully she will do so sometime soon and maybe have some better suggestions.

I just hate it when I can't help on something like this.... Smiley Mad

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
NetJetFlyer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried ALL of your suggestions, especially the disabling of anti-virus / firewall (AVG Internet Security Suite)  twice now & there is NO change - I'm still only receiving in T-BIRD. I called AVG tech op's & asked if they were aware of any issues like mine & said they were NOT. The tech couldn' understand why I would be able to receive but not send, but offered their PREMIUM SERVICE for $89.

As for my DNS:  the DNS server address is obtained automatically - there  is no specific numerical address specified in "LOCAL INTERNET PROPERTIES / INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP) PROPERTIES". I don't remember ever having a "PREFERRED DNS SERVER ADDRESS".

There's no point in hating yourself... I've got a fax machine for backup!!!

The internet connection in this part of FLA.  S*U*C*K*S:  Every other week there is a Verizon tech. across the street at  the control box doing something or other & still the neighbors & me are having phone/internet  connection issues REGARDLESS of how many times they show up in their hardhats.

I DO SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSES / EFFORTS!