Pop Services
joshsadams007

Can someone, preferablly a verizon representative explain what the hell is wrong with the pop services for the past couple months? It's gotten to the point now that I am going to have to move email services.  Between this and not being able to get my ONT box repaired due to the technican telling me "My boss says we can't go out there due to the strike" Verizon is about to lose another 10+ year customer.

The pop services on my verizon.net email seem to be down ALL the time.   I made the change months ago to the new settings, pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net, but it seems like a good 90% of the time, my email still won't work because the pop services are down.

My phone notifiies me when it is unable to reach the server to download emails, it then keeps trying over and over again, draining the battery. That part obviously isn't a verizon problem, but why are these services down so often? It's not a phone problem, as all my other emails work just fine, and my phone can get verizon email when the services are up. During the time that it's down, my Outlook also cannot retrieve emails, forcing me to use webmail.verizon.net to retrieve emails. Not too hard from a PC, but a royal **bleep** from my phone.

It's been this way for a couple months. At first I assumed it was just the AOL move, but it's been going on WAY too long now. What is the problem?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Pop Services
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi joshsadams007,

Was your email account migrated to AOL?

0 Likes
joshsadams007

Not sure. I don't recall receiving any email/notification about being migrated to AOL, and I don't have any AOL services. The only reason I associate the two is because when this first start happening i googled verizon email problems and saw multiple topics regarding a recent AOL acquisition/migration, and assumed it was that. It's been months now and the pop services still go into "Verizon.net is not responding" every single day for significant portions of the day, including right now. It's been down for going on 10 hours today, but worked fine most of yesterday.

My outlook is also not able to retreive emails (from verizon only), but the webmail is working fine. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you have not yet been migrated to AOL.  If you have not already done so, please try the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
joshsadams007

Why would I be migrated to AOL? Does this mean my email address would be @aol.com? If that's the case I might as well find a new email provider. 

The verizon troubleshooter only appears to be for landline, internet, and FIOS TV issues, which have nothing to do with my issue. The verizon residential support page is equally worthless. The pop services came back up for a couple hours as I was able to connect from both my phone over AT&T, and my Outlook on both my home and work computers.  It is now back to not responding. This is clearly an issue with the Verizon POP services pretaining to the migration taking place, and not something on my end, so not sure how some online troubleshooting tool would have ever helped.

Thanks for the support though. It's about exactly what I would expect from Verizon as of late.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@joshsadams007 wrote:

@Why would I be migrated to AOL? Does this mean my email address would be @aol.com? If that's the case I might as well find a new email provider. 

The verizon troubleshooter only appears to be for landline, internet, and FIOS TV issues, which have nothing to do with my issue. The verizon residential support page is equally worthless. The pop services came back up for a couple hours as I was able to connect from both my phone over AT&T, and my Outlook on both my home and work computers.  It is now back to not responding. This is clearly an issue with the Verizon POP services pretaining to the migration taking place, and not something on my end, so not sure how some online troubleshooting tool would have ever helped.

Thanks for the support though. It's about exactly what I would expect from Verizon as of late.

They are migrating EVERYONE to AOL  AOL is now a Verizon Company.  No your ID remains the same.

They first switched the existing servers over to AOL.  That was completed.  But initially they still acted the same

They then switched the users in the three states they were about to sell to Frontier to the AOL user interface.  This was completed before the sale took effect.

They may have started on the remaining customers.  No schedule was published as far as I heard.

0 Likes
joshsadams007

Great. Thank you for your reply @tns2. It would seem likely that the constant downtime is as a result of the migration still, it's just unbeleiveable how bad it is. I'm talking usually between 12-16 hours a day, for 4-5 days a week or more....since November or so.

I've had to scale the sync interval on my phone down as low as it can go (24 hours) or even to manual to avoid the battery getting drained and have all but given up on using Outlook to check emails. Luckily webmail seems to be up most of the time. 

Now if only this strike would end some Verizon can come out and fix my ONT.  Pretty lame to be stuck paying for FIOS Quantum on the triple play package without being able to actually get it. 

0 Likes