Re: I'm steaming - port 25 and outgoing email
Bonnie_G

Yes using "outgoing.verizon.net" instead of a third-party ISP was the trick for me -- and I discovered it myself (I'm so proud Smiley Very Happy, because no techie knew why I couldn't send mail from my domain's e-mail.)

0 Likes
Re: port 25 and outgoing email
VZ_Kevin
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon Online has made changes to our dynamic DSL (High Speed Internet) network to further strengthen the security of our customers’ email messages and our network and to help prevent spam.

We have blocked incoming email from Port 25, which is the default port used by email programs to connect to email servers and to send email, for some time now. We are now taking the additional step of blocking outgoing e-mail messages from Port 25 to help ensure that our network is not used by spammers. Depending on whether you use a web-based email service or an email program such as Microsoft Outlook®, you may need to make changes to your computer settings to ensure that your ability to send email is not interrupted.

If you use a web-based Email service (either Verizon.net or a third party email service, such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.):

• If you use a web-based email service to send your email, you do not need to do anything as our implementation of Port 25 blocking for outgoing email messages will not affect your ability to send or receive web-based email.

If you use a third party Email service such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL and an Email program such as Microsoft Outlook:

• If you use an email service other than Verizon.net (such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.) to send email through a program like Microsoft Outlook, you will need to make the following modification to your computer settings so that your ability to send email will not be affected:
  • Change the port number in the “Advanced” section of your email program from Port 25 to Port 587. Please make sure that you do not change your outgoing mail server. Detailed instructions on how to change the port settings on your computer can be found at www.verizon.net/port25.
  • If you’re using an email provider other than Verizon.net (such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.) to send email through your email program and you are unable to send email after making the change to Port 587, please contact your email provider for additional information on their recommended port settings.
0 Likes
thisisnonsense
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tech support at Verizon is outsourced off-shore. I had the pleasure of finding this out on 11-15-09... AND the help consists of reading off cheat sheets.  According to Verizon "In 2008, Verizon invested $344 million in training, and employees dedicated 11.7 million hours to training." For off shore outsourcing.  Not one of the people I talked to on 11-15 was sounded American, and did sound as if English their not first language, all were heavily eastern accents.

Here's the deal. If you connect to the internet via Verizon, and you run a website where you can receive and send email via the cpanel's horde or squirrel, via a client program such as Eudora or Outlook, VZ has your access to port 25 blocked. You have now been profiled as a spammer in Verizon's eyes. 

I have a website with cpanel email. The last email I was able to send a customer regarding account activity was on 10-12-09. I do have other options available to me to respond to customer service, but not for potential customers asking questions before they join. ALL email processed thru the site is subscription only, except for non-member's investigations. I cannot even email my server host with issues regarding the site. (And no, this is not my only method of communication with him) AND this is Verizon only right now. My server host uses a roadrunner group to access the internet, and he can send and receive emails via the site, or any site he hosts just fine. He has email accounts on several sites that he hosts just to make sure everything is copacetic.  We have argued this for 4 weeks now.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled eudora with reboots inbetween... I try to send an email, time out error 10060. Eudora's trouble shoooting is not up to date on this. With the so called VZ tech's assistance, I changed to port 587 in the eudora options. just a little tick box. Attempted to send an email. Access Denied error 10061.

Port 587 must be opened on the server level, check with your hosting service. And all this is going to do is open port 587 to additional hackers, spammers and trojans and worms. It is a bandaid fix. As soon as all the spammers go to 587... it will start all over again. Unless this port can put a tag on the spam and have the spammer arrested. its not going to stop the spammers, contrary to what VZ wants you to believe.   

All a locked door does is keep the honest people out.

Since I use Eudora to collect and send email from my website server…  This is issued from Eudora...  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2476.txt 

[edited to remove copyrighted text]

Now let me direct your attention to this post at Slashdot…

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/17/1927213
Posted by kdawson on Tue Feb 17, 2009 04:06 PM

{please keep your posts courteous}

I don't have a zombie computer, I don't even use Verizon email, I have never even logged into my Verizon account. But VZ has deemed me a spammer.  But its amazing... I still get spam at hotmail, yahoo, gmail... but the only spam I get on my site, is someone attempting to sell me SEO or some off shore dropshipper wanting to partner with me. But those spammers have to go to my site to send a Contact Us email, which then records their IP, which then gets server banned.  

The spam I have gotten at my site consists of ip addresses that begin with 119.xxx.xxx.xxx; 221.xxx.xxx.xx and others coming from eastern europe, china, malaysia, and other asia pacific countries, middle east, and africa. (hmmm... I'm in the western US and my server is in Houston. And the last time I checked, Houston was still in America... Does that fit the profile of a spammer?)

And where is the outsourced customer service being sent?

And as soon as the new internet service is connected, its bye bye VZ ISP.

Please google Port 587 for more info on how this can affect the internet use. That is where I got the links I posted here.

[edit] this is part of a registered letter being sent to the CEO of Verizon.  

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well.....I can see what kind of response you are going to get.

Per the terms of service that you signed when subscribing to Verizon internet service, residential accts are forbidden to run or operate web servers and email servers. Residential accts are limited to personal internet use and since ports 25 and 80 are only used (supposidly) for business operations, they are hearby blocked on residential accts. Even if you manage to get around the port blockage issues, Verizon will then limit the number of emails being able to be sent out via a residental line. 100 emails per hour and 500 per day. Any more than this is considered spamming and will result in the suspention of your email services via Verizon. If you need the ability to host an Email or Web server, you are required to have a business acct.

So your complaint and the admission of the fact that you are running a server from your home on that registered letter, will likely result in your service being disconnected or suspended for violation of the terms of service that you signed. And you will likely be forced to upgrade to a business acct

Verizon farms out the tech support for dsl and dial up tech support. has for years. Most of it is handled in India but a lot in the phillipeans as well.  Only the FIOS tech support is US based.

The spam I have gotten at my site consists of ip addresses that begin with 119.xxx.xxx.xxx; 221.xxx.xxx.xx and others coming from eastern europe, china, malaysia, and other asia pacific countries, middle east, and africa. (hmmm... I'm in the western US and my server is in Houston. And the last time I checked, Houston was still in America... Does that fit the profile of a spammer?)

While most spam does come from offshore, there is a HUGE number of spammers that are based in the US. So location has nothing to do with spam. A spammer profile is any system that sends out a large number of emails. There are several huge blocks of IP address ranges from the US that are on the major blacklist systems for spamming.

thisisnonsense
Enthusiast - Level 2

[edit]

Where exactly did I say I was running a server from my home?  I lease server space from a hosting company. My home computer is not a server... Please make sure you have read things accurately.  There is a big difference in running a server and running a website. 

Obviously you didn't read the post all the way thru... 

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@thisisnonsense wrote:

Here's the deal. If you connect to the internet via Verizon, and you run a website where you can receive and send email via the cpanel's horde or squirrel, via a client program such as Eudora or Outlook, VZ has your access to port 25 blocked. You have now been profiled as a spammer in Verizon's eyes.

First of all, Verizon is not saying you are a spammer. The port 25 block is to help prevent spammers on the Verizon network. No one said anything about you specifically. It applies to ANYONE sending mail using a 3rd party account via a mail client.

@thisisnonsense wrote:

Port 587 must be opened on the server level, check with your hosting service. And all this is going to do is open port 587 to additional hackers, spammers and trojans and worms. It is a bandaid fix. As soon as all the spammers go to 587... it will start all over again. Unless this port can put a tag on the spam and have the spammer arrested. its not going to stop the spammers, contrary to what VZ wants you to believe.   

All a locked door does is keep the honest people out.

Yes, the email provider has to enable SMTP access via port 587 in order to use 587. The difference between port 587 and port 25 is that 587 requires authentication. Again, the idea is to cut down on spammers in Verizon's network. However, Verizon is only blocking port 25, so if your provider has a different alternate port, you can use that. (For instance, Gmail uses 465.)

The "locked door" in this case does what all locked doors do: Make it more difficult for those with less than honorable intentions to get what they're after. Believe it or not, *most* spammers (and thieves, unless they are after something specific) are more likely to move onto an easier target (network) if they encounter trouble.

@thisisnonsense wrote:

But its amazing... I still get spam at hotmail, yahoo, gmail... but the only spam I get on my site, is someone attempting to sell me SEO or some off shore dropshipper wanting to partner with me. But those spammers have to go to my site to send a Contact Us email, which then records their IP, which then gets server banned.

This type of block is exactly what Verizon is trying to avoid. Because Verizon assigns dynamic IP addresses, an action by one spammer can cause an IP address to be blocked, which is then re-assigned to a new customer. The new customer has done nothing wrong, but is blocked because they were assigned a spammer's previous address by the system. Blocks against Verizon are what this system was implemented to help avoid.

@thisisnonsense wrote:

We have argued this for 4 weeks now.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled eudora with reboots inbetween... I try to send an email, time out error 10060. Eudora's trouble shoooting is not up to date on this. With the so called VZ tech's assistance, I changed to port 587 in the eudora options. just a little tick box. Attempted to send an email. Access Denied error 10061. 

You have several options to resolve your sending issue:

1. Convince the owners of your email server to allow an alternate port. (Or use the one they have, if they already have one.)

2. Upgrade to a business-level account and get a static IP address from Verizon. The port 25 block is not implemented on accounts with static IPs, because the IP address is not reassigned.

3. Use the web-based email for your service instead of Eudora.

4. Configure your client to use Verizon's outgoing server for the 3rd party account. If you don't understand how to set this up, let me know and I'll try to walk you through it.

If you need more information, you can always visit http://www.verizon.net/port25

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@thisisnonsense wrote:

[edit]

Where exactly did I say I was running a server from my home?  I lease server space from a hosting company. My home computer is not a server... Please make sure you have read things accurately.  There is a big difference in running a server and running a website. 

Obviously you didn't read the post all the way thru... 

Where I got the information was the second paragraph in your post

Quote..

Now you may not have ment that you host it at home, but that is the way it sounds.

Now if you are hosting a website elsewhere, via a hosting company, then your email will be sent from your server on THEIR systems, not yours and the issue is moot. The only reason an email would go across the verizon system, is if the email was originating from your computer. If it is orginating from your computer, your computer is then the server. In the eyes of the terms of service that is. If the email is coming from a server at a hosting site, then the port 25 block will not apply to you as the email is going across the hosting sites network, not yours.

0 Likes
Re: Port 25 HSI Emailing Issues
sprcop

I am currently using Outlook Express 6 and neither 25 or 587 work. Now what? Roadrunner?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@sprcop wrote:

I am currently using Outlook Express 6 and neither 25 or 587 work. Now what? Roadrunner?

What settings are you using? What email provider are you trying to configure? What error are you getting? Is the incoming server working correctly?

0 Likes
sprcop

The incoming mail server works. I am trying to connect to a college system. I have already cecked with them and all they could say is that they would look into it. I have tried 587 and that doesn't work. I switched back to the default (Outlook Express 6) which is 25 and that doesn't work. Here's the error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Sherri', Server: 'smtp.oneonta.edu', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

0 Likes