Re: Port 25 change for SMTP Sendmail only?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct, as long that MS Exchange server does not use port 25 as listening port.

0 Likes
Re: I too am confused about the Port 25 switch
jhy0001
Enthusiast - Level 1

The instructions do not work for me. First, they don't tell you that you have to use outgoing.verizon.net as the outbound smtp server. Those of us using email clients and not using our verizon.net address DID NOT use that host. So the instructions are incomplete.

But, even after using that host, setting port 587, and my user name at Verizon, which I must assume is the name I just registered as (but am not 100% sure), I get prompted for my password for outgoing.verizon.net about 4 times before it simply fails.

Does someone have the COMPLETE instructions for success???

I'm steaming - port 25 and outgoing email
SagCynthia

I have used Verizon residential DSL service for years.  Until the last year, I've been fairly satisfied with their tech support, though it could be better.

Well, I don't know where I was supposed to get notified about not using port 25 any longer.  All I knew was my outgoing email stopped working. 

I use a third party email and mail servers and have for years.  The email I have always used is assocciated with my domain name, which is hosted at the same place that has the mail servers I've been using.  I checked with that ISP and he assured me he was not blocking port 25.  Not knowing about the changes, I called Verizon tech support - numerous times.  They insisted they were not blocking the 3rd party mail servers on port 25.  After many frustrating calls, I finally found on the Verizon site about needing to change to port 587.  Duhhh.  Way to go tech support.

To my unhappiness, they only support Outlook Express, which I don't like.  I use Thunderbird mail.  So, I called up to get support on setting up Outlook Express with the correct settings since it seemed I had no choice.  In the end, I was forced to use an @verizon.net email address for BOTH incoming and outgoing email.  Not only that, the reply-to address could not be set to the email address associated with my domain name.  As far as tech support has told me, there is no longer a way to use 3rd party email addresses.  Steaming more by the minute!

I'm outraged over this and want to change my DSL provider as soon as possible.  [edit] 

I've had it with Verizon.  Not only that, none of the techs were in the US, all had accents, meaning I had to ask what they were saying over and over again.

0 Likes
Re: I'm steaming - port 25 and outgoing email
bki1017

I am writing with the utmost frustration with Verizon.    My husband, a 25 year IT veteran has now spent 6 hours on the phone with Verizon technical staff to attempt a remedy to this problem....but to no avail.   My company uses a third party mail server, and port 25 is my only option.  

Thus far, we have been disconnected three times, spent lengthy hours on the phone with technical experts who speak little or broken English, given 20 or 30 different reasons why this process does not work.  Then, they informed us we will have to 'pay for technical support' because this is past their level of expertise.   Well, the problem is one Verizon created, so it's really simple - JUST FIX IT!!

{please keep your posts courteous}- none of which will admit to the blocking of port 25 until my husband brings it up.     My number one priority is to seek out another internet provider ASAP.    This is the most appalling customer service fiasco I have ever experienced. 

0 Likes
SagCynthia

I'm sure there are millions of people who use email addresses that are associated with their domain name.  So, Verizon is basically making a decision to no longer serve those people.  Does not sound like a wise management decision to me.  I understand your frustration.  Wish there was a way to communicate our findings with each other.  They edited out my question as to whether someone knows an ISP who allows 3rd party email.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@SagCynthia wrote:

@To my unhappiness, they only support Outlook Express, which I don't like.  I use Thunderbird mail.  So, I called up to get support on setting up Outlook Express with the correct settings since it seemed I had no choice.  In the end, I was forced to use an @verizon.net email address for BOTH incoming and outgoing email.  Not only that, the reply-to address could not be set to the email address associated with my domain name.  As far as tech support has told me, there is no longer a way to use 3rd party email addresses.  Steaming more by the minute!

Have you visited http://www.verizon.net/port25 yet? There are links on that page for how to configure clients for the change, including Thunderbird. The direct link to the Thunderbird configuration page is here. Where it says to use your Verizon information, you should be putting in your 3rd party authentication information if you are using their outgoing server.

When you say that the reply to address could not be set to your 3rd party address, why is that? Was it causing an error?  Did the agent just not know how to configure it?

It is possible that you need to be using a port other than 587, depending on your email provider's setup. (For instance, Gmail users need to use Port 665 and check the box, “This server requires a secure connection (SSL).”) 587 is the default "other" SMTP port and works for the majority of providers. Verizon is only blocking port 25 though, so if your 3rd party provider has another port to use, you might try that.

Hope this helps. If not, feel free to ask questions!

0 Likes
Re: I too am confused about the Port 25 switch
darbeeny1

I am wondering if this Port 25 issue is also stopping me from accessing hotmail via outlook using the outlook connector. ON Sept 1st MS stopped allowing outlook to get email directly from hotmail accounts and you had to install and run a MS program called Outlook Connector. It works VERY rarely from home almost like a specific port is blocked most of the time. In fact i tested my ports (I have VZ DSL) and found that a number of ports were blocked and some number of them changed with each test. That behavior is not unusal (you an see https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) which runs the test and explains the issue.

Anyone seen this problem with Outlook connector?

PS: It happens on 2 different PC's in my house. It works from my office on my portable. I also put my PC in the DMZ and turned off all virus & firewall programs to test this all.

0 Likes
SagCynthia

@somegirl wrote:

Have you visited http://www.verizon.net/port25 yet? There are links on that page for how to configure clients for the change, including Thunderbird. The direct link to the Thunderbird configuration page is here. Where it says to use your Verizon information, you should be putting in your 3rd party authentication information if you are using their outgoing server.

When you say that the reply to address could not be set to your 3rd party address, why is that? Was it causing an error?  Did the agent just not know how to configure it?

It is possible that you need to be using a port other than 587, depending on your email provider's setup. (For instance, Gmail users need to use Port 665 and check the box, “This server requires a secure connection (SSL).”) 587 is the default "other" SMTP port and works for the majority of providers. Verizon is only blocking port 25 though, so if your 3rd party provider has another port to use, you might try that.

Hope this helps. If not, feel free to ask questions!

I have visited the links you provided and in no way would Verizon allow the use of third party email address or mail server, even on 587.  The emails would always fail if using 3rd party mail servers.  Re the reply-to, this was reported back to me from my assistant who got help on the phone from Verizon to set up her email client.  The ISP for the 3rd party mail servers has no port requirements.  I've already talked to him about that.

What's outrageous is that Verizon techs swore up and down that Verizon was not blocking port 25.  If we can turn to them for REAL help, that's a pretty sorry state.  Even if they referred one to online information - but they seemed to not even know about the change and it's significance - or care.  Just got the canned "I apologize, but Verizon does not support...."

0 Likes
Rumpty2009

I have used Eudora for years for several 3rd party accounts. They have been set to Port 587 for about a year with no problems. All accounts stopped sending today Sept 29, 2009. I cannot get Eudora to work at all.

I use Thunderbird for my verizon email and have been able set it up for one of my 3rd party accounts. The out going info is set with my Verizon account, but the return address is showing the correct 3rd party account information. So I can use my other accounts with Thunderbird.

I would like to stay with Eudora, any suggestions folks?

0 Likes
SagCynthia

I have checked out those links.  The isp whose mail servers I'm using has no special port requirements and is not blocking anything.

The reply to problem happened for my assistant and I'm out of town right now, so I can't answer that one.  All i know is Verizon's tech stepped her through these settings.

0 Likes