Port 25 HSI Emailing Issues
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

This is a collection of threads regarding the Port 25 emailing issue.

0 Likes
Question about changing port 25 to 587 yes or no
tnj2000

Hello,

I am having a little trouble understanding who needs to change ports for outgoing mail.

I only have one email address which is verizon.net and I use windows mail on vista to send and receive my emails.

Do I need to change my ports?  I am having trouble getting a straight answer and all I really need to know is yes or no.

Please if anyone can help I would really appriciate it.

Thanks

T

0 Likes
Re: Question about changing port 25 to 587 yes or no
tnj2000

Please can someone answer question.  I really do not know what I need to do.

Anyone..Please

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Yes you do, if your ISP is Verizon.
0 Likes
Dkirk

Accoring to information previously posted to one of the Verizon "0" hierarchy NNTP newsgroups, the switch to Port 587 is only effecting certain states at this time, and only under certain circumstances.

If you have not received any notification to switch top Port 587, you should be able to continue on Port 25 without any problems.

One thing that may effect some people is mail relaying.  This would be when you use Verizon's mail servers but are connecting (relaying) to another company's mail system.  This is a trick often used by spammers so they are plugging that hole.

If you have a mail system that is not based at Verizon, such as your own mail and web hosting service, yopu will not be effected.

I am in the Verizon East territory in New England and we ar estill using Port 25 and have not been told to do otherwise, so until I am told, I won't be changing anything.

In any event, my Verizon address is not used at all so I am not effected in any way.

*** Note that the Verizon "0" newsgroups are being closed along with all of Usenet access on Sept 30.  Many of the former users may show up here or in the Verizon Forum at DSL Reports.

0 Likes
Zzzingy
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is confusing - I still dont know the answer. I have Verizon as my ISP but dont use the email address. According to the note I received, I should change the port on all my emails in outlook if they ARE NOT my verizon email. After changing the ports on those, my email was no longer sent so I put it back to 25 and everything worked fine.

For a communications company....verizon sure lacks good communication...no matter what problem or question you have for them.

0 Likes
ChemicalX
Enthusiast - Level 1

You should be fine as it does not appear that Port 25 is being blocked for those using Verizon e-mail.  For more details see http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/General+Support/Top+Questions/QuestionsOne/124274...

0 Likes
jma563

my moms email just stopped sending and I am thinking this might be the cause. She uses the incoming and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net servers. I don't understand why she is using yahoo (since she uses nothing else for yahoo). Just wondering if I should change her ports according to this document.

thanks,

Jeff

0 Likes
-Candy-
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Verizon email address but I never use it.  I only use my MSN and Gmail addresses.  And I manage my email addresses with Windows Live Mail.  Will I be effected by this Port 25 thing?

0 Likes
tnj2000

As you can see information is very conflicting.....I had thought that because my ISP is verizon and I do use the verizon.net email address that I would not have to change anything.  I do use Windows Mail/ Outlook to send and receive email using my verizon.net email address.

I still don't know the correct answer and am worried about problems that might come up if I don't figure it out.

T

0 Likes