Problem sending emails
jodaor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using a laptop that I use at work and at home.  At work, I can send and receive emails without any trouble, but when I get home I cannot send (receiving is fine).  I have tried the various ports as explained in other posts, but still no luck.  I am using port 25 to send and 110 to receive on my own email that is hosted by Network Solutions.

Are there any other outgoing ports that might work?

Cheers!

Re: Problem sending emails
NetEng
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're having the same problem I am as a result of VZ deciding to police our traffic.  This policing policy is horrible and I've just been given my first reason to leave VZ and go back to Comcast.  In the meantime you might want to look here for some help:

http://www.verizon.com/port25

I believe NetSol will support Secure SMTP (port 587)

tgindrup
Enthusiast - Level 1

LOL... clicking on your link gives:

We're sorry....
verizon.com is temporarily unavailable due to scheduled system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for your continued support and patience while we work hard to improve your Verizon online experience.

So if they can't keep their own systems up, how can we rely on them to keep their outbound SMTP services up?  Come on Verizon, stop blocking our emails!

PeteLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem, but it happened abruptly yesterday. Prior to yesterday, I could send just fine...

NetEng
Enthusiast - Level 2

@tgindrup wrote:

LOL... clicking on your link gives:

We're sorry....
verizon.com is temporarily unavailable due to scheduled system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for your continued support and patience while we work hard to improve your Verizon online experience.

So if they can't keep their own systems up, how can we rely on them to keep their outbound SMTP services up?  Come on Verizon, stop blocking our emails!

Heavens forbid that people actually hit a helpful VZ page.  That page still redirects to a sorry page.

0 Likes
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

Contrary to some people's opinion's, what Verizon has done to cut down on Malware and Bot generated spam by blocking port 25 is actually consistent with the actions of many of the major ISP's and a prudent approach to dealing with this issue as well as freeing up bandwidth by shedding bogus traffic.   Most informed service providers are well aware of this initiative by ISP's and have long ago provided "alternate SMTP" port configurations as well as require "authenticated SMTP" in order to relay.

For Network Solutions based Email services, I think you'll find that if you change port 25 to be port 2525 instead that it will work.

-- ravioli (aka "lasagna" who is presently having an "out of userid" experience thanks to a Verizon "upgrade")

PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the following solution worked for me. I used port 587 without SSL required but with authentication required (in a separate dialog). I was using Anonymizer as an alias, I think in the form of a VPN,

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Email/Setup+And+Use/QuestionsOne/124306.htm

0 Likes