Re: Receiving Multiple Copies of Emails (POP3)
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@Kayver wrote:

The messages aren't actually duplicates, they're just being downloaded multiple times.

For now, I'm deleting the messages via webmail after downloading them to Thunderbird, but that's going to get old fast.

I agree -- the same message is being downloaded multiple times.  The "delete" requested by the client (OE or Thunderbird) is not getting executed correctly for some reason.  This happens occasionally, and for a varying number of times.  When new email(s) come in, I can immediately hit "Send/Recv" and watch the same messages get downloaded again.  I can them immediately hit "Send/Recv" again, and the same batch will come down again.  Eventually I get "No new messages" from OE.  This signifies that the "delete" has finally worked.  I can do this once, twice, three, or even four times.  The most I've had to do it is 4.  Eventually the "delete" works.  Somtimes when I hit "Send/Recv" the first time I get "No new messages".  That means the batch was successfully deleted after the first download -- i.e., the way it's supposed to work.

It looks to me like the client deletes messages by "batch", that is, in a block rather than individually.  I've always seen a whole block of emails get downloaded multiple times.  Never a subset of the batch.  It's either all of them getting downloaded again or "No new messages".  That doesn't prove that the delete is done by "batch" (individual "deletes" could all be failing for exactly the same number of times -- improbable, but possible).  My guess at this time is that they are done as a "batch".

I will also add that this just started for me a couple weeks ago.  I have been using OE for 8 years with this account with no problems.  I initially ignored it because I thought it would be fixed soon.  That has not happened, so I am pursuing a solution on my own.

Using Lawrence C's contact info, I plan to follow up with Verizon during business hours this week.  It looks to me like this is their problem -- especially in light of Kayver's comments.  I will post whatever I find out.

0 Likes
Kayver

BigbirdPhila wrote

Using Lawrence C's contact info, I plan to follow up with Verizon during business hours this week.  It looks to me like this is their problem -- especially in light of Kayver's comments.  I will post whatever I find out.

My email suddenly started working normally again, without me doing anything more. Fingers crossed that it continues, but I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

I wish I could offer a solution, but the problem struck seemingly at random and ended the same way.

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@Kayver wrote:

My email suddenly started working normally again, without me doing anything more. Fingers crossed that it continues, but I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

I wish I could offer a solution, but the problem struck seemingly at random and ended the same way.

Get some run time on it to be sure.  I've seen it go away for a while, too.  But, it has always returned within a day or so.  This morning, the first batch got downloaded 4 times before they disappeared.  4 hours later, one email downloaded 3 times.  In the last 8 hours, two emails both "worked" (downloaded only once) in two separate retrievals.  So, for 8 hours, mine has worked, too.  I'd like to see 100 emails in a row work correctly before declaring the problem probably fixed.

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@Kayver wrote:

It appears that Verizon has fixed the problem.  It went away for me, too, about a day after Kayver said it disappeared for her.  I waited until I received another 100 emails before posting this to make sure it was "really gone".

Either Verizon found it on its own or someone reported it to them and they took corrective action.  It surprised me that it took so long (3+ weeks) to see this problem fixed.  It also surprised me that more people weren't complaining about it on this board.  

Anyway I'm glad I'm no longer receiving duplicate messages.  Thanks to all those who replied.

0 Likes