SMTP Relay 2018
AlexAlexAlex1
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, the last smtp relay post was in 2014. The solution was to use your verizon.net email address. That service was closed last year. I'm trying to host email from my own domain on a MacOS server. I don't want to pay for any smtp service, because that's the reason I'm hosting my server and not paying for a hosting service. What do I do?

Also, MacOS server does not support SSL as far as I know. I am only going to use the verizon server for relaying. Also, I think that if verizon is going to require us to use THIER relay, they should at least provide their costumers with the info needed to use it. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SMTP Relay 2018
jonjones1
Legend

@AlexAlexAlexwrote:

the whole reason i am trying to host my own mail server is that i don't want to keep paying for mail hosting, and i  can have (what seems like) unlimited email storage on my own domain. right now i am using smtp2go but i  send more than 25 emails an hour and cant wait out the violation time. i know that i could pay for more emails but that defeats the purpose. if there is no longer a verizon server, i  may just end up using either smtp2go or my verizon.net account on aol. If I end up using aol,  does aol have any type of message quota? I don't want to run into the same issue I had with smtp2go.

AOL like Yahoo have email sending limits. This is done for the same reasons Verizon does not allow smtp relaying unless on a business account.

verizon is on many RBL blocks. https://www.spamhaus.org

They are actively combating there spam and spammer issues. Eventually these email relaying sites will get blocked all over the net, or taken down and closed up. 

I would google the terms of service on AOL or any email provider. Gmail, outlook, Juno all do not allow certain numbers of sends. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It is quite possible that Verizon no longer allows relaying. 

With the email abuses of sending spam, and Verizon being on the block lists it is my assumption Verizon is cleaning up their act.

relaying through your own account has accountability and track ability but Verizon may only allow business class customers to do it.

you are aware that Verizon has both a Yahoo Mail and AOL mail service and your settings may need to be configured to one of them. 

But I am taking a guess.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note verizon.net services was not exactly closed.  It was moved to a subsidary.

its my understanding that Smtp relay is only officially supported for business customers who pay for it.  Perhaps there are others.  But the problem with supporting SMTP relay is it has been widely used by spammers.  Verizon and its subsidaries are trying to get rid of the impression that some others had of them of being one of the big sources of Spam email.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2wrote:

Note verizon.net services was not exactly closed.  It was moved to a subsidary.

its my understanding that Smtp relay is only officially supported for business customers who pay for it.  Perhaps there are others.  But the problem with supporting SMTP relay is it has been widely used by spammers.  Verizon and its subsidaries are trying to get rid of the impression that some others had of them of being one of the big sources of Spam email.

That is correct. Steve Lindfords organization still has thousands of Verizon’s addresses on the RBL because of people using Verizon to send spam. But they are trying to clean up their act.

0 Likes
AlexAlexAlex1
Enthusiast - Level 1

the whole reason i am trying to host my own mail server is that i don't want to keep paying for mail hosting, and i  can have (what seems like) unlimited email storage on my own domain. right now i am using smtp2go but i  send more than 25 emails an hour and cant wait out the violation time. i know that i could pay for more emails but that defeats the purpose. if there is no longer a verizon server, i  may just end up using either smtp2go or my verizon.net account on aol. If I end up using aol,  does aol have any type of message quota? I don't want to run into the same issue I had with smtp2go.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@AlexAlexAlexwrote:

AOL like Yahoo have email sending limits. This is done for the same reasons Verizon does not allow smtp relaying unless on a business account.

verizon is on many RBL blocks. https://www.spamhaus.org

They are actively combating there spam and spammer issues. Eventually these email relaying sites will get blocked all over the net, or taken down and closed up. 

I would google the terms of service on AOL or any email provider. Gmail, outlook, Juno all do not allow certain numbers of sends. 

0 Likes
AlexAlexAlex1
Enthusiast - Level 1

ok thanks

so i need a buisness account to foward. or use one of those free, limited hosts. man, verizon sucks.

0 Likes