SMTP down?
sharpstick

Sometime since last night, A problem with the SMTP server must have happened. I can't send email. I get a password error.  Same with my wife's account. I have rebooted, tried three different Windows computers using Thunderbird and went to the verizon webmail page.

I am properly logged in, can receive email, but cannot send. Webmail says "cann not send mail for unknown reason"

I contacted verizon on a chat window but the agent was unable to help. Does anyone know if there is a known SMTP issue, or if there is a network status webpage?

0 Likes
Re: SMTP down?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

No problem sending email from here on Long Island.

Do you have the SMTP port set to 465 in Thunderbird? 

0 Likes
sharpstick

Yes, I do. I also changed my server name to outgoing, as the website says.  I did talk to a customer service person later and was told that yes, there is an outage.  It would be nice if they had a network status page, like some services do.

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

It sure is! And that's exactly the same thing I told my Verizon support rep (who didn't even know about the outage at 10AM EST this morning, btw) - why is there no outage status page? And it's now 2:30PM EST. How long does it take them to fix an SMTP server outage, for gosh sakes?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Not sure what you mean by changing your server name to outgoing.  I have my outgoing mail (SMTP) server set to smtp.verizon.net   That setting is confirmed here:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/8...

But if Verizon has acknowledge an outgate, let's hope it doesn't take long for them to correct the problem.

Good luck.

0 Likes
SMTP Server Very Slow (Thunderbird)
WaltN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Today, 1/13/16, sending mail is painfully slow.  I am using Thunderbird as my mail client.  It was OK yesterday.  I tried this on two different computers running two different versions of Tbird.  Both have same problem.  Suspect a Verizon issue as I can't find anything else that changed.  I'm in Southern PA.  Anyone else seeing this?

Re: SMTP Server Very Slow (Thunderbird)
BoardSailor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been having the same problem since the afternoon of 12 January PST, thats more than 24 hours ago.  I'm in Los Angeles with Verizon DSL.  Verizon web mail works just fine over the Internet, but Thunderbird takes at least 30 seconds or more to send the simplist message.  Download / Upload speeds are normal for Internet connections.

To the best of my knowledge, my Thunderbird configuration has not been changed though an automatic update for at least a week. so I don;t think it is a Thunderbird issue. I've used Thunderbird as mail client on Verizon DSL  for several years without problems until now.   Could it be related to the Verizon AOL switch-over?

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

And now, more than 24 hours later, Verizon still can't manage to quickly correct an SMTP server issue. Very sad and in this day and age, very poor support. I called again last night ... after the support rep who answered tried to convince me that the outage was over and wanted to go through debugging steps with me (and I refused) ... and also tried to convince me that if I can use my Verizon webmail, the SMTP server is ok (Webmail doesn't use SMTP) ... she finally admitted that the outage is still in progress and there is no known resolution estimate. Clueless.

This area continues to be a significant weakness of the Verizon offerings. The FIOS TV is great, and normally the internet performance is also great. But in the area of High Availability and outage support, they are simply awful. An SMTP server issue ... whether server or network related ... should not take days to resolve. And to call in to support and have this kind of lack of knowledge and coordination is shameful.

larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

IT's not a Thunderbird issue and don't let them try to tell you it is! There are SMTP server issues.

Traxless
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue in North Fort Worth.  Technical support was not helpful.  Sometimes ... oh nevermind.

0 Likes