Re: SMTP Server Very Slow (Thunderbird)
wdg_pgh

Yeah, and one of their chat gurus wasted an hour of my time yesterday and finally told me I should call Thunderbird support.  According to him, since I could send emails OK on webmail there must not be a problem with the server.  Not only does Verizon not tell us that they have a known problem, they don't even tell their own support people.  Now it's Thursday morning and the problem still isn't fixed.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IT was not everywhere.  Probably some of the servers were down.  Anyone confirm still having problems?

I don't normally monitor my outbox, so it might have been slow, but definitely I was sending email in FL.

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, still having it after close to 30 hours

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correction, it has now finally been fixed.

0 Likes
WaltN
Enthusiast - Level 3

Today, 1/14/16, it's fine again.  I did absolutely nothing.  Gotta love Verizon.

0 Likes
wdg_pgh

Well, I'm still getting failures here in Pittsburgh.

0 Likes
gunrunnerjohn

I'm having the same issue in SE-PA, the Verizon SMTP servers are dead!

EDIT: FWIW, they indeed did try to convince me it was my problem. 🙂

0 Likes
wdg_pgh

OK, I just discovered that my smtp settings in Thunderbird had been changed somehow.  I assume that it happened because of the tech support "chat" session yesterday (the guy checked them and said they were good, but what I just found is not what I saw before).  Now that I have set them back, things seem to be working.  If you are still having trouble, try checking your outgoing server settings in your email client.  Mine is now set for Port 465, Connection security SSL/TLS, and Authentication method "Normal password."

0 Likes
Re: SMTP Server Very Slow NEW
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

I started the week here in Virginia Beach with slow connection via SMTP.  Thursday nite about 6:30 it was no connection via SMTP.  Have had to send anything I want out via Verizon Web Mail, which doesn't support me.  I file lots of messages to lots of people.  Have email client to work (normally) well with Verizon smtp, so something has changed  -  but not by me.

Instead of the Verizon run around, is there any way I can send email via a different server, or otherwise shift?  Seems to me that if I shift to Gmail, etc. that  still have to go through verizon to get there

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: SMTP Server Very Slow NEW
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

You shouldn't have to go through an SMTP server for gmail or webmail ... if you use a web-based interface. An SMTP server is only needed for an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook. Check your SMTP settings https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/8... . Don't know any way to avoid going through support if the settings are ok. Just force them to inquire as to any outages before you expend time with them troubleshooting your own computer.

0 Likes