Re: SMTP Server Very Slow NEW
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for your suggestions.  Was away from the computer this afternoon and when I returned around 4:30 everything was suddenly well  -  PTL.  I would thank Verizon for theijr efforts. but since it was not their problem, I can only assume they did nothing to correct it

0 Likes
Re: SMTP down?
Stenzack1
Enthusiast - Level 1

As of 9:30 am eastern time today, the SMTP server for Central PA is down. This is the second time in less than week this has happened. The previous time I had to wait over an hour before sending was successful. Using a fully updated T'bird in a Win7 environment.

0 Likes
Re: SMTP down? AGAIN!!!!
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Good to see users have resurrected this thread, since Verizon has resurrected the problem.  That makes twice for me this month (mid January the last) and we will again see random lengthy outages nationwide, denials by VZ, and lots of frustrated customers.  Too bad they don't care.

Well, don't forget you can send/recieve by logging in to MyVerizon and use that site which apparently is directly on the server.  That creates many problems for me  -  no one makes money on yesterday's news  (except, perhaps, TIME magazine.

Does anyone know of a way to still get traffic posted by subscribing to  a separate (private) SMTP server?  It works for DNS servers.

0 Likes
YankeeDoodle1
Enthusiast - Level 3

SMTP down on Long Island - runs like the Long Island Rail Road - sproradically

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

As of 1730 the remainder of the problems (multiple addresses) with Verizon SMTP servers has resolved itself here in Virginia Beach as far as I'm concerned.

0 Likes
Asweens
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having problems for 2 days.  Restarted everything, routers, wireless router, computer.  Setup account again. Cleaned my computer.  Finally called Verizon to be told that there is a nationwide problem.  What would have been nice is if they actually told customers there was a problem so they don't waste time and go crazy trying to figure out what is wrong.  This is completely unacceptable.  Now I am told it could take 24-48 hours to resolve the issues.  Seriously??? 

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Problem has returned in Virginia Beach.  One of the things I learned from discussions elsewhere on other forums is that part of the problem is that verizon has shifted (or, is shifting) to the AOL servers.  Don't believe me?  Run a DNS WHOIS search on your SMTP address.  It will return with a long string ending in aol.com.  Same holds true for incoming (POP) accounts. 

It's not a matter of changing your account settings - again.  Verizon bought AOL.  Apparently we are just going to have to wait while Verizon tinkers with their new toy.

starrin

0 Likes
aibek

So even though they say they are only transitioning users from yahoo to AOL in a few states, EVERYBODY is getting hammered by this outage? Which does not appear to be officially acknowledged?

0 Likes
Thistle
Enthusiast - Level 2
Here in MD noticed the switch to AOL SMTP 2/6/2016 due to the certificate change. It worked until today using port 465. SMTP sessions then then started timing out - initially only for email containing MIME attachments (forwarded emails, as multipart/mixed), but not for simple emails or emails with other kinds of attachments. It then degraded to timing-out during authentication for anything with attachments, no matter how small or innocuous. Have long used port 465 for SMTP. Now even simple 1-line text test messages don't make it - they all seem to timeout in the authentication phase in which the SMTP server doesn't respond for well over 20 seconds Also once got a SMTP server down code. Incoming POP3 email is working using port 995. That switched to AOL pop3 servers here 2/10/2016.
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@doubois wrote:

So even though they say they are only transitioning users from yahoo to AOL in a few states, EVERYBODY is getting hammered by this outage? Which does not appear to be officially acknowledged?

Everyone is getting changed to AOL.  Just the final change to the actual AOL interface is in waves.

However all the servers have to switch over first.  After all a Florida user like myself might be in NY.  In fact many Florida residents are Snowbirds from various states and have homes at both locations.  We would be terribly upset if we couldn't access our mail when in a different state.

0 Likes