Re: SMTP port
ilverface
Enthusiast - Level 3

Those answers are so...retail.  I'm not trying to email aunt Betty for a cupcake recipe -

The big issue is that there are MANY of us who carry our laptops around and do some work from home.  It's totally unacceptable for Verizon to charge for a static IP address simply so I can send work emails - and our server only uses port 25.  Like others, I had NO notice of this from Verizon, even though they always find me to let me know my bill is ready.

For work purposes - and I'm not talking about selling junk on eBay, I'm talking abut dealing with proposals worth hundreds of thousands of dollars - your proposed solutions are unprofessional at *best*.

I HAVE a gmail account - for personal use.  It's not acceptable for business.

The support staff at our server is trying to find a workaround, but Verizon's lame system won't cooperate with one login to send IMAP email and another for their port 587 outgoing server.  If THAT worked I could possibly "mask" the Verizon email address - but it doesn't.

May 31 everything worked fine.  Didn't use the laptop at home yesterday...but today I've wasted hours thinking something else was fouled - nope, just Verizon giving us zero warning - no time to figure out how to work around THEIR issues.

It's ridiculous

0 Likes
ilverface
Enthusiast - Level 3

"The only real change here is on the outbound mail server settings you need to tell it to login to your Verizon pop email server first (which is what enables the mail to go outbound from your client on port 587)."

Except it doesn't work in Outlook 2007.

And your solutions don't address those of us in business who need to send through OUR servers from remote locations...like home.  At least it doesn't appear that you are addressing those concerns - but if you were, it's irrelevant if the port Verizon shoves on us DOESN'T WORK!!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@ilverface wrote:

"The only real change here is on the outbound mail server settings you need to tell it to login to your Verizon pop email server first (which is what enables the mail to go outbound from your client on port 587)."

Except it doesn't work in Outlook 2007.

And your solutions don't address those of us in business who need to send through OUR servers from remote locations...like home.  At least it doesn't appear that you are addressing those concerns - but if you were, it's irrelevant if the port Verizon shoves on us DOESN'T WORK!!

1. The fact that you are using Outlook 2007 has nothing to do with it. The settings are the same for any pop3 client.

2. You don't have to use 587. Verizon is only blocking port 25 (as are most major ISPs), so any port other than 25 that your 3rd party will allow should work.

ilverface
Enthusiast - Level 3

{please keep your posts courteous}

My server uses only port 25.  I have NO other options, and using Verizon's outgoing server with my incoming server does not work in Outlook 2007, as previously explained.

It worked fine until yesterday.  There was NO warning from Verizon.  I searched ALL email (I delete NO account-related email, ever). Nothing.

I can send mail from every hot-spot I've ever found  - just not from home.  This is the most ridiculous "fix" Verizon has ever inflicted on us.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Tell your "support staff" to simply setup a NAT to translate port 587 traffic to port 25 on the firewall (behind which your email server must be sitting).  It'll take them about 2 seconds.    Technically port 587 is for authenticated MSA traffic (alternate authenticated SMTP), but blind mapping it over to port 25 via a NAT would also work.

You can also use the Verizon mail relays to send mail with reply-to addresses and from addresses that are NOT verizon accounts as long as you have your client do a POP authentication to your verizon email account first.     In other words ... let Verizon send your email but have it reflect your desire email addresses.  You should only need to do this however if you don't have an enterprise infrastructure which can make a simple firewall change on their end.

As for notices ... mine came on 4/27 and 5/13.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it does work to use the Verizon mail server ...

For the account settings ... on the first panel your "incoming mail server" is your current server.  Your outgoing mail server is the verizon port 587 outbound server.   You userid/password is your current incoming server credentials.   

THEN ... click More Settings

General tab ... set Reply-To to be your desired reply address (just in case, shouldn't be needed really)

Outgoing Server tab ... Check My Outbound Server requires Authentication, then select Logon using ...and specify your Verizon mail credentials.

If that doesn't work, you can alternately define a second mail account in your profile which is your Verizon account (don't make it the default sending account, but include it when checking for mail) and make sure it's first in your list of accounts.   Then change your settings as above.

I just tried it and it works both ways for me.

tadfurtado
Enthusiast - Level 2

@somegirl wrote:

2. You don't have to use 587. Verizon is only blocking port 25 (as are most major ISPs), so any port other than 25 that your 3rd party will allow should work.

Again, somegirl, that assertion falls falt on its face.

Many of our servers - that we pay for and who have not caused this problem - can only accept port 25.  Your solution that we can use anything but port 25 is the same as saying we ought to eat cake for all the good it does.

Please understand, that is not an option.  Or more precisely it isn't because in additon to the change, Verizon has imposed, without option, very serious content filtering on our outbound messages.

I am no spammer.  I do not send messages asking anyone to buy or sell or even take any action from my private email account.  But since yesterday, I have now had 6 messages bounce back as spam out of the maybe 20 I have sent.   In each case, it was a message to one person only and not a whole group.  And in most cases, I was replying to a message sent to me.

This is an absurd system.  Verizon has become AOL.

0 Likes
ilverface
Enthusiast - Level 3

somegirl's responses to the same issue on a now-locked thread (amazing Verizon would lock such an important issue):

"Verizon is *only* blocking port 25 for people using 3rd party email addresses, and *only* if they are using a client, and *only* if they have a dynamic IP address. It is a legitimate attempt to reduce the spam being sent from their network to improve the quality of service for their customers as a whole.

If none of the solutions are satisfactory to you, then maybe you should seek a different provider that meets your needs.

**Edit: This seems like a harsh comment, but it is not intended to be mean. With any service, if your current provider does not meet your needs, then you should switch to one that can. This is the upside of a free market.**"

FREE MARKET?  I recently changed some things on my account and am LOCKED  IN by Verizon for at LEAST a year!.

Your solutions seem thinly-disguised employee responses, honestly.  You come up with things that will work - but only if they are inappropriate (gmail for business use) or cost more money (filling Verizon's pockets.).

I've tried setting up a verizon outgoing server with a "respond to" and my "real" email address - it doesn't work on 587, 465 or anywhere else.  It's either a Verizon issue or Outlook 2007 won't work that way.

As far as the responses re"NAT" and whatever - would you mind translating THAT for humans?  The vast majority of business users are just that - users.  We don't run a server and don't have a clue what you mean.

Regardless, both of the servers I use - one for a work site, one for a personal site - are corporations and not cubbyhole servers.  Both use port 25 and repeated what I've read for 3 days - the port is no more of an issue than the ISP LETS it be, and blocking is a scorched-earth method of problem solving.

I can't wait for this weekend when a couple million business people take their laptops home and all the Verizon users cause a brownout due to calls to support wondering why they can't send email.

(and I don't delete...I back up old email.  I received exactly ZERO warnings).

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so let's review ...

1. This is a peer to peer support forum.   That means we do NOT work for Verizon, are not obligated to help Verizon, are probably just a regular user (albeit a much more courteous one that some I think).

2. We are under no obligation to provide answers ... many of those who do here (unless the happen to sign the bottom of the message with a Verizon tag line) are individuals who happen to have some level of expertise that they're willing to share FOR FREE with others who might not quite understand how to navigate the technical complexities.

3. Some of the people here answering questions are professionals with years of networking, security, messaging, and other internet technology related backgrounds who actually understand what really is happening under the covers (and in the case of this particularly port 25 issue -- support Verizon and MANY MANY MANY other ISP's who have long since taken steps to help reduce the volume of Malware generate SPAM on the internet by blocking port 25 and requiring user's to use an authenticated MSA for mail relay).

4. The solutions as I've read them and suggested here do, in fact, work.   Your comments about not understanding what NAT means -- is a perfect example -- it wasn't explained to you (who obviously doesn't understand networking technologies) because it was meant for you to relay to your provider of mail services -- talk to their network engineer and he'll understand exactly what I said.  

5. You perhaps don't understand the terms used or the technology which makes them work -- and that's fine, ask questions -- but to berate individuals who out of the goodness of their heart are trying to help you is well -- t{please keep your posts courteous}

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

A gentle reminder folks, that while a great deal of latitude is given for people to disagree with each other, the forum guidelines do require that you treat each other with respect. Personal comments are not permitted.

Please keep to the topic at hand.

0 Likes