Re: SMTP port
VerizonSux7

If their SPAM filtering is as awful as most people are saying it is, then it's  not a "good thing" they're doing. And this is yet another case of catering to the hoi polloi and causing professional users grief. -- like the steady dumbing down of Windows since NT 3.51. Verizon is the Microsoft of ISPs.

Oh, and I didn't get the notice because I subscribed after the change, and every VZ tech I've talked to has told me that there is no problem and it must be my settings or OE -- nice, blaming it on MS.

I wouldn't be this furious if I'd been able to get a straight, accurate answer, but I have gotten 'B'+'S (I had to change from what I'd originally put there because it bleeped me -- what a load of 'B'+'S') and runaround from the first time I contacted them.

0 Likes
bowiea

Here is my problem. EVERY SMTP PORT is blocked on my home email account for my domain. It was working fine until about two weeeks ago.

My wife was on her Verizon email and was also doing some searches on Firefox/Google. Apparently clicked a bad link. A day later we were informed about SPAM. My wife does not know anything about SPAM, Viruses, etc. She knows to send email.

So, Verizon abuse blocked our email for a few days. At the same time, my Outlook mail would no longer send. Verizon turned on Verizon email again. HOWEVER, my Outlook mail no longeer will send email for my domain email. Verizon says it is not them, but they never give any indication as to any testing to see if it is true or not.

HOWEVER, I have tried everyhting to troubleshoot the issue. I have tried every known SMTP server, and port setting to get mail to send. IT WILL NOT SEND. Nothing works.

To answer all the what ifs.....

I have run the fix on OUTLOOk, and MS OFFICE. I have unistalled, and reinstalled MS OFFICE. I have tried other email programs like  Live Mail and Thunderbird. I CANNOT send mail from home.

I have a laptop, and I formatted the drive, and reset it back to original out of the box settings. STILL unable to send email.

NO, it is not my ISP for my domain. I can go to my domain control panel, and send and receive mail. I can also go to mail2web.com and send and receive email.

I can telnet to my pop server on port 110. I use to be able to telnet to my SMTP server on port 25 or 26, or any other SMTP PORT 465, 587.

Here is what I know after 18 years experience in tech support. I started with an ISP as a dialup support tech. I do know email settings. MS Outlook will use POP3 server settings. Webmail will use IMAP settting. This is why I can go to a web based email like mail2web.com and send and reveive email. IMAP is NOT BLOCKED. SMTP is blocked.

When I call Verizon support, I get on the phone with people who either do not put notes in the ticketing system, or they do not read the notes that are there.

I have explained the situation more than a few times. The people on the other end of the phone give not indication that they have any idea about what is going on. I have been hung up on TWICE this past week alone. AND NO ONE EVER CALLS ME BACK.

So, here I am. Stuck. With no answers.

AT such time as my contract runs out with Verizon, I will be gone. I may leave next week. I will gladly pay early termination fees if needed.

The big ISP's just really don't care. They can afford to lose a few thousand customers.

Consumers just deal with it because they have no choice.

They bounce from one ISP to the next because they get lousy support form all of them.

Very sad

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't actually mentyion which port and which outgoing mail server you are using.

You should be using for outbound

smtp.verizon.net in the outgoing mail server (smtp) outlook setting

it will need your verizon credentials to logon to complete the send so on the outlook account more settings outgoing server you will  need

your verizon email userid and password and check remember password

on the advanced tab of more setting you will need to enter 

port 465 for outgoing server (smtp)

the session should be set to ssl

my incoming server is set to 110 that will be whatever your domain isp tech gave you.

0 Likes
bowiea

Only one problem. IT DOES NOT WORK!!

If you read my post, I said I tried all the smtp port settings. 25  26 465 and 587 and also tried no SSL, SSL and everything else in MS Outlook..

IT DOES NOT WORK..

Here is the telnet to mal.abcomputing.com 26

C:\Windows\system32>telnet mail.abcomputing.com 26
Connecting To mail.abcomputing.com...Could not open connection to the host, on p
ort 26: Connect failed

IT DOES NOT WORK.

Now telnet from an online telnet source.

telnet mail.abcomputing.com 26
220-rs19.websitehostserver.net ESMTP Exim 4.82 #2 Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:17:11 -0500
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.

THIS WORKS!! WHY? This is independent of the Verizon servers.

VERIZON IS BLOCKING MY SMTP SERVER FROM MY HOME COMPUTER.

Plain and simple tech support troubleshooting.

From my home computer I cannot reach my domain mail SMTP server.

I can reach webmail for my domain.

This means my domain IS NOT BLOCKING MY OUTGOING MAIL VERIZON IS.

So, whomever you are viafax999, you don't know either.

I sure hope Veriaon is monitoring this. It needs fixed.

I am thinking that if they are blocking my email outgoing, and are not working to resolve the issue, they may be in brach of contract.

We shall see.

0 Likes
bowiea

breach of contract.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bowiea wrote:

FYI, this forum is generally peer-to-peer.  Everyone except the Verizon moderators are just regular customers.  Some of us have been posting helpful stuff for a while and have earned the special designations you see, but we don't speak for Verizon or have any special knowledge of or access to Verizon's systems.

Sometimes the Verizon moderators will escalate issues when customers haven't gotten resolution through normal channels.  When that happens, the Verizon support team takes over and continues the conversation through private messages

Bottom line, if you want a response from Verizon you need contact them using the phone or online chat.  Posting here or other web forums and hoping you get a response isn't very productive.  Just contact them, they can often be helpful.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bowiea wrote:

So, whomever you are @viafax999, you don't know either.

I am thinking that if they are blocking my email outgoing, and are not working to resolve the issue, they may be in brach of contract.

We shall see.

I'm just another outlook user who has absolutely no problem getting to any of my mail servers and was trying to help you out.

I also can get to your mail server via telnet which says to me that Verizon isn't blocking port 26 - unless they are doing it just for you - sounds rather far fetched.  However if that is the case it would presumably have to be by ip address so you could try releasing your WAN address and getting a new one.  I would believe more likely is that there is something on your machine blocking the access. Does the problem occur on all machines in your house?  

Another possibility is that if you received a notification of spamming then the Ip address you have assigned to your router may have been blacklisted.  Again Releasing the address and acquiring a new one should resolve that.

You didn't mention whether you had tried using smtp.verizon.net for your outbound server.  If that doesn't work then Verizon should address the issue as that smtp server should always work from inside their network.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I am going to second the suggestion that you get a new WAN IP address. At a guess, I would think your email provider has blocked your current IP address due to that spam incident. That would explain why you cannot telnet from your home (with the "bad" IP address), but it works from a website (different IP address).

You can try calling Verizon to release and renew it for you, but the easiest way is probably to just unplug your router for a few hours. (While you run errands, sleep, watch a long movie, etc.)

If you decide to try it, let us know if it works out for you.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note your current ip address - it's on the main page of the router

You can release the wan ip address by logging on to the router and

select my network

select network connections

select broadband connection

select settings

select the release button next to dhcp lease

then turn off the router for a few minutes

turn the router back on and you should get a new ip address - check that it's different.