Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

SPAM

Reply
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎09-10-2009

SPAM

Message 1 of 32
(4,895 Views)

I have to say that Verizon.net has the worst SPAM control I've seen.  I had to switch to gmail for the simple fact that mostly every email I get is SPAM.  The online SPAM settings are atrocious.  I really hope they change their game up ALOT before they lose alot of customers from using another service.

31 REPLIES 31
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: SPAM

Message 2 of 32
(4,862 Views)

 


@sparker2000 wrote:

I have to say that Verizon.net has the worst SPAM control I've seen.  I had to switch to gmail for the simple fact that mostly every email I get is SPAM.  The online SPAM settings are atrocious.  I really hope they change their game up ALOT before they lose alot of customers from using another service.


My experience is just the opposite.

 

I have had FiOS internet for just about 5 years, and I have almost never gotten any SPAM into my inbox in all that time. I have my SPAM filter set to save all SPAM in a SPAM folder and I go check it once every 2-3 days just to make sure it didn't catch a legitimate email by mistake (and occasionally it does). Over the five years I have had spurts where I would get lots of SPAM and the filter would catch 40-50 messages a day, other times only 2-3. But almost never does one actually get through to my inbox, maybe on average 1 per week.

 

What SPAM settings do you have? Same settings on all Verizon email accounts?  I have the filter turned on and set to save all SPAM in a folder for two of my email accounts, and to delete all SPAM on the third account. Works just great.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.7.1, Build 09.97
Keller, TX 76248

Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-19-2010

Re: SPAM

Message 3 of 32
(4,628 Views)

Gee, I guess your experience Justin just makes it peachy for us who get 10 pieces of spam for every 1 legitimate email.

 

But I think that some of us are looking for the kind of aggressive spam handling we have been fortunate to have with other ISPs.

As for adding to domains and email addresses, that is a joke. I have added so many that somehow come back with a modified address.

 

I am a Fios customer, and have given up. I use a third party proxy email filtering service, and I have added Verizon to their spam database. Now when I open outlook I get only the valid emails from friends, business associates, or my legitimate subscriptions. What a pleasure, and I never have to look at a spam folder ot use the MS junk filter.

 

 

Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,820
Registered: ‎08-23-2008

Re: SPAM

Message 4 of 32
(4,621 Views)

I have my spam filter set the same as Justin, and I am getting 5-10 trash mails a day to bogus addresses in my Outlook Junk Mail folder. I have not figured out how to stop them. I do not click on the links or open any attachements. I know it could be just the act of looking at a message, but outlook blocks everything from executing on what it sonciders spam. Have forwarded the hearders and other information to spamcop and verizon. Spam cop only works if you have paid them and have an address on their domain. It will send out complaints to the hosting provider or network provider of the IP. Can't stop the trash either. I know my machine is very clean, no maleware or viruses. How to stop the Spam? At first the filter worked great, almost too great. These seem to slip right through, and always from a different bogus domain.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: SPAM

Message 5 of 32
(4,618 Views)

 


@VAGENT wrote:

Gee, I guess your experience Justin just makes it peachy for us who get 10 pieces of spam for every 1 legitimate email.

 

But I think that some of us are looking for the kind of aggressive spam handling we have been fortunate to have with other ISPs.

As for adding to domains and email addresses, that is a joke. I have added so many that somehow come back with a modified address.

 

I am a Fios customer, and have given up. I use a third party proxy email filtering service, and I have added Verizon to their spam database. Now when I open outlook I get only the valid emails from friends, business associates, or my legitimate subscriptions. What a pleasure, and I never have to look at a spam folder ot use the MS junk filter.

 

 


 

Serious question: Do you really think that kind of remark will help get you a fix? Honestly? From anybody, Verizon or another user or ?????

 

All I did was post my experience, and point out that the SPAM filter that Verizon is using works very well for me. Why it doesn't for you? I have no idea. But maybe, just maybe, you are doing something wrong, or different, or unusal, or ???? that causes it to not work for you.

 

Based on my experience, Verizon is in fact using an aggressive SPAM filter, and I appreciate that they do. Right now I am also fortunate that, for some reason, I don't see anywhere near the SPAM now that I used to see, and I just pointed that out for completeness.

 

I am glad you found a solution that works for you.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.7.1, Build 09.97
Keller, TX 76248

Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,820
Registered: ‎08-23-2008

Re: SPAM

Message 6 of 32
(4,612 Views)

 


@Justin wrote:

 


@VAGENT wrote:

Gee, I guess your experience Justin just makes it peachy for us who get 10 pieces of spam for every 1 legitimate email.

 

But I think that some of us are looking for the kind of aggressive spam handling we have been fortunate to have with other ISPs.

As for adding to domains and email addresses, that is a joke. I have added so many that somehow come back with a modified address.

 

I am a Fios customer, and have given up. I use a third party proxy email filtering service, and I have added Verizon to their spam database. Now when I open outlook I get only the valid emails from friends, business associates, or my legitimate subscriptions. What a pleasure, and I never have to look at a spam folder ot use the MS junk filter.

 

 


 

Serious question: Do you really think that kind of remark will help get you a fix? Honestly? From anybody, Verizon or another user or ?????

 

All I did was post my experience, and point out that the SPAM filter that Verizon is using works very well for me. Why it doesn't for you? I have no idea. But maybe, just maybe, you are doing something wrong, or different, or unusal, or ???? that causes it to not work for you.

 

Based on my experience, Verizon is in fact using an aggressive SPAM filter, and I appreciate that they do. Right now I am also fortunate that, for some reason, I don't see anywhere near the SPAM now that I used to see, and I just pointed that out for completeness.

 

I am glad you found a solution that works for you.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.7.1, Build 09.97
Keller, TX 76248


I sort of agree with you on that Justin and probably should not have fueled the fire. We are all here to help when we can, an occational rant here and there. Perhaps VAGENT is having a bad day. It has only been in the last six months that mine has started. Somehow they are getting past the filter but outlook sees them as junk.

 

Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎03-18-2009

Re: SPAM

Message 7 of 32
(4,496 Views)

I also get literally hundreds of SPAM  mail, but I have no idea how to set the SPAM system to filter out that stuff.  Where are some instructions?

Sid

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: SPAM

Message 8 of 32
(4,491 Views)

 


@Cyberdude wrote:

I also get literally hundreds of SPAM  mail, but I have no idea how to set the SPAM system to filter out that stuff.  Where are some instructions?

Sid


 

Log into My Verizon. Toward the bottom on the right side of the window you should see a list of topics you can click on, click on Account Tools. This should display your Primary Account info, including the Email Settings. The SPAM filter setting is there.

 

Based on what others are saying it may or may not help; it has most definitely worked well for me.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.7.1, Build 09.97
Keller, TX 76248

 

 

Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎08-24-2010

Re: SPAM

Message 9 of 32
(4,411 Views)

{please keep your posts courteous}Don't turn everything back on the customer because of Verizon's apparent practice of selling off their email account listings and your inability to provide quantitative solution. The fact still remains that if Verizon were actually doing all they could to stop SPAM, this thread probably would not exist.

 

You don't mention what tools VZ is using to stop SPAM, you don't offer any guidance outside of it being incumbant upon the customer to do what VZ should be doing in the first place and ultimately provide little in the way of customer support!

 

Where am I coming from? Within minutes of setting up my email accounts, yes, minites, I began getting SPAM. This leaves only one common denominator and it is not, contrary to your implications, the customer.

 

For any customer reading this: One of the first rules of A+ or Helpdesk work is determining what the user did wrong! so before you expect to get something even remotely resembling  competent help, expect to do your own work first. WHich to a lot of us is quite the novel concept and begs the question; just what the hell are we paying for?

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: SPAM

Message 10 of 32
(4,401 Views)

 


@mhicks10 wrote:

{please keep your posts courteous} Don't turn everything back on the customer because of Verizon's apparent practice of selling off their email account listings and your inability to provide quantitative solution. The fact still remains that if Verizon were actually doing all they could to stop SPAM, this thread probably would not exist.

 

You don't mention what tools VZ is using to stop SPAM, you don't offer any guidance outside of it being incumbant upon the customer to do what VZ should be doing in the first place and ultimately provide little in the way of customer support!

 

Where am I coming from? Within minutes of setting up my email accounts, yes, minites, I began getting SPAM. This leaves only one common denominator and it is not, contrary to your implications, the customer.

 

For any customer reading this: One of the first rules of A+ or Helpdesk work is determining what the user did wrong! so before you expect to get something even remotely resembling  competent help, expect to do your own work first. WHich to a lot of us is quite the novel concept and begs the question; just what the hell are we paying for?


I'm sorry, but maybe you can explain why the SPAM filter Verizon is using, whatever it is, has caught and is catching nearly 100% of the SPAM sent to my Verizon email addresses? All I said is that it works very well for me, and I suspect for lots of Verizon email users. Yes, there is this thread, but how many people have posted? Eight replies, of which 3 are mine! Not many considering that Verizon has what, close to 4 million internet users, with how many email addresses? I think you are just doing what a lot of people do, projecting whatever your problem is to everybody, and I think you are wrong to do that.

 

 

How in the world could I mention what tools Verizon is using to stop SPAM? How would I know? Please explain to me what steps I can/should take to find out what filter they are using? And for that matter, why should I care, whatever it is, it works for me.

 

OK, you started getting SPAM within minutes of setting up an email account. Do you really, really think Verizon, within minutes, told the spamers what it is? Maybe, but I don't believe it. Did you sent an email to anyone within minutes after you set it up? Did you tell anyone your new address within minutes of setting it up? I bet you did, and I bet that is how someone learned your address now exists. Or maybe you chose an email address that someone else used some time ago and it was already on the spammers lists (is that allowed? I have no idea). About a month ago I added an additional email address to my Verizon account; I have not received one single SPAM message to it in that time; please explain that. But if you want to believe that Verizon participates in the great SPAM conspiracy, feel free.

 

Now to the Helpdesk; OK, what Verizon helpdesk have you contacted, and what was the result? Please be specific, dates, times, questions, answers, etc, as I don't think you have told us.

 

And finally, what are you paying for? Internet service. Period. As part of the internet service Verizon offers email, you can use it or not, your choice. If you don't like it, then cancel, you can and should vote with your dollars, that is always the most effective way to tell any company that you don't like their service, product, or whatever.

 

Look, I am sorry you are getting SPAM, I do know how annoying it can be. When I had cable I got tons, and in the beginning with Verizon I got tons. And I didn't like it, and I used some PC-based tools to try to control it. But Verizon appears to have stepped up and with FiOS today, for whatever reason, I get very litle, and I am extremely happy that I don't. And I believe that the reason I don't is that Verizon's SPAM filter works well, because I have not done anything else to control it.

 

__________________________________
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
QIP6416-P1, IMG 1.7.1, Build 09.97
Keller, TX 76248

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.