Re: SPAM
Justin46
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

I have had Verizon's spam filter on and set to move to the spam folder for years and my local client (Outlook or Outlook Express) only retrieves the emails in my inbox.  I use the move option because occasionally the spam filter grabs a non-spam email (even after I have added the sender to my "whitelist").

I agree 100%, both the reason for using move to the spam folder and the results using a PC-based client (in my case, Windows Live Mail). That is the way it works.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have my spam filter turned on and do not throw away anything until I make sure I do not want it. I clean out my spam folder through webmail. I also never open emails from unknown sources. The screen image I posted are emails that are blowing right past the spam filter but get caught by outlook. I have been forwarding with headers to spamdetector. notcaught@verizon. net (spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net)

I have been getting responses that they will be investigated but they still keep coming. I just empty my junk mail folder in outlook on a regular basis too. But have started forwarding to verizon in hopes to help better the filter. Will it help? Your guess is as good as mine.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I have never bothered to forward any of the SPAM I have received to anybody, but maybe what others have done have helped me Smiley Happy If so, thanks!

Besides turning on the SPAM filter in webmail, you can also define up to 300 blocking filters there, under Mail in My Settings. If you can identify the domain names that are consistently causing problems, you can define them in the blocking filter and they will be treated the same as if the SPAM filter found them. Many times you will get email from different users but from the same domain, this will catch email from all senders on the same domain (just be sure it is not a domain that you also want to receive email from, in that case you would need to enter the entire address).

I just checked, found 4 in my SPAM folder, two obvious sex spam, two with domains I have defined in the blocking filter. So it can help, at least a little.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

The ones that are getting through are from random domains, and all with bogus return lookups. All contain scripting and various links. It almost looks like a virus in the wild just sending out spam with forever changing domains. I know my machine is clean. It could be that someone that has my email address is infected and or I have somehow found myself on the spam list from hell. More anoying than anything. But it is only 5-10 a day, but all the same style, and all blow right past the filter. Some days 15 to 20. Outlook can see it as spam, so back to my origional question, why does the Verizon spam filter not see it as spam? I know I can add 300 domains, but what is the point, the list will fill up quickly, and that is to much like work.

0 Likes
JubiLee2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue, and I have also been forwarding these messages to Verizon's spamdetector.notcaught E-mail without any satisfactory results.  In fact it looks like most of the same garbage as seen in prisaz's screen shot - Liberty Medical, Quibids, SimplyInk, numerous dating sites along with plenty of outright scams like fake jobs, grants, credit repair, malicious Facebook survey links and on and on.

They're all obvious spam as anyone can see from the sender and subject lines, not to mention the forged headers, bogus embedded HTML content, jpg image in the body of the message, etc.  Every message seems to be sent in the same format and these are the kinds of things any spam filter should be able to detect at this point, so why is it all getting past Verizon's?

I feel like Verizon doesn't take this seriously and gives no priority to responding to customer complaints about spam at all. I'm guessing they subcontract their spam filtering to a third party who invests very little into it, and is only in it for easy profit from the big telecom.  Otherwise, who can you even talk to at Verizon who would even have half a clue about it?  Certainly not the CSR's as all they'll do is read their prepared scripts and walk you through setting up your "spam detector" which is obviously already on. 

Again, every other E-mail provider does a better job at spam filtering than Verizon.  Even Hotmail, and especially Gmail filters out the vast majority of spam before it reaches the In box, so why can't Verizon do the same?  And unlike Hotmail and Gmail which are free, we're actually paying Verizon for this service, so I don't think it's so unreasonable to demand better results.

catsanctuary17
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whohoo!  I completely agree!  This is just another case of how Verizon is rude and refuses to consider that there is a problem with a "feature", never mind fix it.  If you look around this forum Justin-Verizon-employee, you will see that there are in fact MANY people who are having problems with the spam filter, including me.  The entire email setup is useless and archaic.  Look at the gmail setup.  Those are the features needed and the ease of use is fabulous.  Not click this click that just to set a filter that still doesn't work.

0 Likes
djm12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree.  Verizon is letting way too much spam through.  Why would an ISP let a message sent from this insane domain  {edited for privacy} (for instance) through to the customer?  It's insane how much spam I get on the weekdays.  (20-30 spams) 

0 Likes
djm12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sir. I believe you get very little spam because you are not using the verizon e-mail as your primary.  Anyone that has their facebook and other accounts linked to verizon will get inundated with dozens of spams a day.  The verizon spam filters are not blocking much. 

djm12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for posting.  You are experiencing exactly the same thing that I experienced.  I noted a significant increase in spam when I started playing Zynga games on facebook. I'll probably need to change ny e-mail to get rid of it.

djm12
Enthusiast - Level 2

The verizon blocking filter feature only works with legit senders, so it is completely useless for preventing real spam.  Spammers use seemingly random domains that appear to never repeat.  I tried blocking hundreds of these domains and it's a losing battle.  The only real solution is for verizon to lock down on "new" domains or put them in a sandbox until manually approved.  For instance, block all domains that are not already in the system by default, e.g. "@Bacreadearefornighteopere.info, @comatose143.Zamboanga379.grannies904.bourn316.clasoflargest.info, etc."

If verizon would block new domains by default, they would undoubtably prevent a number of good messages through.  However, they could also employ some sort of registry system to allow new domains to verify they are legit. 

I've sent hundreds of these types of spam to verizon's @spamdetector.notcaught, but it doesn't seem to matter.  They just keep coming and coming.

I know you are trying to help, but you need to actually be a victim in this case to offer good advice.  If you aren't getting spam, you are quite fortunate.