STILL CONFUSION over settings for verizon.net email
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

I've had my POP3 email on verizon.net since we got DSL in 2004 (?) and still have it because we are now FIOS customers.  But there is STILL CONFUSION over the correct server settings to connect and download emails to Outlook.  Yes, I know that verizon.net email moved to aol a few years ago.

This aol help page:

--- Update Verizon.net account info in POP3 email applications --- 

says that we should use these settings:

No matter what application or software you use, the POP sever and port settings will be the same. Just make sure SSL is enabled and you use your full email address, including @verizon.net.

Server Settings Port Settings

Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net   POP3-995-SSL

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net    SMTP-465-SSL

However, my Outlook has had these different server setting for some time -- I recall at the suggestion of an aol help person:

Incoming:  pop.aol.com  (port 995-SSL)

Outgoing:  smtp.aol.com  (port 465-SSL)

So, which is correct?

And do my settings cause the duplicate download problem that has goptten so much worse the last few weeks?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: STILL CONFUSION over settings for verizon.net email
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Hey everyone - any thoughts about the above?

What are YOUR settings in your email client for verizon.net email if you're connected to the aol server?  (I know I am because, on a browser, I go to mail.aol.com.)

Well?

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Just for the h*** of it, I tried the "verizon" entries above, and they definitely do not work.  The test message failed immediately with two error messages.  Leaving it at "aol" brought it back (such as it is).

Interesting that aol is so shoddy that not only do we suffer constant re-downloads of duplicate emails, but even their help instructions are wrong. 

Aol is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Verizon.  Good work there.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

UPDATE - I just tried again, and the verizon.net server settings DO work.  (Maybe I had mistyped them earlier as verizon.com?) 

Earlier, in Control Panel - internet Options - Advanced, I checked TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and UNchecked SSL 2.0 and 3.0.

So, let's see if these new settings reduce the duplicate email download problem.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

MORE UPDATE - the verizon.net server settings and TLS IE advanced settings do NOT help with the duplicate email downloard problem.

AOL continues to be the worst email service provider I know.  Verizon (which owns AOL) continues to shirk its responsibility to make it work decently.

0 Likes