Security question after World of Warcraft and associated e-mail address hacked
MsGnomer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

My World of Warcraft account was hacked into a couple of weeks ago, and it's been a nightmare ever since. They use your e-mail as your account name to log onto the game, so my e-mail address was also hacked into. This makes me VERY nervous, since that address is also a WindowsLive account, which, in turn, has a favorites bar, with access to all my contacts, websites for credit cards, bank accts, etc. , plus all of Verizons websites the FIOS guy installed, including my Verizon e-mail account.

The hacker changed my e-mail password, so I couldn't get to that acct at all. I asked MSN for a password reset from an alternate e-mail address, which took about 3 days for them to get to me. Mangaged to gain access and change the password (this was at night, after getting home from work), and am relieved beyond belief that I went in and deleted all my banks and bills from the favorites bar before logging out, because when I went to check e-mail the very next morning, my password had been changed AGAIN! My secret question seems to be permanently in Chinese now in all my other MSN/hotmail e-mail accts, and I continually get told the secret answer to the secret question of the acct in question is wrong. By coincidence, my biggest, baddest, best character in WoW was transfered to an Oceanic Realm, which includes China. Big surprise.

Now I can't get to the hacked e-mail at all. Won't let me change it, says I've tried too many times. MSN has been totally useless. They sent me to a private forum, made me answer a bunch of questions, including things on my account like last 4 of my SSN, birthdate, names of e-mail conatacts, subject of e-mails I've recieved, that sort of thing, and then replied that I didn't answer their questions sufficiently and they don't think I'm me. So.....they refuse to help me reset my password so I can gain access to my hacked e-mail to close it. And they apparently refuse to close it for me. GAH!  I've sent them more information, as much I can remember, but  just got the same response.

I can still log onto my other e-mail/WindowsLive accounts and can close them if I want, but I just don't feel safe with the main one hanging out there with a favorites tab where they could gain access to my Verizon e-mail account. I don't know what to do.

Am I over reacting? Anybody know what kind of damage a hacker can do with a stolen e-mail/WindowsLive account?

Where's Tron when you really need him?

Re: Security question after World of Warcraft and associated e-mail address hacked
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Change the passwords for EVERYthing else to something different from the password you had set on that account. Remove that account from any recovery options.

Also, stop using the same password for everything. It's really not a good idea.

Re: Security question after World of Warcraft and associated e-mail address hacked
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

... and use obscure password recovery security question answers.   For example,  don't use a question like "what was your home town?" or other questions which are easy to determine or guess about you.   If you do, use a purposely wrong answer -- for example, decide when asked "what was your home town?" that you will always answer "pepperoni pizza". 

Techman28
Master - Level 1

ok here is the thing about the msn accounts that I have come across. The way that they are able to change the password after you change it is they have the option of sending your password info to another email address. I'm willing to bet there is a yahoo email address that's in there as a forwarding address that is very easily over looked. however first things first you will need to see if you can have the info changed back to english you might want to give verizon a buzz on this one and have them conference you in with MSN to confirm you are you and they will generally assist us in helping you get your account secured all over again.. I've seen this about 3 times within the past 6 months

0 Likes