Sending email messages with Outlook 2007
harp9176

I use Outlook 2007 for email and have FIOS at home.  I also use it on the road and in the office.  No problems until the last week when all outgoing email get hung up in my outbox at home.  When I connect elsewhere, they are sent.  I have tried changing the account settings and did a complete shut down of the system with no luck. 

Interestingly, my ipad and blackberry have no trouble at home.  Did something change recently in the Dallas Texas area to mess with us Outlook users?

0 Likes
Re: Sending email messages with Outlook 2007
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

It depends on what email provider you are using. If you are using Verizon's mail servers, you shouldn't have any issues. If you are using a different provider, then Verizon is blocking port 25 and you will need to switch to a different port.

Verizon's announcement/more info can be found at: http://www.verizon.net/port25

Bear in mind that you do not have to use 587, just a port other than 25. (For instance, Gmail uses 465.) If you need help with the changes, let us know what ESP (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc.) you are using and what client (Outlook Express, Mac Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) and I'll see if I can get some screenshots together. 😉

pingdavid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Blocking port 25 is a pain.  When Comcast started blocking port 25, they opened up port 25 for customers who requested that it be opened up for them.  I wonder if this blocking of port 25 by Verizon is a hard and fast rule, or if they will open it back up for selected customers without having to buy a static IP address.

David

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pingdavid wrote:

Blocking port 25 is a pain.  When Comcast started blocking port 25, they opened up port 25 for customers who requested that it be opened up for them.  I wonder if this blocking of port 25 by Verizon is a hard and fast rule, or if they will open it back up for selected customers without having to buy a static IP address.

David

What pain?  Just change it, may take you all of 30 seconds.

tadfurtado
Enthusiast - Level 2

Viuafax, it is a pain.  Not only do we have to swap the settings, which isn't a real hardship, but many server hosts won't open another port simply because Verizon decided to block the common setting.

In my case, I am now forced to use Verizon's outbound server to send emails, which means they are subject to the limits and spam filter.  Today is the first day of me using this and already I have had two messages blocked as spam.

Now keep in mind that these are messages from me to just one person and that person happens to be on the same domain as me.  They are a work colleage.  So clearly not spam.

So the pain is not changing the settings, but rather that I am now forced to either use the Verizon mail server, which I would just assume avoid.  I'd be very happy to keep my so called spammy traffic off it for them if they'd let me.

AlexKrenvalk

I know a lot of interesting programs. But no one of it couldn't help me several days ago. I opened my MS Outlook and received new emails. Unfortunately I didn't read them,reason of they were corrupted and no one knew how. Unexpectedly a friend called me up and he informed me a lot of interesting things. After that I came around and could find in the Net a software - corrupted pst. It helped me for seconds and I didn't spend my money.

0 Likes
phillyeve

Simple and silly - under advanced setting in mail account change outgoing server from 587 back to 25.  Keep incoming server as 110.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes