Re: Servers Down on Email Clients?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Fergus155 wrote:

Same here in Somerset PA. Verizon email outage is on its 3rd day. Probably being fixed by same people who did Obamacare website.

Servers are not down, so you have some other  problem. 

DebbieCarterPA

So why does this website:

http://www.websitedown.info/pop.verizon.net

say that it's down?

I HAVE started a new post about this problem, because it's not resolved for me. (I can't get in through Outlook 2010 or Android app, but webmail access is fine.)  And an online chat person checked my Outlook settings and still got the error.

Debbie

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DebbieCarterPA wrote:

say that it's down?

I HAVE started a new post about this problem, because it's not resolved for me. (I can't get in through Outlook 2010 or Android app, but webmail access is fine.)  And an online chat person checked my Outlook settings and still got the error.

Debbie

The websitedown site inititates a web browser session to port 80 and waits for an OKAY.

The email servers only accept port 995 and port 465 SSL connections and pop/smtp exchanges.  The reject just about anything else.

BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@DebbieCarterPA wrote:

say that it's down?

Debbie

That site is telling me it's down, too, but my email is working.  So, don't rely on that site.

Make sure your incoming mail (POP3) server is "pop.verizon.net" and you are specifying SSL protocol on port 995.  Make sure your outgoing (SMTP) server is "smtp.verizon.net" and you are specifying SSL protocol on port 465.  Finally, make sure you have spelled your account name and password properly.  Passwords are case-sensitive.

The fact that webmail is working for you doesn't prove anything.  Webmail does not use these protocols and is not using the account name & password as stored on your computer and phone.

PekingDuck

I have had the same issue since 5/21.  After many hours on the phone everything started working fine once I turned off Norton Internet Security today

0 Likes
Tomm-info

One would think that Verizon would mention, that not only does the email client (Oulook etc.) need to be changed, but the router settings must also be changed.

I change my router ports settings also and all of a sudden everything worked as before.

I'm using a computer. I don't know how it works with a smart phone or other.

Does the following look familiar? It's in the router settings pages. Check out  the (advanced) menu -left then "protocols".

Be careful when changing things in the router. It's like changing the registry in the computer. If you mess it up, you might need to call for repair. Write everything down first.

0 Likes
Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I can't see your image/screencap yet, assuming that it's waiting for Mod approval.

I have the Westell A90-9100M15-10 (91OOEM)  Router but haven't changed any settings due to the recent Outlook/e-mail server issues.  Perhaps my Router had the required changes in place prior to the recent issue with the Verizon e-mail client server/interface.

I'm running Outlook 2003.  It's been working since mid-morning 05/21 (U.S. date-time) when I'm assuming Verizon fixed their server/interface issues.

Here's my Protocol screencap from my Router (most port info erased from my image file by me).

Are you referring to the 2 settings that I highlited in the screencap?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Scoop8 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I can't see your image/screencap yet, assuming that it's waiting for Mod approval.

I have the Westell A90-9100M15-10 (91OOEM)  Router but haven't changed any settings due to the recent Outlook/e-mail server issues.  Perhaps my Router had the required changes in place prior to the recent issue with the Verizon e-mail client server/interface.

I'm running Outlook 2003.  It's been working since mid-morning 05/21 (U.S. date-time) when I'm assuming Verizon fixed their server/interface issues.

Here's my Protocol screencap from my Router (most port info erased from my image file by me).

Are you referring to the 2 settings that I highlited in the screencap?

Not sure it would be needed but for that routher you might have to add for pop3ssl tcpany  -> 995

and smtpssl tcpany -> 465

0 Likes