Set Thunderbird to send and receive Email instead of Windows Live
SMS

I have tried numerous times to set an Email account using Thunderbird each and EVERY time the user name, password info is correct.  In the Account setup window Thunderbird displays Thunderbird has found the settings for your email account.  When I access Create Account I receive the following (I'll give it to you in short) Incoming settings incoming.verizon.net does not use  encryption. The same goes for outgoing settings  I am sent back to account setup window where I am questioned if username or password are wrong.  I have not been able to figure out how to correct this.

email any suggestions to {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: Set Thunderbird to send and receive Email instead of Windows Live
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up fictional account "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: incoming.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes
Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): No
Port: 110

Outgoing Server: outgoing.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes (You can set it to use the same settings as incoming, or manually enter the username and password.)
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): No
Port: 25 (although 587 also works.)

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the server names are: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net -and- outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

(Can't email it to you because your address was edited out, which is a good thing.)

0 Likes