Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Reply
Billhoward
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-19-2013

Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 1 of 13
(1,745 Views)
I am on a Norwegian cargo ship off the coast of Norway. It has Wi-Fi, but I cannot send emails using my iPad. I understand that Verizon has had big problems recently. I cannot phone Verizon for advice, and if the problem is Verizon's fault, I do not want to change my settings. Can anyone advise me how to fix the problem? Very frustrating and I have not been able to reach technical support using my Safari browser.
Sincerely, W. E. Howard
12 REPLIES 12
jumpin68ny
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 1,778
Registered: ‎05-14-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 2 of 13
(1,728 Views)

Make sure your settings are set to be the following.  I'm not sure why you don't want to change your settings.  Also, I'd be curious to know if other folks can send/receive email without issue at your location.  

 

http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/86...

 

 

User name settings

  • Your Verizon Online user name
  • Your Verizon Online password
     

High Speed Internet (DSL) settings

  • Domain: dsl.verizon.net
  • Network protocol used: TCP/IP
     

Mail server settings

  • Incoming mail server (POP3😞 pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP😞 smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Your Verizon Online user name
  • Your Verizon Online password
  • Make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.
     
viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,159
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 3 of 13
(1,666 Views)

@Billhoward wrote:
I am on a Norwegian cargo ship off the coast of Norway. It has Wi-Fi, but I cannot send emails using my iPad. I understand that Verizon has had big problems recently. I cannot phone Verizon for advice, and if the problem is Verizon's fault, I do not want to change my settings. Can anyone advise me how to fix the problem? Very frustrating and I have not been able to reach technical support using my Safari browser.
Sincerely, W. E. Howard

Not sure where the previous poster's setting come from but certainly are different to what I use also I have to ssume you are using some form of mail client as using web mail should be no different wherver you are in the world.

 

Incoming server - incoming.verizon.net

outgoing server - outgoing.verizon.net

login information - your userid and password for your email account

 

More settings

outgoing server - outgoing server (smtp) check requires authentication

use same settings as incoming mail server for security

 

Advanced - incoming server (pop3) port 110

outgoing server (smtp)  port 587

 

I would guess that your issue is probably the outgoing server port.  If you have it set to 25 it will work when you are connected to a verizon network otherwise the mail will get rejected for reason relaying.

 

 

EDIT

Ah I see where previous poster got his setting, they are on the page he referenced, interesting that it mentions DSL on there.  I am a FIOS user.  Can't believe there are any difference in mail setting between FIOS and DSL but maybe, 

 

I took my mail setting out of my Outlook email client properties and they have been working fine for years.

 

As to changing setting you need to bear in mind.  Settings that are used on devices that are not attached to Verizon's network WILL work when the device ias attached to the VZ network.

The reverse is not necessarily true.

tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 4,437
Registered: ‎12-16-2012

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 4 of 13
(1,649 Views)

@viafax999 wrote:

@Billhoward wrote:
I am on a Norwegian cargo ship off the coast of Norway. It has Wi-Fi, but I cannot send emails using my iPad. I understand that Verizon has had big problems recently. I cannot phone Verizon for advice, and if the problem is Verizon's fault, I do not want to change my settings. Can anyone advise me how to fix the problem? Very frustrating and I have not been able to reach technical support using my Safari browser.
Sincerely, W. E. Howard

Not sure where the previous poster's setting come from but certainly are different to what I use also I have to ssume you are using some form of mail client as using web mail should be no different wherver you are in the world.

 

Incoming server - incoming.verizon.net

outgoing server - outgoing.verizon.net

login information - your userid and password for your email account

 

More settings

outgoing server - outgoing server (smtp) check requires authentication

use same settings as incoming mail server for security

 

Advanced - incoming server (pop3) port 110

outgoing server (smtp)  port 587

 

I would guess that your issue is probably the outgoing server port.  If you have it set to 25 it will work when you are connected to a verizon network otherwise the mail will get rejected for reason relaying.

 

 

EDIT

Ah I see where previous poster got his setting, they are on the page he referenced, interesting that it mentions DSL on there.  I am a FIOS user.  Can't believe there are any difference in mail setting between FIOS and DSL but maybe, 

 

I took my mail setting out of my Outlook email client properties and they have been working fine for years.

 

As to changing setting you need to bear in mind.  Settings that are used on devices that are not attached to Verizon's network WILL work when the device ias attached to the VZ network.

The reverse is not necessarily true.


The settings mentioned by you are the very old settings.  They were changed at least a couple years ago.  The latest ones are as mentioned by Jumpin68ny for VERIZON email (DSL AND FIOS included) where a third party such as Yahoo is not used.

Mail server settings

  • Incoming mail server (POP3😞 pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP😞 smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Your Verizon Online user name
  • Your Verizon Online password
  • Make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.
     

Also make sure when using these SSL servers that the password is normal (in the clear).

 

See http://verizon.com/emailsettings

JOSEm441
Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Posts: 631
Registered: ‎12-17-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 5 of 13
(1,640 Views)

Incoming server - incoming.verizon.net ????

outgoing server - outgoing.verizon.net  ???

I was under the impression that these 2 were being phased out (per the mass email)  and POP (port 995) + SMTP (port 465) ... are the latest for DSL, FIOS, etc.

GR8 point about clients.. I have not seen a many point this out, for instance Zohomail uses pop.zoho.com, Port: 995, SSL & smtp.zoho.com, Port: 465, SSL

 

~~~ congrats Jumpin68ny on the MVP award.

 

To BillHoward ... If you are using a browser there should be no setting changes needed. It is possible that whatever port you are using is being blocked by a firewall so you may want to look into that

There are some tips here AFA IPad also http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Verizon-s-New-POP-settings-for-Email/td-p/591563

 

 

If a forum member gives an answer you like, please give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem. Thanks !!!
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Fix-for-Missing-Inbox-sent-folders-etc-with-Internet-Explorer-11/m-p/647399
viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,159
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 6 of 13
(1,634 Views)

@tns_2 wrote:


The settings mentioned by you are the very old settings.  They were changed at least a couple years ago.  The latest ones are as mentioned by Jumpin68ny for VERIZON email (DSL AND FIOS included) where a third party such as Yahoo is not used.

Mail server settings

  • Incoming mail server (POP3😞 pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP😞 smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Your Verizon Online user name
  • Your Verizon Online password
  • Make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.
     

Also make sure when using these SSL servers that the password is normal (in the clear).

 

See http://verizon.com/emailsettings


Interesting as my previous setting were as you spcifu for the incoming and outgoing servers

 

Anybody have any hint as to when the referred to mass mailing came out as appear to have never received it?

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,159
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 7 of 13
(1,631 Views)

@viafax999 wrote:

Interesting as my previous setting were as you spcifu for the incoming and outgoing servers

 

Anybody have any hint as to when the referred to mass mailing came out as appear to have never received it?


Looks like 2/22/2013.  Odd I have no record of having ever received it 

Oh Well i have no objection to changing it.

Amy idea when old setting are being discontinued?

 

JOSEm441
Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Posts: 631
Registered: ‎12-17-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 8 of 13
(1,610 Views)

^^^ I believe the original email stated after Sept 2013 there may be disruptions, so my guess is October 1 but cannot seem to find any official VZ comfirmation of the cut off.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, please give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem. Thanks !!!
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Fix-for-Missing-Inbox-sent-folders-etc-with-Internet-Explorer-11/m-p/647399
viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,159
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 9 of 13
(1,606 Views)

So as to not hijack the OP's thread I'll open a new thread so as to not confuse his and my issues.

 New Thread
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Cannot-get-Outlook-to-work-with-new-outgoing-server-name-...

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,159
Registered: ‎11-10-2009

Re: Since Sept 15, 2013 I cannot send emails, but I can send them

Message 10 of 13
(1,589 Views)

@JOSEm441 wrote:

^^^ I believe the original email stated after Sept 2013 there may be disruptions, so my guess is October 1 but cannot seem to find any official VZ comfirmation of the cut off.


Thanks

 

I can change the setting now as somegirl gave me the solution on my other thread.

Whether that will help the OP on this thread I don't know.

 

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.