Re: Spam Detector
Elra
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  I've maxed out the filters (using them to additionally ID spam).  Still getting huge amounts of spam.  Agree, this is a relatively new change.  Is anyone at Verizon caring?  Perhaps we need to get onto social media to publicize?  Or perhaps a local news org? 

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

Billfly,

While I do not have any personal experience with this and based upon what I've learned in this thread, I question if Verizon is proactively blocking emails. I can readily accept that your addressee has established blocking rules which Verizon is enforcing which it should.

I might suggest trying a few things. Create another email account either a subordinate one within Verizon or from another email service. I use zoho.com as a secondary email channel. See if an email gets through with this secondary account. Turn off your modem and after a bit turn it back on. This will change your IP address but not the network address, the leftmost part. Send again. Research the company to which you're submitting your resume. Assure yourself that it is a ligitimate company. I could envision Verizon being proactive in blocking emails to sites that are known to steal identities.

Are you using an email client of your PC/tablet or are you going directly to the email server on the Internet? I receive/send all my email primarily from my client, Thunderbird. I have minimal experience sending/receiving emails at the server interface.

Get back to us and let us know what you expereinced.

Good luck. Hopefully, enjoy the learning experience.

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

Elra,

I've found that the return email addresses of spam email is meaningless to use to filter or block.spam. Adding them to your email settings is an exercise in futility. Looking at the headers of the spam emails that I was receiving I saw that many did not contain an explicit "Recipient" address. Such emails where showing up on the client with no "To:" line. Also, I found some spam emails that contained my email address in the subject line. Thus I created the following filters:

If Subject Contains <my email address@verizon.net> move to SpamDetector
If To does not contain <my email address@verizon.net> delete

I'm not sure yet if filtering with wild-carded IP addresses is effective. I'm hoping that TNS_2 will provide some insight.

If you have yet to create these filters, do so and see if it makes a difference.

Please get back to us and let us know.

Thanks.

Note: I would suggest that you do not unsubscribe from a spam email. Doing so confirms to the spammer that the email address is valid and active. Only unsubscribe from emails from sites in which you have at one time selected to to be added to a mailing list.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@stu357 wrote:

7/22/14

I don't know if it was something that I did or that Verizon did but for the past two days, spam detection on Verizon email is as I would expect /want it to be. Spam emails are being directed to my SpamDetector folder and they are not being downloaded onto my PC client.

On Sunday I cleared all the entries in my email settings for filtering and blocking. Then I added the following as filters:

If From Contains 5.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 23.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 31.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 37.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 45.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 77.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 91.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 92.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 93.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 103.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 107.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 117.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 119.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 144.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 149.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 150.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 161.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 162.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 192.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 193.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 194.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 195.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 198.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 199.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 202.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 203.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 205.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 206.*.*.* move to SpamDetector
If From Contains 212.*.*.* move to SpamDetector

I'm not sure if the wild-card IP addresses are being applied. I periodically scan the contents of the SpamDectector folder to insure that no valid email is flagged as spam.

Has anyone else experienced improvements in Verizon's spam detection?

Bad idea. Those are big ranges (and I don't think the spamdetector supports such wild carding) and some of them probably cover some totally valid mail

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

TNS_2,

I suspect that your right about SpamDetector not supporting wild-carded IP address filters. I've directed all such filtered emails to be placed in the SpamDetector folder to see if any non-spam emails are flagged. So far, all the emails I've found flagged as spam have been correctly tagged.

So far this week, I've been pleased with SpamDetector. Something changed. I'm hoping that some of the other contributors to this forum thread will share their recent experiences.

Other than the two filtering rules:

I'm not sure what a user can do to effectively filter out spam email. Using email addresses or domain names seems futile.

Forwarding emails to: spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net did not appear to be effective.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have looked at enough email headers to be able to recognize how a spam email differs more so from what it doesn't have than what non-spam emails have. Being able to flag an email as spam or probable spam should be relatively straightforward. Now, I don't expect the typical email subscriber to have the wherewithal to be analyzing email headers.

The "From" or "Reply to" email address or domain thereof of the email seen by the recipient is useless for filtering or blocking commercial spam. Thinking that one can find a keyword in the subject with which to filter spam is naive or blatantly misleading.

Verizon, based upon its ability to mine header data and the fact that the email standard specifies a context free language structure, is in the only effective position to flag an email as commercial spam or probable spam. Not doing so effectively, as I and so many others strongly feel, is Verizon shirking its responsibility to its email subscribers.

As I see it, Verizon can't block emails. It can flag emails. It can flag them by attaching a suffix to the subject line or placing them into a designated default folder to be subsequently reviewed by the user. Only the user can establish rules to delete emails or direct them to a different destination. The user, though, is responsible for knowing the consequences of signing onto a mailing list. If a user signs onto a mailing list, it is probable that any email sent from that site looks, in the header, like any other valid email and not like commercial spam. Verizon can not be expected to identify as spam emails that are routinely broadcasted by sites which are emailing to a recipient who has opted to have their address be on the list. Somewhere along the way when installing software, there is usually a check box, often times already checked, asking the user if they want to receive additional emails. Similar care should be taken in allowing some software vendors from automatically downloading and updating their software.

It would be both professional and a courtesy to its email users if Verizon management were to be more upfront about the state of its commercial spam detection methodology. Verizon must do a better job in managing the expectations of its users with regard to how it helps the user manage spam.

0 Likes
SpamHater01
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spent an hour last night on the phoen with a Verizon tech. It was a waste of my time and energy. At the end of the coversation all he could say was "sorry, I can't do anything more to help you" I was told I would just have to change my email address to stop spam. How ridiculous is that? I too have been a loyal Verizon customer for 10 years or more and only started having this spam issue 6 months ago.

I get around 30-40 spam messages per day of which 90 % land in my email box and are not filtered by the Verizon Spam Filter. I've managed to block about 10 per day via the filter (using keywords) but Verizon email only allows you a certiain number of filters, so that's not a good solution. I have done everything I can (and what I've been told to do) to prevent spam from coming in including  setting up the spam filter, blocking addresses, marking as spam and forwarding the spam to the spamdetector.update@verizon.net and spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net but NOTHING helps. I even changed my password (as suggested by the tech).

It's pretty depressing that Verizon says there's nothing they can do to stop it. That being said, I don't beleive it. If other companies can prevent spam then so can Verizon. They just don't care to do so. Shame on you Verizon for ticking off one of your many loyal customers.

0 Likes
stu357
Enthusiast - Level 3

SpamHater01,

I have only the following two filtering rules:

If To does not contain <my email address@verizon.net> move to SpamDetector

and Verizon's SpamDetector is working as I want and expect.. I had removed them to see what would happen and {word filter avoidance} happened. I quickly re-entered them.

Now, I differentiate between commercial spam and emails received from sites for which I signed up to recieve whatever emails. I looked at headers for both and saw a difference. The headrers from of emails from the latter look like regular emails that I would get from friends.

Many of the commercial spammers provide an "unsubscribe" option. I do not select that option. Doing so only completes the loop and lets them know that the email address is active. Those sites for which I signed up for emails but no longer want, I select the "unsubscribe" option. In general, it works.

One problem that I've observed is that many sites from which you download programs including updates have options to have your address added to a mailing list. The option box is pre-checked. You are added to that list unless YOU clear that box.The Verizon SpamDetector does not consider these such emails spam.

I hope that this helps.

Stu

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@SpamHater01 wrote:

I spent an hour last night on the phoen with a Verizon tech. It was a waste of my time and energy. At the end of the coversation all he could say was "sorry, I can't do anything more to help you" I was told I would just have to change my email address to stop spam. How ridiculous is that? I too have been a loyal Verizon customer for 10 years or more and only started having this spam issue 6 months ago.

I get around 30-40 spam messages per day of which 90 % land in my email box and are not filtered by the Verizon Spam Filter. I've managed to block about 10 per day via the filter (using keywords) but Verizon email only allows you a certiain number of filters, so that's not a good solution. I have done everything I can (and what I've been told to do) to prevent spam from coming in including  setting up the spam filter, blocking addresses, marking as spam and forwarding the spam to the spamdetector.update@verizon.net and spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net but NOTHING helps. I even changed my password (as suggested by the tech).

It's pretty depressing that Verizon says there's nothing they can do to stop it. That being said, I don't beleive it. If other companies can prevent spam then so can Verizon. They just don't care to do so. Shame on you Verizon for ticking off one of your many loyal customers.

spamdetector.update@verizon.net is for valid messages that were caught mistakenly by the filter.

spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net is for spam messages that the filter didn't catch.

Sending to the wrong address works against you.

SpamHater01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Stu357,

Thank you! This worked! Interestingly, it has actually increased the amount of spam I'm getting but at least it's going into the spam folder and not directly into my inbox. Since I have other email addresses that  forward to my main email address, I did find that I had to include a couple of other filters so

If To does not contain <my email address1@verizon.net> move to SpamDetector

If To Contains <my email address2@verizon.net> move to InBox

If To Contains <my email address3@verizon.net> move to InBox

This way the emails from the secondary/tertiary addresses go both into  the spam box as well as inbox since there's no way to add a filter with "and" or "or" options ie

If To does not contain <my email address1@verizon.net> or  <my email address2@verizon.net>move to SpamDetector

Thanks again for your advice and for saving my sanity!

SpamHater01

0 Likes