Spam Filter Question
frank14921
Enthusiast - Level 2
Went to Verizon site and checked off a bunch of emails which were spam. Placed in SpamDetector folder. *Does this mean that every time I get an email from any of these addresses it will go in that folder automatically and not show up in my inbox on my Android phone which uses the Verizon emailapp?*
Up to this time although SpamDetector was on, not a single spam email was ever filtered! I thought the detector would pick out some characteristic of the spam and attempt to filter automatically even without knowing a specific email address.
THanks for help.
Frank
0 Likes
Re: Spam Filter Question
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem.  The SPAM detector does filter out SPAM even when I mark emails as SPAM, I get another every other day from another email address.  It's very frustrating.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@frank1492 wrote:
Went to Verizon site and checked off a bunch of emails which were spam. Placed in SpamDetector folder. *Does this mean that every time I get an email from any of these addresses it will go in that folder automatically and not show up in my inbox on my Android phone which uses the Verizon emailapp?*
Up to this time although SpamDetector was on, not a single spam email was ever filtered! I thought the detector would pick out some characteristic of the spam and attempt to filter automatically even without knowing a specific email address.
THanks for help.
Frank

No it doesn't.  Not even sure marking it gets it sent to the third party vendor that supports the filter.  Assuming it does that company uses info in the message to try and develop generic spam detection AND DOES NOT NORMALLY add the sender's userid to a list of spammers.  The reason is that many of these spammers change the userid every single time.

And now Verizon is moving all email to AOL.com (a Verizon company) which has a totally different spam detector.  Exact schedule hasn't been announced but the three states about to be sold to Frontier have already had their email moved.  Both Verizon and AOL do support writing your own rules which can be used to reject spam. AOL's are more flexible as wild cards are supported.

0 Likes
frank14921
Enthusiast - Level 2
What is your approach to Spam control? It all seems so hopeless.
0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looking forward to these capabilities from AOL when I get migrated

https://help.aol.com/articles/using-aol-mail-spam-control-settings-on-the-aol-desktop-software

0 Likes