Spam sent from my Verizon Yahoo! account
JAM6296

I've had Verizon FiOS for a year now, and have had no problems.  With the pending discontinuation of Verizon MSN software, I switched to Verizon Yahoo! software 2 weeks ago.  The same day I installed this software, I started getting complaints from people in my contact lists that they were receiving SPAM from my Yahoo e-mail address.  It's happened at least 6 times in the last 10 days.  I have scanned both my computers for viruses (one with McAfee, one with AVG), and have come up clean.

Anyone else having this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Spam sent from my Verizon Yahoo! account
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well the problem is probably not on your computer or even on the servers. Its likely a spoofing problem. I've had this happen to me before. Somone is sending spam and just "saying" it is comming from your email. Common problem, and there is nothing you can do about it. Even if you close the email, the spam will still show up. Heck, I'm still getting spam from an email address I closed 4 years ago.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

Well the problem is probably not on your computer or even on the servers. Its likely a spoofing problem. I've had this happen to me before. Somone is sending spam and just "saying" it is comming from your email. Common problem, and there is nothing you can do about it. Even if you close the email, the spam will still show up. Heck, I'm still getting spam from an email address I closed 4 years ago.

While this is entirely possible, anytime you get the feeling that someone might be accessing your account the very first thing you should do is re-secure it. Change your password AND secret question/answer to something that is complex and not easy to guess. Better safe than sorry.

0 Likes
slothrop
Enthusiast - Level 1

Change your password.  Although you can't without going through Verizon tech support.  Do you have a yahoo.com or a verizon.net account?  If your Yahoo is linked to verizon, you won't be able to change your Yahoo password unless you delink verizon and yahoo.  There's really no benefit to linking the accounts, verizon just wants to give you another reason not to switch carriers if a better deal comes along.