Switch Account

Sudden change in Verizon SMTP protocol breaks email clients

Sudden change in Verizon SMTP protocol breaks email clients

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 8
(2,088 Views)

On Friday 8/1/2014 between 10:23 am and 3:12pm EST Verizon's SMTP servers changed from sending the following lines:

250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN

to these:

250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN

These two lines are inconsistent and are breaking my MDaemon email client, which now thinks it can authenticate using

CRAM-MD5 encoding.  This encoding doesn't appear to be supported by Verizon, since I get the following error:

500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authentication error).

I've had no luck using telephone support.  Hopefully someone at Verizon will see this and respond.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 2 of 8
(2,083 Views)

MDaemon doesn't have Eudora's ability to disallow CRAM-MD5 encoding, so I'd really like a response from Verizon here...

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 3 of 8
(2,076 Views)

Important Notice: If your MDaemon users authenticate against an Active Directory, you must disable ... honor APOP & CRAM-MD5 under Setup > Default Domain / Servers > Default Domain & Servers > Servers in your MDaemon Server. Otherwise users will not be able to log on to MailStore Server.

looks like the setting will be in that section.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 4 of 8
(2,073 Views)

Nope, that only works with MDaemon's internal SMTP server - it doesn't change the behavior when communicating with the smart host.  I just verified this with Alt-N and submitted a ticket.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 5 of 8
(1,969 Views)

Bumping this for visibility.  Alt-N entered a ticket to update MDaemon to try LOGIN authentication if CRAM-MD5 fails, but the fact remains that as of last Friday Verizon is still advertising an SMTP authentication method that it doesn't support.  I am unable to send mail through Verizon's servers as a result, either until Alt-N gives me a version of MDaemon that retries authentication if CRAM-MD5 fails or until Verizon fixes their broken "upgrade."

Is anyone from Verizon listening?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 6 of 8
(1,952 Views)

Yes!  My Geovision security NVR last outgoing email was at 9:36am EST last Friday Aug 1st.

It now no longer works and Verizon is saying it's a software issues with my system.

I started a thread about this here before I saw this thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Geovision-suddenly-can-t-connect-to-SMTP-server-outgo...

Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Message 7 of 8
(1,831 Views)

Here is another post to say what they did broke both my Outlook and my MDaemon. I tried tech support last night, got the run around and they blamed Outlook. I walked them through my mail server logging and they were like....uh I dunno but the problem is Outlook so I gave up. Pretty lame since they force us to use them to send mail and then break it and then blame the customer.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 8 of 8
(1,614 Views)

I had this problem starting almost exactly the time you cite. It has taken me almost a month to figure out where the failure is. I suppose I shoud spend a few hours on the phone talking to Verizon tech support, since they clearly don't read their own forums. As Godfrey Cambridge observed in The President's Analyst, " I've never been in a country where everyone doesn't hate the phone company"

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.