Sudden change in Verizon SMTP protocol breaks email clients
ridgelift
Enthusiast - Level 1

On Friday 8/1/2014 between 10:23 am and 3:12pm EST Verizon's SMTP servers changed from sending the following lines:

250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN

to these:

250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN

These two lines are inconsistent and are breaking my MDaemon email client, which now thinks it can authenticate using

CRAM-MD5 encoding.  This encoding doesn't appear to be supported by Verizon, since I get the following error:

500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authentication error).

I've had no luck using telephone support.  Hopefully someone at Verizon will see this and respond.

0 Likes
Re: Sudden change in Verizon SMTP protocol breaks email clients
ridgelift
Enthusiast - Level 1

MDaemon doesn't have Eudora's ability to disallow CRAM-MD5 encoding, so I'd really like a response from Verizon here...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Important Notice: If your MDaemon users authenticate against an Active Directory, you must disable ... honor APOP & CRAM-MD5 under Setup > Default Domain / Servers > Default Domain & Servers > Servers in your MDaemon Server. Otherwise users will not be able to log on to MailStore Server.

looks like the setting will be in that section.

0 Likes
ridgelift
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nope, that only works with MDaemon's internal SMTP server - it doesn't change the behavior when communicating with the smart host.  I just verified this with Alt-N and submitted a ticket.

0 Likes
ridgelift
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bumping this for visibility.  Alt-N entered a ticket to update MDaemon to try LOGIN authentication if CRAM-MD5 fails, but the fact remains that as of last Friday Verizon is still advertising an SMTP authentication method that it doesn't support.  I am unable to send mail through Verizon's servers as a result, either until Alt-N gives me a version of MDaemon that retries authentication if CRAM-MD5 fails or until Verizon fixes their broken "upgrade."

Is anyone from Verizon listening?

0 Likes
jjcutwdr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes!  My Geovision security NVR last outgoing email was at 9:36am EST last Friday Aug 1st.

It now no longer works and Verizon is saying it's a software issues with my system.

I started a thread about this here before I saw this thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Geovision-suddenly-can-t-connect-to-SMTP-server-outgo...

0 Likes
hattrik21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is another post to say what they did broke both my Outlook and my MDaemon. I tried tech support last night, got the run around and they blamed Outlook. I walked them through my mail server logging and they were like....uh I dunno but the problem is Outlook so I gave up. Pretty lame since they force us to use them to send mail and then break it and then blame the customer.

0 Likes
jemandel

I had this problem starting almost exactly the time you cite. It has taken me almost a month to figure out where the failure is. I suppose I shoud spend a few hours on the phone talking to Verizon tech support, since they clearly don't read their own forums. As Godfrey Cambridge observed in The President's Analyst, " I've never been in a country where everyone doesn't hate the phone company"

0 Likes