Sudden duplicate emails when all was well before.
Toobusy
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the past week, I am now getting duplicate incoming emails (2 copies of the same email).  They are random, meaning not every time, but enough to be bothersome.  They come from all ISP's...there's not just one doing this. 

Before that, everything was fine.  I have changed NO settings.  

I have contacted Verizon via chat twice and they took over my computer, checked my settings and said everything was set up correclty. They removed my password and had me type it in again then BOTH assured me it would stop.  It has not.   Today it's much worse as most incoming emails are duplicated.

Why is this happening when I have changed nothing about my computer or software setup?

I have Windows Vista  Premium Home Ediction and Windows Live Mail.   

Lynn

Re: Sudden duplicate emails when all was well before.
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The file that tells your email program what it has downloaded and what it hasn't is stored on your computer, not server-side. It may have become corrupted. You will need to talk to support for your client, which in this case sounds like Microsoft.

avvett4us
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like the user above this happened to me all of a sudden with no other problems. I think that your suggestion is not necessarily  true.  Somehow, the email server has to know that the message was downloaded the first time.  When I use Verizon Webmail and just look at a message it immediately marks it read.  Please look into a real solution for this problem.  It happens to far too many people to be a simple software corruption.  Let's get a fix or at least a level 3 engineer to look at the problem. 

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@avvett4us wrote:

Like the user above this happened to me all of a sudden with no other problems. I think that your suggestion is not necessarily  true.  Somehow, the email server has to know that the message was downloaded the first time.  When I use Verizon Webmail and just look at a message it immediately marks it read.  Please look into a real solution for this problem.  It happens to far too many people to be a simple software corruption.  Let's get a fix or at least a level 3 engineer to look at the problem. 

Thanks,

Steve

In webmail, yes, but pop3 clients are not webmail. If you are getting duplicates in webmail, that's a different issue entirely.

And if you want *anyone* at Verizon to look at your issue, you'll need to actually contact them. This is a peer-to-peer support forum.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Duplicate Emails - Microsoft outlook issues, and problems

Duplicate Emails

If you are getting duplicate emails on your computer in your Outlook Express, it could be that there is a corrupt email message in your inbox on the mail server. To delete the corupt email, simply:

1. Login to your mail server 
    http://mail.comentum.com/mail/ 
    - Enter your user name (your email address) 
    - Enter your password
  2. Delete the corrupt/damaged message that is creating the duplicates 
    (You may want to delete all messages on the server, after you have downloaded them to your Outlook.)

Possible Causes of Duplicate Emails on Outlook Express

Problem: The "Leave Messages on the Server" box has been checked on your Outlook Express account settings. 
Fix: Uncheck the "Leave Messages on the Server" box. To do this, click on Tools>Accounts. You will see a box open (named Internet Accounts), click "Mail" tab, click on the mail account, click on Properties>Advanced. Remove the check in the box "Leave a copy of messages on server."

(The following information is from Microsoft Help and Support) 
Problem: Outlook Downloads Messages from a POP3 Server Twice Outlook downloads messages from a Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) server again after it empties the Deleted Items folder even if you have both the Leave a copy of messages on the server and the Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items options enabled on the POP3 account. 
Fix: There is not an available workaround for this problem. . . Simply delete the duplicate messages.

Also from support.microsoft.com  (outlook 2003)

there is an individual answer for each specific pop 3 client.  so it's important to know what email client you are using, simply put into a google search "duplicate emails (insert name of your email program)

here's a great how-to article about it

It’s probably one of the most annoying things; receiving the same e-mail multiple times. Actually I’m not talking about a single e-mail but basically all your e-mails and not just twice bot LOTS of times. This article discusses the most common configurations which lead to e-mail duplication and how to prevent them from happening again.

creg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I fixed my duplicate email problem by doing the following in Outlook: TOOLS > OPTIONS > MAIL SETUP TAB > EMAIL ACCOUNTS > View or Change existing e-mail accounts > NEXT > CHANGE > MORE SETTINGS > ADVANCED TAB > Under DELIVERY , UNCHECK the three checkboxes (Leave a copy of messages on the server, Remove from server after x days, remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'. CLICK OK. Funny thing, after unchecking the three checkboxes, I rechecked them again and I did not get any more duplicate emails.

0 Likes
Clare

I had the same problem and SOLVED it! (finally)

In INBOX of Google Mail go to settings - bottom right [...]

folder, settings & add email account comes up

click on SETTINGS

UNCHECK "In conversations, show replies and email from all your synced folders

click on the check button on the bottom

and VOILA!

0 Likes