The switch to aol
Harro1

Verizon sold its e-mail system to aol.com. No matter how I tried (and I am reasonably computer-savvy for my 85 years, I was not able to place a shortcut to "mail.aol.com". Help - how can I do this?

John

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: The switch to aol
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please provide more information so someone can help you.
DO NOT INCLUDE PRIVATE ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Software ?
PC Operating System
Browser

0 Likes
Harro1

The operating system is Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 8500, running Google Chrome browser. (I also have IE 11 on my machine, but whenever I try to use it, it crashes - so to the heck with it.)

0 Likes
Harro1

The operating system is Windows 7, browser is Google Chrome.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once you have signed in to your AOL acct.

On the Far right of Google Chrome click on the 3 dots and then click on Bookmarks.

i don't run Windows 7 but see if you can Search for Desktop icon Settings Settings

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to let all of us know how YOU solved it and click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

0 Likes
Harro1

Yes I can make it a "bookmark," but it is a slow and painful solution compared to an icon on the desktop. Over the many years I have been using computers I accumulated too many bookmarks, so "bookmarking" it is not really helpful. I also have an other e-mail address (@twc.com), there was no problem in placing a shortcut on the desktop. And while the mail was handled by Verizon, the desktop icon worked. Of course trying to contact AOL for a solution is like trying to contact the president of a very large corporation - at their size, they don't really care about an individual consumer. Case in point: I tried to contact my NYC Councilwoman, got a response when I threatened to start a campaign to unseat her at the next election. Anyway, thank you so much for trying to help me. Obviously, you are not a congressman, they (like my councilwoman) care only about reelection and fund-raising. So, THANK YOU!

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm running Windows 10 Pro and Google Chrome

This is what I just did

Signed in to AOL email

Right clicked on the AOL tab

Pinned it.

Closed down all windows

Called up Google Chrome

AOL mail was now a tab in Google Chrome

0 Likes
Harro1

In the words of the people of Brooklyn in New York City, "Fuhgeddabawdit." It is not worth the effort. I can always type in the search bar "mail.aol.com" and get to my @verizon.net mail. It is almost like going back to MS-DOS days, if you are of a certain age to remember them. Anyway, thank you very much for your kind efforts.

Best,

Harro1

0 Likes
Harro1

That was the first thing I tried, it seems it doesn't work in Windows 7.

(IMHO the constant changing of operating systems is simply an excuse for Microsoft - or Apple - to generate income. I did not see any great improvement when Windows 7 replaced XP. Yes if you like touch screens Windows 10 may be the apple of your eyes - I am 85 years old and am getting tired every few years learning the quirks of an "improved" operating system. And it is not only the IT people - it seems suddenly the world forgot the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Best,

Harro1

0 Likes