Thunderbird error messages, AOL Alternative
MsSusan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've have tried to setup Thunderbird a few times and always get this error msg:

"Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [AUTH] Authentication failed"

I am following directions from Verizon setup info but can never get connected.

I had read about password issues in the past (can't accept long passwords, special characters??) Entering Username myemail without @verizon.net. 

I need alternative to Yahoo, AOL migration so help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbird error messages, AOL Alternative
MsSusan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was able to correct the UserName?/Password? error message in Thunderbird by changing account settings but I am now getting "The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server incoming.yahoo.verizon.net responded: " after being able to retrieve about 300 messages.

I have seen comments that the issue may be with "bad" e-mails or attachments but so far I haven't been able to figure out which message could be causing the error.

I have also seen comments that this error can be intermitent but this error has been occuring for the last few days.

I'm trying to get all my messages downloaded before the AOL migration in case of problems. Anyone else having this issue?

0 Likes
rpfix
Enthusiast - Level 2

MsSusan--

Very few people at this forum know anything about Thunderbird. I'm getting help at the Thunderbird support forum at www.forums.mozillazine.org. Register there, go to Index>Thunderbird Support, start a new thread and post your question.

0 Likes
MsSusan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using the Thunderbird forum suggested but nothing has solved the RETR issue yet.

Deleting e-mails that are possibly corrupt and changing settings have not helped.

0 Likes
Re: initiate migration to AOL Mail? Thunderbird Settings
MsSusan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can anyone verify what settings they are using for Thunderbird to retrieve Verizon Yahoo e-mail?

I keep getting the error msg. "The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server incoming.yahoo.verizon.net responded: Server error - Please try again later." I was able to download quite a few messages but now cannot get past this error.

I have tried deleting many msg. in Verizon Yahoo e-mail, recreating Thunderbird accounts, changing settings and nothing works. I have also posted this issue at Mozilla forum with hopes of resolving before migration to AOL.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure what the OP error is.  I have used Thunderbird for many years, and have used it with my migrated to AOL verizon id for more than a year.

Suggest OP read on the Thunderbird (Mozilla) site on how to turn on logs to get more detail.  e.g. one att user found it was failing on a SPAM message another on size of message.

0 Likes
Re: initiate migration to AOL Mail? Thunderbird Settings
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Absolutely the same settings can be used once you move to AOL.  If you change your password then you must update that.

0 Likes
MsSusan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was hoping to confirm what Accout Settings Verizon Yahoo e-mail users have been using to get their e-mail with Thunderbird.

I have used ones suggested on the Verizon site and none seem to work consistently for me.

I have cleared out SPAM before every Thunderbird login so that's not the issue. 

The http://forums.mozillazine.org forum so far hasn't been helpful.

0 Likes