Community Leader
Community Leader

BOTH COMPUTERS  WORKING WITH THE LISTED MAIL SERVER SETTINGS

WHY THE DIFFERENCE ?

Outlook
 Port NumberDell Latitude E6500 iPad 2
incoming POP3995pop.verizon.net incoming.verizon.net
outgoing SMTP465smtp.verizon.net outgoing.verizon.net

WOULD APPRECIATE A "TECHIE" REASON FOR WHY I SHOULD "ATTEMPT" TO CHANGE THE Dell NAMES.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VERIZON Mail Server Settings
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey TNS_2:

Thanks for your feedback.

Here is what I Found and did.

Outlook email user NEEDS HELP with verizon.net account THIS INFO FROM APLE USERS fORUM

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15426063#15426063

Jun 16, 2011 8:13 PM (in response to Queenbee14)

Verizon.net is POP mail. The easiest thing to do is to simply set the iPad up to pull from Verizon (just add a POP mail account on the iPad). The iPad won't delete messages from the server (unless you go to the advanced mail settings and turn it on). It will show the number of messages that you set in the Mail settings (the default is 50 per account).

You are not going to see the Outlook folders because they are specific to Outlook. iOS will support folders as they appear on the server (IMAP or Exchange), but Verizon only offers POP3 (as far as I know) and that doesn't support folders.

THIS IS WHAT I DID  5-04-2013

Created new Email Account on iPad

Verizon Mail

Incoming Mail Server    pop.verizon.net    Port 995    SSL  On    S/MIME    Off

Outgoing Mail Server    smtp.verizon.net  

DEACTIVATED other Verizon Mail Account

Incoming Mail Server    incoming.verizon.net    Port 995

Outgoing Mail Server    outgoing.verizon.net

Shut Down iPad

Turned it On

Got ALL my Verizon.net Email which I had not deleted from the Verizon Server

Recommend to anyone else to “clean” up your verizon.net email at the server BEFORE STARTING UP THIS NEW iPAD email Account.

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@TomH309 wrote:

BOTH COMPUTERS  WORKING WITH THE LISTED MAIL SERVER SETTINGS

WHY THE DIFFERENCE ?

Outlook
 Port NumberDell Latitude E6500 iPad 2
incoming POP3995pop.verizon.net incoming.verizon.net
outgoing SMTP465smtp.verizon.net outgoing.verizon.net

WOULD APPRECIATE A "TECHIE" REASON FOR WHY I SHOULD "ATTEMPT" TO CHANGE THE Dell NAMES.

I won't try to qualify "techie" other than to note that the VZ server changes are related to tighter security requirements.  For details, you should research terms like SSL, TLS, secure and unsecure ports, etc.  I'm sure of course that these terms are already familiar to you, but you did ask.

For an explanation of why these changes are indeed required, start here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Problems-with-Outlook-and-sending-email/m-p/563643#M1...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/email-settings/m-p/546475#M11321

IOW, both configurations will work during the changeover.  After the changes become fully in effect, the old settings will not work.

Change now or change later: your choice.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for your prompt and thorough reply.

Will work on switching the Dell settings.

73's for now,

0 Likes
lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

armond,

4 yrs ago they changed the port 25 settings and to this day port 25 still works. the funny thing about port 25 is verizon claims it's a known spamming port yet verizon is still using it.**bleep** secuirty reasons ffs

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TomH309 wrote:

Thanks for your prompt and thorough reply.

Will work on switching the Dell settings.

73's for now,

On your table the DELL has the recommended values.  Your IPAD is the one you should work on.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey TNS_2:

Just tried what you suggested.

This is a summary of my results.

Outlook Mail Server Settings for iPad 2

Incoming POP 3.  995.  incoming.verizon.net.      (pop.verizon.net    does not work)

Outgoing. SMTP.  465.  outgoing.verizon.net.     (smtp.verizon.net  does not work)

Sent from our IPad

To my Dell

GUESS I'M STICKING WITH WHAT WORKS FOR ME AS OF RIGHT NOW. 

Outlook

Port Number

Dell Latitude E6500

iPad 2

incoming POP3

pop.verizon.net

incoming.verizon.net

outgoing SMTP

smtp.verizon.net

outgoing.verizon.net

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TomH309 wrote:

Hey TNS_2:

Just tried what you suggested.

This is a summary of my results.

Outlook Mail Server Settings for iPad 2

Incoming POP 3.  995.  incoming.verizon.net.      (pop.verizon.net    does not work)

Outgoing. SMTP.  465.  outgoing.verizon.net.     (smtp.verizon.net  does not work)

Sent from our IPad

To my Dell

GUESS I'M STICKING WITH WHAT WORKS FOR ME AS OF RIGHT NOW. 

Outlook

Port Number

Dell Latitude E6500

iPad 2

incoming POP3

pop.verizon.net

incoming.verizon.net

outgoing SMTP

smtp.verizon.net

outgoing.verizon.net

Read some of the suggestions for Apple users about getting this to work.  I don't currently have an IPAD but my brother does and had no problem getting it to work with Verizon.  One of things often mentioned is a reboot after making all the necessary changes. 

You probably have months or even a year before they shutdown the Incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net, but they will eventually do so, so that they can redeploy the servers currently supporting them.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey TNS_2:

Thanks for your feedback.

Here is what I Found and did.

Outlook email user NEEDS HELP with verizon.net account THIS INFO FROM APLE USERS fORUM

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15426063#15426063

Jun 16, 2011 8:13 PM (in response to Queenbee14)

Verizon.net is POP mail. The easiest thing to do is to simply set the iPad up to pull from Verizon (just add a POP mail account on the iPad). The iPad won't delete messages from the server (unless you go to the advanced mail settings and turn it on). It will show the number of messages that you set in the Mail settings (the default is 50 per account).

You are not going to see the Outlook folders because they are specific to Outlook. iOS will support folders as they appear on the server (IMAP or Exchange), but Verizon only offers POP3 (as far as I know) and that doesn't support folders.

THIS IS WHAT I DID  5-04-2013

Created new Email Account on iPad

Verizon Mail

Incoming Mail Server    pop.verizon.net    Port 995    SSL  On    S/MIME    Off

Outgoing Mail Server    smtp.verizon.net  

DEACTIVATED other Verizon Mail Account

Incoming Mail Server    incoming.verizon.net    Port 995

Outgoing Mail Server    outgoing.verizon.net

Shut Down iPad

Turned it On

Got ALL my Verizon.net Email which I had not deleted from the Verizon Server

Recommend to anyone else to “clean” up your verizon.net email at the server BEFORE STARTING UP THIS NEW iPAD email Account.

prperson

FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN NOT FIND THE COMMUNICATION THAT WENT OUT ADVISING PEOPLE TO CHANGE THEIR SETTINGS WHO USE VERIZON EMAIL.

A COLLEAGUE SENT ME IT AND NOWHERE ON THE VERIZON SITE CAN I FIND IT.  i HAVE DIAL THE MINIMUM SERVICE JUST SO I CAN CONTINUE TO USE MY VERIZON EMAIL ADDRESS BUT I DO NOT USE VERIZON INTERNET, IT GETS ROUTED TO TWC INTERNET.

I'M WONDERING WHY I CAN NOT FIND WHAT THE NEW SETTINS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE???  THEREFORE IN MY BUSY DAY AS A SELF-EMPLOYED PROFESSIONAL I AM SITTING ON HOLD FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES AND SEARCHING LIKE MAD TO FIND THIS. i CAN NOT FIND THE ORIGINAL EMALI SENT BY MY COLLEAGUE.

0 Likes
ProllyNotHappy
Prolly because they spend all their resources trying to figure out more ways to jam advertising onto every freaking square inch of screen real estate rather than building a good user experience.

Have YOU upgraded to FiOS QUANTUM yet? Why the hell not?! Add a service, enhance a service, extend a service? That's EASY... new email settings? Good luck!
0 Likes