Re: Verizon Classic Webmail Migration to Verizon Message Center
Justin46
Legend

@Lorena_VZ wrote:

Dear Justin,

We are working to offer Plain Text. Please expect to see it come out this summer. Thank you for your patience.

Lorena,

Thanks much for the update. Very good news!!!!!

Keller, TX 76248

eqqmc2
This migration to new email webservers has certainly not been a smooth and well thought out transition. I worked on the original ADSL verizon back end systems when there were deployed in 99 and 2000. It seems to me, that just like 10 years ago the initial deployment strategy was a disaster and needed quite bit to tweaking before it became smooth and efficient workflow operation from provisioning to billing. I know that under regulatory constrains since this migration lays under the data side instead of the heavyly regulated voice side of the equation (DLEC vs ILEC) that verizon is not mandated to provide the same customer safeguards and forcing customers to switch to a new system without an opt out option was allowed. From a business perspective and implementation plan view it shows a rather poorly constructed strategy. Email service has become a commodity and since it is used by such a large percentage of customers any migration must be conducted under controlled and high quality testing conditions prior to going to a live enviroment. Verizon and other large ISP providers still have a myriad of consumers using a wide range of OS and webbrowsers for various reasons and obviously backward compatibility must be part of your test cases. We all saw what happened to the microsoft Vista experiment and how they basically had to change with Windows 7 to allow for that backwards compatiblity as many business partners both large and small refuse to adopt that OS for their enterprise operations. Whoever is involved with dealing with the customer side must have access to escalating this issue to upper management VP or C level executive as is affecting both the public image and well as the bottom line on the company. Asking your customers to migrate to a system that assumes you have windows 7 and say internet explorer 8 or above and without proper notification is a MISTAKE from a business as well as a revenue perspective. By looking at my system I see that the iexplorer process becomes a CPU hug as the process is overiding the scheduling of the thread/process priority and thus slowing down the system. Whatever back end system is used either windows asp or java or ajax is really not well optimized to run on older OS and internet browsers. Please have your VP of operations and maybe someone higher look into the ability to bring back the older interface for now until the kinks are worked out. I have several reasons not to upgrade my systems and certainly my isp web server requirements will not force me to upgrade my systems.
0 Likes
doradee849
Enthusiast - Level 1

First, you  no longer have the 'Notes' field in the contacts tab.  I have important notes about my contacts which I can no longer see and I can 't add/edit any new Notes for Contacts.  it is very important that I have a way to see the old notes which I had this field on the prior version.

Second, I was told to come to this forum to enter my issue, but to sign into this forum, I had to create a forum/screen name and it kept saying any name I entered was already in existence and I finally just clicked on the terms and it processed, but you need to fix it so people don't think that they can't create a unique forum/screen name and give up out of frustration.  thanks.

doncordes
Enthusiast - Level 2

As has already been said in previous posts, this "migration/conversion" from Classic Webmail to the Message Center has not been well planned out.  I need to ask a question... When you asked us to try the new interface or stay with the old one, many of us looked at the tour/demo of the new Email and decided to just stay with the old one because we either didn't like, didn't need, or just didn't want the new features.  At that time you had an implementation/migration plan that would schedule forced conversion from the Classic Webmail to the Message Center.  Question:  WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US of the forced conversion schedule then instead of waiting until now ?????  I'm trying to be constructive here but the complete lack of consideration or understanding from Verizon for the user conversion requirements is making that very very difficult.

JohnB_PA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Today I tried to check my email via the web interface and before the email messages are displayed, I am prompted to switch to the new Message Center. There is only one button on the display "Yes I want to go to Message Center to check email" and a note that "....once I choose to switch I will not be able to return to the existing Message Center". I need to be able to reply to emails in text only format so I closed the web page.

Given the issue with the new Message Center of not being able to sent text only emails, why are users being forced to switch to the new Message Center?

How can I opt out when only an "Accept" button is displayed?

John

MarkTeseniar

I literaly Hate this new Verizon Message Center. I have wasted hours of my precious time time attempting to get around YOUR problems with this system. I cannot send outgoing e-mails to my contacts list because they are marked as spam. Even when I enter the letter / number combinations correctly. This is a very BIG problem. If this is not fixed immediately I will cancel service and go with another provider. I have been a Verizon consumer for years but cannot tolerate this invasion. With all of the problems people are having with this why can we not revert back to the previous version until YOU work the bugs out.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

I find ioit most annoying that I now have to either opt-in or perpetually select calssic (each time I try to log in).  I checkmy email frequently from work (can't do POP through company servers) and it its a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT now.

Please give us the option to just opt-out of the Message Center and stay wityh what has worked for years.  As an engineer my number one credo is "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

EDIT: Just noticed that if I don't change to Message Center in 15 days you will do it for me.  UNACCEPTABLE Smiley Mad

And please drop the "FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE" line regarding your making the change for me. It's not and anything done without my approval will ever be convenient.  That's just as good as removing TV channels from a tieri and saying it is for an enhanced viewing experience. 

Verizon certainly has its share of spinmeisters.

0 Likes
bfrederi1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Add me to the list of people who need plain text mode.

You can also add me to the list of generally disgruntled customers who do not like the new message center nor the way it was rolled out and forced upon customers who chose to opt out of it, but I guess that doesn't qualify as a "constructive" comment.

Here is as constructive as I can get. This is a quote from Verizon:

"Once you have been migrated to Message Center, the Classic View link will be removed. We believe that you will ultimately be much happier with Verizon Message Center."

Constructively speaking, the second sentence is extremely inaccurate.

bejay53
Enthusiast - Level 3

Add me to the list. I do not appreciate waking up to find this change.

Most of the functionality I had is missing, or not easily found. I do not need another calendar tool.

And what high school did the web designer come from? It has got to be the most poorly laid out screen I've ever used. It looks like an amateur designed it. The font is poor and the layout is so small. How do we get rid of the ad bar on the right side? This takes up so much space. I do not want to close it every time I go to see my mail.

Conversations?, why not call it e-mail?

Not all change is for the better...if it ain't broke...

Justin46
Legend

@Bejay wrote:

Add me to the list. I do not appreciate waking up to find this change.

Most of the functionality I had is missing, or not easily found. I do not need another calendar tool.

And what high school did the web designer come from? It has got to be the most poorly laid out screen I've ever used. It looks like an amateur designed it. The font is poor and the layout is so small. How do we get rid of the ad bar on the right side? This takes up so much space. I do not want to close it every time I go to see my mail.

Conversations?, why not call it e-mail?

Not all change is for the better...if it ain't broke...

OK, you don't like it. But from what I understand, Verizon is not going back. So you have some choices:

1) Accept it, adapt, and use it

2) Continue using Verizon email services but switch to another webmail client. Apparently lots of folks like Gmail, you might look at that.

3) Change to another email provider and use their webmail interface.

4) Use a PC-based email client instead of webmail. I use Windows Live Mail, I like it, others don't. But there are plenty of clients out there, Thunderbird seems popular.

5) There may be other options, maybe someone else will suggest one.

Now, your complaints. Other than the ad on the right side and font size you were not very specific.

1) What browser are you using? If Firefox or Google Chrome, you can install Adblock Plus (free) and use it to block ads (and lots of other useless stuff) on lots of web pages, including Verizon'w webmail page. I do that, had completely forgotten the ads were even there until I unblocked them to see what you were complaining about. There are some ad blockers for IE too I think, I don't have any experience with them, but you can certainly look around.

2) Have you tried setting the font size under Settings? If not, do so, maybe that will help. And assuming you are using Windows, you should be able to increase/decrease the font size in the display using the combination of the Ctrl key and the + key to increase, Ctrl and - key to decrease. In Firefox I have an add-on (QuickPageZoom) that puts a + and - icon on the Status bar, lets me easily increase/decrease the displayed size of any page any time I want - and most of the time it remembers what setting I used so I don't have to redo it all the time.

3) Conversations? Yeah, I agree, rather a stupid choice, but it is what it is, and once you figure out what it means, what difference does it make?

4) Calendar? If you don't need it, don't use it. Seems simple to me....

5) Screen layout? Looks very similar to pretty much every webmail client I have ever looked at. I guess I don't understand this comment, care to be more?

Last but not least, what else don't you like, or you think is missing? Maybe it is there and you just haven't found it yet and someone here can help. If there are specifics that you feel need to be added or changed, I encourage you to visit the Idea Exchange here and tell Verizon what you would like to see fixed and added. Can't hurt, might help.

Keller, TX 76248