Verizon DSL Non-verizon.net Email (MS Outlook 2003) Account Settings
Arbyem

Hello: I am a Snowbird , renting a unit in St Petersburg, FL with a Verizon telephone and DSL account.  I have used Verizon DSL service, also from rented units, twice in the past three years.  On both occassions, I have successfully setup my Non-Verizon Email account (MS Outlook 2003 with Cogeco.ca - in Kingston, Ontario, Canada), after some assistance from Versizon customer suppport staff (but without the "expert tech support" fee).  However, this time I have obviously erred in changing one or more of the Outlook Email account settings as I modified the outgoing SMPT server to "outgoing.verizon.net" (from "smpt.cogeco.ca", my Canadian home setting.  The Incoming POP server remains at pop.cogeco.ca.  I am not prepared to open yet another email account, this time with verizon.net.  Neither do I consider that I ough to have to pay the Expert tech support" fee to resolve my problem.  Has anyone encountered a similar challenge, and resolved it successfully?  I would be most grateful for any guidance and assistance in resolving this vexing issue.    BTW, if one can arrange to submit an attachment, or to send a document via email, I have a chronology of my trials with attempting to resolve the challenge by myself, and with Verizon Customer Support (who claim that, because I do not have a Verizon-based email account, they are not responsible to resolve the problem).  Appreciatively, with thanks, in advance, to anyone who offers to help out. Bruce

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL Non-verizon.net Email (MS Outlook 2003) Account Settings
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Leave the outgoing mail server set to you home provider ... however note that you need to call them and find out what "alternate port" for SMTP outbound mail they support since Verizon blocks outbound port 25 traffic to cut down on SPAMbot traffic from infected machines.    Typically this port will be port 587 instead of port 25.

0 Likes
Arbyem

Hi lasagna: Thanks for the suggestion, which I have implemented.  I also disabled my Zone Alarm Extreme Security program, in case this was part of the problem.  Regrettably, the "Test Account Setings" process failed: The outgoing server could be contacted, but the server would not respond.  Any other suggestions? Appreciatively, Bruce

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

From what I can find online, it looks like either smtp.cogeco.ca or smtp.cgocable.ca is the correct SMTP server for that service, based on your location. I am unable to find information on what port numbers they use, so I'm assuming that it's port 25, which may or may not be your problem. (Verizon has stopped allowing 3rd party SMTP access on port 25, more info here.)

Knowing what your current settings are might help, but I confess I have no experience with this particular domain. You might try contacting cogeco.ca support for help.

0 Likes