Re: Verizon SMTP Process Change
user1234561
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is anyone paying attention?  This is a HUGE issue.  I only use Verizon Fios because I've been able to use my own e-mail for the past 10 years.  Please fix this immediately!  I need to be able to send from my e-mail address, not verizons! 

0 Likes
jalexander2

This is beyond stupid.  I'm helping my 91 year old mother, who suddenly can't send any e-mail from the account she's been using for 10 years.  I'm remoted into her computer, and wasn't aware of this change - so I just wasted 45 minutes trying to "fix" this.

I'm going to strongly suggest she find another provider.  I will also mention this to my many customers (I'm a tech) and suggest they, too, switch.  This is NOT going to make anything "safer" or "efficient".  Having your own e-mail is about as basic in this day and age as you can get, and being able to send through any server, once you've put in the correct information, is vital.

Goodbye, Verizon.  At our own house, we were thinking of switching back to FIOS once our Cablevision contract runs out.  Absolutely no way we're going to do that now. 

0 Likes
ThiaB
Moderator Emeritus

Hi jalexander2,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
jalexander2

To heck with your company.  I've already set up my mother to go through another server. 

For anyone else who needs this information, you can use Google's public server.  Here are the instructions:
https://www.wpsitecare.com/gmail-smtp-settings/

As soon as possible, I will get my mother switched over to a company that has a basic understanding of customer service, security (I'm also an IT security pro), and isn't more interested in CYA than their customers welfare. 

0 Likes
user1234561
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm glad using Gmail was an option for you but, for most of us, running our  mail through Google's SMTP defeats the purpose of even having your own mail.  We don't want our information data mined by Google. 

It really seems like Verizon doesn't care one bit about its customers.  This was a ridiculous move on their part and demonstrates questionable morals/ethics.  They've completely ripped me off as a customer.

Fix this.

0 Likes
user1234561
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is stil broken.  We need this functionality returned in order for our e-mail to work!

0 Likes
user1234561
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wake up Verizon!  This needs to be fixed ASAP!  Return our ability to send emails!

0 Likes
k_kretz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just reading this and am stunned.  Your authenticated SMTP was already really bad and didn't support standards but if you told me you were going to make it *worse* somehow I wouldn't have believed you.

Stopping outbound e-mail other than to Verizon relays is good for preventing outbound spam, but then Verizon - AS AN ISP - has a responsibility to allow for people to send mail out.   Who uses their @verizon address for anything?  Please.

I generally like my FiOS but this is so stupid.

0 Likes
emrecio
Enthusiast - Level 1

They're getting rid of their Verizon.net email service anyways, so it's a moot point. What I did instead, I have user@example.com as my personal email address, is to create a gmail account, and add user@example.com as an "alternate" email. Google asked for the username/password for my example.com email server. As soon as I confirmed it, I could use smtp.gmail.com authorize with my primary gmail account, but leave my FROM as user@example.com in my client. Works like a charm! 

Check out the following links

How to configure google to use your own FROM and use them as SMTP server (required step, even if you don't have your own email server, but use your client (outlook, thunderbird) to send email as user@example.com): https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en

If you have your own email server (you must complete step one above too): https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/configure-postfix-to-use-gmail-as-a-mail-relay

0 Likes
user1234561
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is still broken...  I'm definitely finding another ISP when my contract is up.  This is ridiculous.  My family and I have not been able to send a single email for the last 10 months.  Why even bother with this company anymore.  Their customer service is the worst.

0 Likes