Verizon SPAM Filtering my Outgoing email - This is unbelievable!
DataArt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I pay verizon to provide access to internet access and an email address. I do not want nor did I ask for any spam filtering to be performed. HOW DARE YOU!!!!! If you spam filter my incoming .. .where are MY controls ... NOT yours!

Where do I see a listing of those emails that were filtered? You are obviously filtering my outgoing? What give you the right to do so?

I'm a sending 100's or thousands of emails a day ... NO!!!!

I sent 2 emails all day and you choose to filter them while I'm growing more and more **bleep** at the person I sent it to for not responding.

This can't be legal ... it is censorship .... I have been a loyal Verizon user since FIOS became available. I have internet, home phones, cells and TV service totaling over $400/month.

I am not going to looking into switching to AT&T and Cablevision.

I don't care if my contract is up or not ... go ahead and sue me .... I'll see you in court.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!

Robot Mad

Re: Verizon SPAM Filtering my Outgoing email - This is unbelievable!
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If Verizon's outbound spam filter catches your outgoing message, you receive an immediate notification. You get an error message if you are using webmail or a bounceback if you are using a mail client. There is no mystery as to whether it was stopped or not.

You can find more information about how and why Verizon implements their outbound spam filtering at their Spam FAQ page, which is listed in the error you get if your message is actually blocked: http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq

If it is inbound spam filtering you are concerned with, you have the ability to turn it off on the My Account Tools page, or you can change it to save to the Spam Detector folder instead of deleting via the Mail settings section in your mailbox.

Also, this is a peer-to-peer forum. If you want to threaten/complain to Verizon, you need to do so directly. There are options on Verizon's Contact Us page.

DataArt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use Entourage on a MAC ... there was an unnoticed tiny yellow indicator on the bottom of the page ... no bounce back or anything else that couldnt be missed ... when scrolling down to look at my Junk mail ... I noticed a message sitting in my outbox. I had to open the error log by clicking

The bigger question is why is Verizon filtering outgoing mail. That is censorship. I should not have to explain my email usage to anyone. SPAM email is sent by the thousands. If I was sending massive amounts of emails I would expect an issue. Not from my one email that was being sent.

This is BIG BROTHER being ridiculous.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

As stated in the Spam FAQ page:

Why does Verizon scan E-mail messages I send?

Verizon Online has a zero-tolerance policy for spamming from the Verizon.net domain and is working to reduce unsolicited email messages and improve the overal customer e-mail experience.

Scanning is the process of comparing an email message to a known spam signature using a combination of proprietary anti-spam techniques and spam complaints sent from users across the Internet. Verizon will not read your email; we only compare the digital signature (not the email content) of a sent email against the digital signatures of known spam. Emails that match a spam signature will not be delivered.

Scanning outbound email is an accepted industry practice and is an effective method for reducing overall spam on the Internet and for our customers. It also benefits you by reducing the likelihood that an email message you send will be blocked by the receiving service provider.

So there's Verizon's reasoning for the outbound spam filtering. They do have a right and a responsibility to protect their domain's reputation. (Though their methods leave something to be desired.)

0 Likes
DataArt
Enthusiast - Level 2

That entire explanation is hog wash. It's just an excuse for Big Brother to d othings it shouldn't be doing.

I say ... a YES to ensuring that someone can't send an email to hundreds or thousands of users or othe rbulk email.

But you can't explain how someone sending an email from a FIOS IP address which is an account that shows my name as the "client"  that matches the same clients email address can be spam.

That would mean that someone using my PC (my mac address) on my FIOS router (my ip address) located inside my house (physically secure) wireless set to not broadcast an SSID, encypted and password protected) logged onto my Verizion email account with my password and sent a single email to a single user and have it be flagged as spam.

It it absolutey CRAZY that, that can happen.

They can detect IP address spoofing... Why aren't their systems checking that a valid IP address with a valid user signed on, sent a properly formatted message ... What gives??? 

I sent that email to their 3rd party ... Do you know what there answer was??? Well neither do I ... I've never heard from them.

It's just a load of crap ... I get so much {word filter avoidance} inbound spam filling up my junk email bin ...  Why isn't Vz focused on that.

I've been doing IT for over 25 years ...

POLICY BE {word filter avoidance}... It is just plain {word filter avoidance} ... I love the fact that they wrote a policy and you can't discuss with a human... ... just send an email to a 3rd party and wait your whole life for a reply .... SHAME on VZ ....

It's too darned bad ... I love their cell service and their TV service ... they even have a fast, reliable internet service.

In fact this is my only complaint with their service ... But this is a biggy they have WRONG and they should fix it.

tadfurtado
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Somegirl, I appreciate your tying to put a good spin on this and I would have more sympathy for that position if I wasn't now forced to use the Verizon outbound server.

I was just fine using my own server that I pay good money to rent through SMPTing on port 25, but as of today that option is no longer possible.  Verizon is making me use their outbound server and now they are putting volume and content limits on me.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@tadfurtado wrote:

Dear Somegirl, I appreciate your tying to put a good spin on this and I would have more sympathy for that position if I wasn't now forced to use the Verizon outbound server.

I was just fine using my own server that I pay good money to rent through SMPTing on port 25, but as of today that option is no longer possible.  Verizon is making me use their outbound server and now they are putting volume and content limits on me.

You don't have to use Verizon's outgoing server. You can use whatever outgoing server you want, just not on port 25. (Most providers have an alternate port available. It's usuallly 587, but not always.)

If your particular server doesn't allow an alternate port and you really don't want to use Verizon's server, find a free one. I recommend Gmail, it's free and their SMTP server uses 465.

tadfurtado
Enthusiast - Level 2

@somegirl wrote:

@tadfurtado wrote:

You don't have to use Verizon's outgoing server. You can use whatever outgoing server you want, just not on port 25. (Most providers have an alternate port available. It's usuallly 587, but not always.)

If your particular server doesn't allow an alternate port and you really don't want to use Verizon's server, find a free one. I recommend Gmail, it's free and their SMTP server uses 465.

As I have said on another thread, yes we do have to use the Verizon outgoing server since this change if our server companies - who didn't ask for and were not given any options about - this change can only handle port 25.

"You can use whatever outgoing server you want" =  you should all have ponies and unicorns.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@tadfurtado wrote:

As I have said on another thread, yes we do have to use the Verizon outgoing server since this change if our server companies - who didn't ask for and were not given any options about - this change can only handle port 25.

"You can use whatever outgoing server you want" =  you should all have ponies and unicorns.

Again:

You can set it up the exact same way (with the exception of the port number) you have Verizon's outgoing server set up now, and you won't have to deal with Verizon's outbound spam filtering.

tadfurtado
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's now day 3 of the new regime and I've now had my 7th blocked message.  Out of maybe 50 emails sent.

This one was a reply to a paying client who wrote and asked me a question.  It seems that her ISP let such a dangerous and spasms message out somehow.

Of course, like I have done with all 6 other such messages, I sent an email off to 'spamdetector.update@verizon.net' to report it.  I certainly do not expect any answer, just like I don't expect any answer from my call yesterday where I was told that I would be called back by 3pm at the latest.

In fairness, he didn't say 3pm on June 3rd of 2010.

Awesome.

0 Likes