Verizon email account is spamming my contacts list
VA_Bill

At 5:03 AM on Tues. April 3, my verizon account sent a spam email out to my contacts list.  A copy of one of the undeliverable messages that bounced back is below (I'm leaving the address in, because it's a dead address).  These spam messages were sent while my computer was turned off, so apparently the Verizon server is the source.

Judging from a Google search and from this forum, the same thing is happening to many verizon email accounts, and the problem apparently is caused by someone hacking into the Verizon email servers.  Any ideas on what a user can do to prevent / stop this from occuring?

I've already run virus scans and malware scans with several different products to make sure my computer is not the source.  They all came up clean.

Obviously, do not click on the link in the sample message below.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Original-recipient: rfc822;waughpenny@aol.com
Final-recipient: rfc822;waughpenny@aol.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns;mailin-03.mx.aol.com (TCP|206.46.173.1|50585|205.188.59.193|25)
(mtain-da10.r1000.mx.aol.com ESMTP Internet Inbound)
Diagnostic-code: smtp;554 5.2.1 : (HVU:B2)
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421hvub2.html

Make An Incredible Income - Follow The Simple Steps
http://youthradio.99k.org/httphomve-l1.php?hiwin=682

Tue, 3 Apr 2012 10:03:55

------------------------------
Sent using Verizon.net Mobile

------------------------------------------

0 Likes
Re: Verizon email account is spamming my contacts list
sking18695

im having the same problem and dont know what to do

0 Likes
Marie99

This is happening to me also, what do you do about it?

0 Likes
igono

Happened to me twice.  So far.  What can we do about it?  Where will answers be?

0 Likes
LegndarySnake
Enthusiast - Level 2

First off, change your password.  If someone hacked Verizon servers then they would have changed your password.  This is more than likely due to a dictionary attack which happens everyday.  Keeping a secure password is the best step.

Unsecure password

butterfly1989

Secure password

But1989Terfly

Dictionary attacks use commonly used words to try and guess your passwords.  After they gain access they send an email to every contact in order to spread.  It is automated.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Very well said legendary +1 change that password asap www.verizon.com/repair
MrEarl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same email spam problem 4/27/12.  My contact list all received a similar  message.  Called Verizon and changed my password.  When I sign in to Verizon I have noticed a situation that seemed strange to me.  Although there is a sign in block in the upper right of the page, a popup would appear over top of the screen asking for the same info.  I had pinned the page to the task bar so that when ever I went to log in that popup would appear.  I unpinned the page and re-pinned a fresh Verizon page and the popup login screen no longer appears. Was this popup a legitimate Verizon screen or a method of obtaining ID and password?

0 Likes