Re: Verizon email is down?
Gidon
Enthusiast - Level 2

My main e-mail account became unavailable between 8:40-8:50 AM EDT, and has been unavailable continuously since then. POP3 fails with SYS/TEMP:

[RFC 3206]  The SYS response code announces that a failure is due to a system error, as opposed to the user's credentials or an external condition. It is hierarchical, with two possible second-level codes: TEMP and PERM. ...

SYS/TEMP indicates a problem which is likely to be temporary in nature, and therefore there is no need to alarm the user, unless the failure persists. Examples might include a central resource which is currently locked or otherwise temporarily unavailable, insufficient free disk or memory, etc.

Webmail reports: "Unable to process your request. Please try again later. ..."

My subaccounts have been fully available.

Telephone tech support at 1:07 PM EDT estimated the outage would continue until 12:00 AM EDT Tues. Oct. 2.

0 Likes
jmzw

email is down in west chester, pa - same error 3002

0 Likes
CharlesWankel

I just spoke with a Verizon tech support person (seemingly in India) who said that the estimated time for Verizon email to back working normally again is 10pm CT. So it might be a 13 hour problem! I am located in Bridgewater, New Jersey.

0 Likes
hweill

been down since last checked at 1:00 PM located in Syosset, on Long Island in NY

0 Likes
jessm78
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Gidon wrote:

My main e-mail account became unavailable between 8:40-8:50 AM EDT, and has been unavailable continuously since then. POP3 fails with SYS/TEMP:

[RFC 3206]  The SYS response code announces that a failure is due to a system error, as opposed to the user's credentials or an external condition. It is hierarchical, with two possible second-level codes: TEMP and PERM. ...

SYS/TEMP indicates a problem which is likely to be temporary in nature, and therefore there is no need to alarm the user, unless the failure persists. Examples might include a central resource which is currently locked or otherwise temporarily unavailable, insufficient free disk or memory, etc.

Webmail reports: "Unable to process your request. Please try again later. ..."

My subaccounts have been fully available.

Telephone tech support at 1:07 PM EDT estimated the outage would continue until 12:00 AM EDT Tues. Oct. 2.

Yep, here in Nassau Co, NY and having same problem.

Outage will continue until midnight tonight??? Holy cr*p, must be really bad if it'll take more than 12 hours since the problem began to fix.... Really hope it won't be longer than that. I hate having to use my Gmail acct in the meantime...

0 Likes
leannajoe1

I just got an email -- 251 p.m.  Came thru on my phone --

I am not getting the many many emails that must have come through since this morning.

0 Likes
leannajoe1

Holy **bleep** my inbox/outbox/drafts are wiped clean!

I hope that doesn't happen!

0 Likes
J0hnny1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bensel3 wrote:

I expect the company I'm paying to provide clear, concise, and accurate trouble reports. I don't expect to have to pry information out of them, or dig into dark back corners of a forum to find critical outage info. I'm very glad they've finally added the autoattendant message that email is down. I find it reprehensible that the nature, scope, and cause is still being hidden, and that there are NO apparent alternatives in a world where redundancy and resilience is drilled into all IT staff everywhere, and is a practical business consideration for a host of reasons.</quote>

Absolutely they should have enough redundancy to cover these kind of issues and they should keep the customer informed. 

When I complained to the BBB about the extreme decrease in QOS with FIOS internet, they sent 10 people to my house over the course of two months. the people pretty much did the same things everytime they came to my house: they either changed the router or switched something on the fiber box, or sometimes both. There was no rhyme or reason to what they did, and it never fixed anything. It was like they had no idea what they were doing, and no idea what anyone else had done at my house.  I finally stopped letting them come to my house since it was wasting my time (I actually had to sit around waiting for them), and they couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag.

I guess I'm not surprised that something like this outage is happening considering my experiences with their level of competence, even though it is still inexcusable. 

0 Likes
jhecht
Enthusiast - Level 2

Down in Newton, MA since sometime after 4:39 a.m Eastern time, which is when the last email arrived. My account is the primary one for FIOS.

Thankfully, most of my incoming comes through my own domain or through Gmail. This is the first place on the Net I've seen any mention of it. Tried to do an online chat but had to leave after an hour and nobody had gotten to me by then. 

0 Likes
valpreston

Just receveived 3 emails in the last 10 minutes... all current emails.  It appears that everything in the hours they were down is missing.  Any hope that these emails will show up at some point?

0 Likes