Re: Verizon email is down?
bensel3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, the service is accepting logins again, though the boxes are all completely empty.

I'm holding out hope that the restoration is still in progress, and some pending next-step is restoring the data not just the service.

I hope whatever they opt to do they don't manage to overwrite any email received between now (when the box is up, but empty) and when they implement the restore/rollback to whatever they had saved.

Particularly vexing since even with a client you may well not be storing anything but headers on your local machine (depending on configuration).

I suppose I should be glad they don't have IMAP, since that would arguably have taken EVERYTHING out, particularly if there was a bad client sync that could also eat your local copies.

--

Paul

(Edit: It appears other online reports (only a few on Google, unless I blew keywords) are only reporting this in terms of either Phone (4G) or Webmail, not that it is anything email. None of the reports beyond this thread mention empty boxes for people who were impacted but might now be 'back' such as it is.)

0 Likes
GalwayJim

Mine is not back.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Mine is working in Montgomery County Maryland. Perhaps it is webmail. I don't use it.

0 Likes
99RedDragons

Mine is back up, one email address is normal and the other one is totally empty, both accessed from the same computer.

0 Likes
Email service interruption
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus
Merged with Original Thread.
0 Likes
Email service interruption
BombayBob

Haven't been able to send/receive email all day.  Customer service said it will be out until tomorrow morning?  Sounds like a hacker!

0 Likes
ginak2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bergen Country, NJ is not back. Still getting the line of code after reopening IE.

They will probably blame cyberterrorists.

I resent the comment that email is free. Would they make it work right if it wasn't? I doubt it. I also pay plenty for FIOS.

Also there are freelance businesses that don't have websites and domain names. I'm a new freelance writer, and this is a great lesson in doing what Verizon obviously does not. I previously worked day jobs for several companies and we never had a mess like this. We always had backups and redundancy.

I think I read in this string somewhere that people paying for small business email did not go down.

And would anyone like to comment on the cloud-based web mail? Is this what we can expect from the newfangled "cloud" applications? Gigantic server farms out of control? No redundancy so everything is lost?

I guess it will be gmail for me and I'll have to spend the money to get Outlook so I can download and back up important email. This will be a vicious loss for me if they can't restore the entire web-based/cloud application and restore my personal folders. And here I thought cloud applications were safe. Has the industry learned nothing all these years?

0 Likes
GalwayJim

My mail is back up, albeit with empty folders.

0 Likes
techome

Have working Webmail and Outlook is able to send.  I have 2 test messages and one email that is from 2:38 CST. Nothing in between about 4:15 am and 2:38 CST.

From Carrollton, TX

0 Likes
jessm78
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still not working in Nassau county, NY. I was able to send a test email to myself but still cannot receive emails via Outlook (the log in box keeps popping up and will not go away). I'm assuming POP3 server is still messed up? *sigh* 😞

Edit: Okay, well it finally was able to check for new messages but said I had none. And I know this is wrong because I get notifications from several websites and I am expecting some. Where did they go? Don't tell me they were eaten. I didn't even receive the test email I just sent to myself. I hope everything is just backlogged and we'll receive them all later. *crosses fingers*

0 Likes