Re: Verizon.net Email Login Issue
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

Does anyone know how to set up Thunderbird to access verizon email via imap instead of pop? I removed my verizon account in Thunderbird and then recreated it, but it never offered me the option to use imap, just pop.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I tried the procedure outlined at the following AOL help page. I re-added my verizon.net account to my smartphone and both of my Surface devices and everything is functioning properly.  😊

The downside is that you will be required to accept a new system-generated password. 😫

Create and manage third-party app passwords - AOL Help

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

This is happening to me too, started exactly as described by OP here.

It is happening on my old XP PC running Outlook 2003, but I can see here that it is affecting newer PCs with other email apps.

I have reset my Outlook with the recommended POP3 settings and email account password - no luck.  (And they were the same as before anyway.)  My Outlook 2003 is working fine with a second, completely different email account (not verizon or aol).

Is this happening because verizon sold aol???

What do we do next?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Give the procedure outlined at the site I linked above a whirl and see if it helps.  🙂

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

dexman - thanks.  will i have to remember that random-generated password forever, or next time on my Outlook can I go back to my original password?

Just to confirm - can I continue to use my original password when I check my emails on a browser (going to mail.aol.com) not using Outlook?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a permanent change. I made a Word document with these system generated passwords and saved it to the cloud. The document is written in such a way that only I know what's what. 🙂

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

dexman - will I have to use that new password when I want to sign in on a browser?  Or can I continue to use my current password?

What a pain.

EDIT - I took the plunge, got the random password from AOL, put it into my Outlook, and it's working.  What a pain!!!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It will become the new password. I've generated a Word document with my Verizon/AOL passwords and saved it to a cloud account. The document is typed in such a way that only I can associate an account with the password. 🙂

0 Likes
Gladlys
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem. I am using Outlook 365 on a Microsoft Surface book, and I continually get a message asking me to enter my username and password for the server "smtp.verizon.net". My username and password are already populated. I say okay and the message goes away, but I can neither send nor receive email. This started happening today, July 13, 2021. Prior to now I had no problems sending or receiving emails.

I also have an iPhone and an iPad. All day today, neither one would send or receive my verizion.net emails. Those devices would just say "checking for mail" for a while, then error out. Just now, my iphone email started working again. But the Outlook email will still neither send nor receive. I have no idea what made the iPhone suddenly start working. I have not changed anything on any of the devices.

Rebooting my computer has no effect. Outlook 365 still will neither send nor receive emails.

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

gladlys - follow dexman's advice starting a few posts up.  Worked for me just now on my Outlook desktop, and if you find your app in the aol instructions, I'm sur it will work for you.  Just remember to store some copies of the newly generated random password somewhere.

0 Likes