Re: Verizon.net Email Login Issue
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

AOL/Verizon did send out notifications about the change to @aol/aim.com accounts a while ago.

If I remember correctly, there was no mention of @verizon.net accounts. Once all three of my devices reported not being able to access my verizon.net account my first thought that this was just a correctable problem.

Shortly thereafter, I realized what was happening and located the link to the article that explains the procedure to resolve the problem. 🙂

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

In order to get my verizon.net account accessible, I also had to manually configure it in the Samsung and Microsoft email apps.

So, for instance, I have to set it up as an imap account as opposed to a pop account and enter the correct incoming and outgoing settings.

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

As I noted above, my Outlook 2003 on my XP machine is now connecting as before to [myname]@verizon.net and receiving and sending emails, using POP3 as always.  I had obtained one new password from the AOL guidance page for that purpose.

However, my iPad's Mail app also pulls my verizon.net emails, I think on an IMAP basis, but it has not pulled any email for about two weeks and a few sent emails are backed up in its Outbox.  Do I need a separate password from AOL to re-connect it, or do I use the same one I just used on my PC's Outlook 2003? 

Thanks for your guidance.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I, personally, do not own any Apple products, so, I do not have a first-hand answer. My suspicion is that once you changed with password, it should have updated every device.

Here are the income & outgoing settings I use:

imap.aol.com:993:1 (incoming)

smtp.aol.com:465:1 (outgoing)

Do these match what are on the iPad? ðŸ¤”

Re: Outlook cannot connect with Verizon (AoL) email.
retiredoldman

I have the same problem, but I was trying to establish an IMTP account.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the procedure provided here help? ðŸ¤”

SamFam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dexman, yes, this procedure DOES work--even though I have NEVER enabled 2-factor authentication on the AoL site.  I NEVER use the AoL site to check mail, but evidently it periodically, randomly assumes 2-factor to be active, & I lose my ability to check email from a 3rd party client.  Even though I have confirmed that 2-factor authentication is disabled on the AoL site, the ONLY way to get my Pop email on my Outlook client now is by using the "app password" feature as described in this link. A word of caution to ALL users out there that use a 3rd party email client to retrieve their Verizon (AoL) messages; even though the AoL site shows 2-factor authentication as being "off" it appears that it now requires the AoL generated "app password" to retrieve pop messages. I have had to setup separate passwords for all of my devices that retrieve my pop Verizon email via a 3rd party client, and assume this will be an ongoing problem in perpetuity. I've had nothing but trouble since Verizon forced me onto AoL, but unless I want to go through the pain of changing a longstanding email address I've used for years, I guess I'm stuck with it...

Thanks, 

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My two AOL accounts along with my verizon.net account are set up as Imap. I think this was an across the board change on the part of AOL. 🤔

Bob1410
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hasn't worked for me. O/A Jul 13 I could still receive mail on Thunderbird from Aol, but couldn't send. Migrated to an Outlook account I set up a couple years ago when we had a similar problem. Today tried to set the one-time app password for the Verizon account on Aol and succeeded in sending a couple msgs with it once I changed from smtp.verizon.net to smtp.aol,com, but then it stopped working, and the old password still wouldn't work. And I find Thunderbird still sends mail on smtp.verizon.net despite having set smtp.aol.com as default. IMHO this is a problem for Mozilla and Aol to work out.

0 Likes
neh1

Only my primary account has the login issue. To login into my primary account I have to go to the AOL web site "mail.aol.com" and go to the account profile, security and generate a new password each time I want to use outlook to access my primary email account.

This is more than a little annoying and wasted time. Verizon says it is an AOL issue. I do not care who is responsibl, but FIOS/Verizon needs to take care of the issue and not bury their head in the sand and not claim any responsibility to the email that they provide. What ISP doesn't offer quality email?

0 Likes