Re: Verizon.net Email Login Issue
neh1

Maybe we should get the government involved (FCC, etc.) because this is really a bigger deal when it comes to hindering, preventing, (AOL would like you to buy a premium account), and Verizon collusion, preventing email communication.

0 Likes
KLS11
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Dexman,  THANKYOU!!

You deserve a community hero award.  I followed the link you suggested,

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in

installed the system generated password and was able to setup my email on my android and on the new PC I had to buy recently.  Rather than choosing a particular application though, I chose other.  I think I was forece to enter the server names, ports and turn on SSL/TLS encryption.  BUT IT WORKED becasue you shared the missing piece of info that AOHell and VeriAssin were too inconsiderate to post.

Now, I can re-install the real Office rather than O365 Rent-A-Software.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

🙂

0 Likes
POP and SMTP on verizon email stopped working on 7/8/21
mdstone
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've seen similar posts here, but no answers, except one that said the question was escalated to a private conversation, which doesn't help the rest of us.

I have several Verizon.net addresses. One AND ONLY ONE of those has stopped working with POP and SMTP. It was previously working on two computers running Outlook 2003 and one Android phone. The last email recieved was July 8. Neither SMTP nor POP works on any of the three devices for this address, while other addresses work without problems on all three devices. I can still sign on to AOL online with the same user name and password, so that's not the problem.  The fact that it stopped working on three different devices and only on one email address suggests the problem is in the account itself.

Using POP 995, SMTP 465, SSL for both.

Can anybody help?

0 Likes
Re: POP and SMTP on verizon email stopped working on 7/8/21
longtimevzcust
Enthusiast - Level 2

As stated above, you may need to generate an app specific password. I ran into this problem this morning. Take a look at:

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in 

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I set-up my Verizon email account as IMAP as opposed to POP.

imap.aim.com

and

smtp.aim.com

0 Likes
mdstone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will change services before I will accept using IMAP.  I have no need to store old emails in the cloud for a hacker to potentially find. As it is, and unlike Verizon's old email before handing the service over to AOL, AOL won't actually delete messages when I have my client set to delete them, so I have to manually go in and delete them every day. Can't do that with IMAP without also deleting the messages on my local store when IMAP synchs them up.

0 Likes
mdstone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks much. The separate pw worked on one of my pcs. I'm guessing it will work on the other as well. Any idea why this is only necessary on one of my email addresses? Do you know if AOL in the process of rolling this annoyance out one batch of addresses at a time and without alerting customers? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I'm going to have to do the same with my other email addresses eventually.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

AOL sent notification to users with AOL email accounts advising of the changes. The way that it was written, it gave me the impression that AOL accounts would not be able to be accessed using Microsoft-based apps.

I did some digging and found the page that explains how to utilize the workaround, which I implemented to get my AOL accounts up & running on my Samsung smartphone and Microsoft Surface devices.

The document didn't mention verizon.net accounts, but, when my Verizon email account became unreachable, I dug-up the URL and got the Verizon account back.  ðŸ™‚

0 Likes
ehfm7409
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here.  Lost email access on 7/27 on both Android cell phone (BlueMail) and desktop Win10 (Thunderbird).  The AOL help pages are garbage.  I have "removed" and added back the Thunderbird account and it doesn't work.  Same for BlueMail.  I am so sick of this.  Verizon fobbed support off to AOL.com.  AOL.com refuses to proved email support because, you know, "COVID," and no, I am not joking that is the spam reply that AOL.com sent me.  They want me to pay for "Premium" phone support to fix something that they broke on their end?  No.  I will cancel my Verizon cable channels before I pay AOL.com one penny.

0 Likes