I had my verizon.net email (aol) account running smoothly on my Outlook 2007 client. The Outlook client stopped downloading mail a couple weeks ago. I am having a heck of a time setting up my verizon.net email account back to using it on my Outlook client. I looked at this Create and manage third-party app passwords - AOL Help
and unfortunately it did not help.
I feel like such an idiot as I used to be pretty good at this stuff.
Thanks to anyone who wants to assist.
When I went through the process of resolving the issue for my computers, I remember seeing a list of services that the changes one could select from. I think Outlook was on the list.
I, myself, use the native Microsoft & Samsung Email apps to access my verizon.net & aol.com accounts. Outlook is reserved for my outlook.com accounts.