Verizon.net Email Will Not Work with Outlook 2010 After Verizon/Yahoo Fix
JJC46

Hello,

My Verizon.net email account will not re-install on my Outlook 2010 account.  I did use the new settings provided by Verizon but I get the following two error messages when Outlook tests the connection: 1.) Server responded -Err (Auth) Authorization failed, and 2.)  Server did not support encryption type specified contact server adm.

I know my password is correct, I did set the account up according to the new setings recommended by Yahoo/Verizon.  I must have repeated the process ten times and I get the messages mentioned above.  Most frustrating of all is my verizon.net account used to work perfectly on Outlook 2010 until recently.  Does any one have a solution or some suggestions?

Thank you,

Jim C

0 Likes
Re: Verizon.net Email Will Not Work with Outlook 2010 After Verizon/Yahoo Fix
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are your outlook settings?

My setting below work fine with 2007, 2010 and 2013

setting for my verizon account are

my name

my email address

incoming pop.verizon.net

outgoing smtp.verizon.net

my username and password for the mail box

More settings general the name of the account

outgoing server requires authenication checked

advanced incoming port (pop3) 995

check server requires ssl

outgoing server(smtp) port 465

use encrypted connection ssl

0 Likes
gba2013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issues as Jim the original poster.

Three questions for someone who has this working on Outlook 2010: 

1.  Did you modify your existing account or delete it and add a new one with the new settings? 

2. On the primary account page did you click 'Require logon using Secure Password Authentications (SPA)"?

3. When you subsequently get prompted for user name do you just use your handle (eg 'fred') or do you use fred@verizon.net 

I've tried a lot of combinations and cannot get it to work.  

I also have not been able to get it to work in Android on the standard mail app.   I loaded the Yahoo mail app and it does work through there.  

Thanks, 

Gordon

0 Likes
gba2013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I managed to get my Outlook 2010 sending/receiving again.  

The issue is if you have a Verizon Yahoo account.  

If so, your incoming POP3 is incoming.yahoo.verizon.net

and your outgoing SMTO is outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net 

Ports set to 995 and 465 with SSL enabled and the other settings previously mentioned.  

Knowing the correct combination also allowed me to get my default mail app on Android working again.  

Gordon 

HAS0458
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gordon, thanks for the solution. Much appreciated. I was having the same problem since Friday the 13th, how appropriate. Had my settings per the latest Verizon specs and spent close to an hour on chat with a customer rep who obviously had no clue about the server settings being different with a Verizon Yahoo account. Re-set them per your response and now my Verizon.net mail is coming through on Windows Live client.

Hank

0 Likes
SteveARosa1

Dear Gordon,   (Or anyone else who may know)

• I'm picking on you because you seem to understand more than most even more than those associated with Verizon themselves.  I too have OutLook 2010 and NEED my email client to operate successfully.  I have my own domain name and need to use this than that of Verizon.  All I need from Verizon is to get onto the world wide web which I have.  Can you direct me where I can locate the settings using my own domain name or tell me what they are?  If not, any information you can give me would be more than appreciated 10 fold!  Thanking you... Merry Christmas and a Happy, easier, New Year!

~  Steve

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SteveARosa wrote:

Dear Gordon,   (Or anyone else who may know)

• I'm picking on you because you seem to understand more than most even more than those associated with Verizon themselves.  I too have OutLook 2010 and NEED my email client to operate successfully.  I have my own domain name and need to use this than that of Verizon.  All I need from Verizon is to get onto the world wide web which I have.  Can you direct me where I can locate the settings using my own domain name or tell me what they are?  If not, any information you can give me would be more than appreciated 10 fold!  Thanking you... Merry Christmas and a Happy, easier, New Year!

~  Steve

setting for my private domain name account are (my isp is Network Solution)

my name

my domain name email address

My mailbox name at my isp - mail.xxxxx.xxxx - your isp would give you this and it's also typically how you read web mail in a browser

outgoing smtp.verizon.net

my username and password for the mail box

More settings general the name of the account

outgoing server requires authenication checked

my verizon user name and password

advanced incoming port (pop3) whatever port your isp gave you (mine is 110)

uncheck server requires ssl - this also whatever your isp told you to use netsol does not require an encrypted session

outgoing server(smtp) port 465

use encrypted connection ssl

If your isp gave you and outgoing mail server address and port (as gmail does) you can use that instead of the verizon outgoing server.

0 Likes