Verizon's Defective System Wide E-Mail Spam Filter
lutzct

I'm posting this  because I have  a serious, troubling problem with Verizon’s e-mail system. Verizon has been unable to fix it, and I hoped some user might be more help than Verizon itself.

In the last several days, what I am told is a “Verizon wide” spam filter has begun irregularly bouncing messages to our home e-mail ( a Verizon address)) from other email accounts it has long accepted. An example is my office email, from which I have communicated with the home email for a long time. Beginning this morning, about half of the "office to home" emails have resulted in a bounce back message telling me that “Email from {edited for privacy} is currently blocked by Verizon Online's anti-spam system”

I went on line and checked our home email account. The bounced messages were not in our spam folder. I turned off the spam filter we can control , but a message from my office was subsequently blocked. I also sent  a message to verizon.net/whitelist to report the problem.

While this was happening, I learned that, for the last several days, messages from my wife's friends and business associates have been also blocked.  Of course, she doesn’t know all the affected messages, because we get no notice of the bounced backs and nothing is in the spam folder.

I called Verizon support. An hour on the phone focused the source of the problem but provided no solutions. It appears that in addition to the spam filter we can control (which has a spam folder) Verizon has its own system spam filter that decides, based on criteria no one could explain, that some messages should be blocked but does not tell us. Worse,  it keeps no record of what it has bounced. It relies entirely on disappointed senders to ask to be unblocked.

Unanswered were questions like these (1) Why would the system suddenly decide to block messages from addresses that had been fine for years (with no increase in message volume)? (2) Why would some messages from an address be blocked as spam and others not? (3) Other than phone contact from disappointed e-mailers, how are we supposed to know who is getting an inexplicable stiff arm from the Verizon filter? (4) Why doesn't Verizon keep a record of who it bounces?

Has anyone else experienced this.

Any suggestions? Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Verizon's Defective System Wide E-Mail Spam Filter
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi lutzct,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon's Defective System Wide E-Mail Spam Filter
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We have closed your private support case. Please make a new post anytime you need help.

- Jose_VZ

0 Likes